I think the Rams have several players on "prove it" contracts...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And I also think most of them don't even quite know it.

S&F have reached the "win now" point in their Ram career trajectory. Sure, they're gonna get their '16 opportunity, but they don't want to finish their contracts while clinging to the ledge by their fingernails.

And that, in turn, probably means that they will act boldly if they see players underperforming this year relative to contracts and/or on field play. ESPECIALLY the latter.

Here are a few names that might be casualties after this year. They obviously vary in likelihood of leaving.

Some names may surprise, but still...

Foles
GRob (in terms of LOT status)
Barnes
Britt
Quick
Saffold (yeah, I said it)
Cook
Kendricks
Long
Hayes
Sims
Fairley
J Lau
Ayers
Tru Johnson
McLeod
Zuerlein

Of course, not all the above will be gone after this season.

But a few just might be. Or find themselves riding the pine, anyway.

I, for one, have had issues with the play of each one on my list at various times already in parts of the first 5 games.

I further think that none are irreplaceable, if necessary.

In fact, my sacred cow list for the Rams this year is a very short one...

Gurley
Quinn
Donald
Ogletree
McDonald
Hekker

All other players (and coaches) need to really impress the hell out of me to get on my "untouchable" list.

Other opinions may vary. Lol.

Rant over. BTW, did I miss anybody?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Foles
Barnes
Britt
Quick
Cook
Kendricks
Long
Hayes
Sims
Fairley
J Lau
Ayers
Tru Johnson
McLeod
Zuerlein

rotfl.PNG
Your right, in one respect, this list is waaay too long! And a lot of these players have nothing to prove!

Gurley
Quinn
Donald
Ogletree
McDonald
Hekker
This List is waaay too short! At the very least, I'd add JL, and Long! JMHO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Here are a few names that might be casualties after this year. They obviously vary in likelihood of leaving.

Some names may surprise, but still...

Foles
Barnes
Britt
Quick
Cook
Kendricks
Long
Hayes
Sims
Fairley
J Lau
Ayers
Tru Johnson
McLeod
Zuerlein
Well here's some comments...

Foles (if we can draft Goff or Hogan or Cook, I'm really down) Shoulda NEVER traded for him if this is how ANYONE besides the fans feel...

GRob (in terms of LOT status) Are you serious?

Barnes Meh...he's not the problem...

Britt....Not the problem either...

Quick...Are you serious???

Saffold (yeah, I said it) Shoulda NEVER re-worked the contract...At least my boy Wichmann should get a start soon...He can play a lil bit.

Cook....Don't know about Cook....Sure doesn't have TE type hands...He's a threat on every play...

Kendricks...shoulda NEVER re-signed him...draft a sure handed rookie.

Long...get well soon Chris...

Hayes...looked good to me yesterday...or was it

Sims..you,,,didn't miss...what's his name...any.

Fairley...came to play, wouldn't suprise me to see him back...

J Lau...oh god...I mean...

Ayers..didn't see much yestersday

Tru Johnson....stupid to let either of our corners go..

McLeod..big play magnet...the guy we had..that plays for the Broncos...makes me sick to see out there...still giving up huge plays. Poor angles...poor tackler...what did we expect outta a UDFA

Zuerlein...really? ...but those 50 & 60 yarders, may have thrown off his rhythm....may have....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well here's some comments...

Foles (if we can draft Goff or Hogan or Cook, I'm really down) Shoulda NEVER traded for him if this is how ANYONE besides the fans feel...

GRob (in terms of LOT status) Are you serious?

Barnes Meh...he's not the problem...

Britt....Not the problem either...

Quick...Are you serious???

Saffold (yeah, I said it) Shoulda NEVER re-worked the contract...At least my boy Wichmann should get a start soon...He can play a lil bit.

Cook....Don't know about Cook....Sure doesn't have TE type hands...He's a threat on every play...

Kendricks...shoulda NEVER re-signed him...draft a sure handed rookie.

Long...get well soon Chris...

Hayes...looked good to me yesterday...or was it

Sims..you,,,didn't miss...what's his name...any.

Fairley...came to play, wouldn't suprise me to see him back...

J Lau...oh god...I mean...

Ayers..didn't see much yestersday

Tru Johnson....stupid to let either of our corners go..

McLeod..big play magnet...the guy we had..that plays for the Broncos...makes me sick to see out there...still giving up huge plays. Poor angles...poor tackler...what did we expect outta a UDFA

Zuerlein...really? ...but those 50 & 60 yarders, may have thrown off his rhythm....may have....

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion(s), Champ.

I think you may have missed the context of my list. I dunno.

I think every single one of my listed players falls into two possible categories. Emphasis POSSIBLE and depending on their respective on field performance in the remaining 11 games, that is.

1) A possible trade or release. (Fairley is such an example).

2) A possible loss of starting status while still remaining with the team. And yeah, that could include Foles, Saffold, GRob, and J Lau, among others.

Additionally, some players may be faced with the necessity of accepting a salary reduction to remain. This category might include Long, J Lau, Cook, and Saffold off the top of my head.

Point is that some of these players are not performing up to their contracts and/or perceived talent levels.

I agree that most will remain in one way or another. But I do believe that some may see their status as starters lost after this next draft and FA period. And some may simply find themselves no longer on the Ram roster.

For example, this next draft is LOADED with WR's, TE's, and DE's. And we have 4 picks through the top 75, probably.

Finally, I stand by my list of only 6 truly untouchables. Long and J Lau are definitely not among them. And I really like both players, btw.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Any player up for a new contract should be moving on if they're asking more than they're worth, which I know is subjective and captain obvious, but I'll address the list because I think it's fun.

Foles - Even if they draft a QB, he's in contract for 2 years now right? Outside of something weird, I'm pretty sure they keep him. Thinking of him as a two year try out.

Robinson - He's the least likely on this to be cut on this list. Even if they decide to go in a different direction, they can easily use him elsewhere along the line.

Barnes - Big time show me deal. He may well decide to test free agency again, and we may have some competition signing if he plays well enough this time around.

Britt - Yes, he definitely has competition, so he'll at least have to be worth his second year contract.

Quick - No doubt, this kid has to put up numbers this year. But honestly if he doesn't play well, who's really competing with us for his services, so he could well be receiver depth regardless of how sour fans are on him relative to his draft position.

Saffold - Depends on whether or not they need to spend elsewhere. Could end up moving on from him just like we did Bradford. We have Whichman.

Cook - He definitely has high potential for being cut if necessary.

Kendricks - Competing with Cook. And it's not so cut and dry with the continued emergence of our run game.

Long - He's a significant boost to the DL, and I don't see them getting out from under his salary unless absolutely necessary.

Hayes, Sims, Fairley - Great depth, and we sure need them now. Really depends on money. Who couldn't see a significant pick on DE next year? We love our DL too much, and it works.

Laurinaitus - Just no way, people love to hate him but he's playing well and his contract gets more cap friendly toward the end. Just not a good value to cut this guy. But, again I've seen the potential for a higher round draft pick spent on a linebacker for this team.

Ayers - I'd be surprised if he's still here. Ogletree out sure does mean we'll get a look at what everyone else can do.

Johnson - Even if Jenkins if flawless this year, I'll always be wondering if his ego propels him to making mistakes once he signs the big contract. I think he and Johnson are competing hard for the payday. But our secondary is improving.

McLeod - Are you kidding? Term memory.

Zuerlein - I know people are upset about three missed field goals, but one was freaking blocked and the two others were super long. Still, if they can upgrade him cheaply they'll do it.

The reason for looking at this is completely valid. What glaring holes do we really have, that we can't draft for BPA within reason as a good scheme fit? This team has more options than ever, and they are moving away from having to overpay I think.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
A possible loss of starting status while still remaining with the team. And yeah, that could include Foles, Saffold, GRob, and J Lau, among others.

Additionally, some players may be faced with the necessity of accepting a salary reduction to remain. This category might include Long, J Lau, Cook, and Saffold off the top of my head.

Point is that some of these players are not performing up to their contracts and/or perceived talent levels.
Oh, okay....I thought you meant just get rid of these guys....Contract restructure for some....and I mean team friendly deals...You can't continue to pay top $$$ (TE for example), for average play....and try to become competitive...
I haven't seen a real TE prospect in college this year....sure there's a couple out there...I have seen a DE I'd love to be in horns...A wr too...

V3

Hall of Fame
IMO, Cook, Saffold, Long, and JL are either cut or have to sign a smaller contract. I don't think Fisher is willing to admit GRob was a mistake so he's going to stay at LT. Kendricks just signed his contract so I don't think anything will happen with him.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For both @Champ and @flv.

You guys both posted thoughtful and well reasoned replies. Much appreciated.

I could have done a better job explaining the thrust of my original post, but this was fun.

Just as an aside, I'm not hating on any of the players I listed. I hope they all settle down and finish the season in a spectacular manner. That's what my heart is telling me.

But my head is telling me that some probably won't survive the next offseason. And still others may be lost due to contract issues.

fearsomefour

Legend
If the Rams decide Robinson is not a LT in the NFL that just means they save money by letting Saffold go with Robinson moving inside.