I think Quinn is a back up level player now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I almost posted on this. When I finally sat down and watched the game last night, I was overall encouraged, despite the game result. This was one of the few plays I was disappointed in Quinn.
  1. TG should have lowered his shoulder and cut inside for the TD.
  2. Tavon either has eye tracking issues, or is in a panic that he is being phased out, and it is manifesting itself in the high-pressure task of catching a punt. (I really do admire guys that can do this, but the Rams will not and should not throw a psychology experiment out for punt returns)
  3. Finally, Robert Quinn half-assed a defenders dream: a free shot at a quarterback on a return of a fumble or interception. Maybe this is a bit harsh, but a pancake block, and maybe Johnson scores.

This is more my take away from this game. Overall I was encouraged by Quinns effort, strength and results. I am encouraged that he may get back to being called "the Mighty Quinn" again.

Wilson has pretty good speed, and his angle may have been enough to cause Johnson to recalculate his return, but the point here is that at the time Quinn caught up, Wilson was stopped and waiting on Johnson. Quinn had nearly a unmoving target.

Maybe semantics, here. But "a step away" is not necessarily a step slower. Keep in mind, Les, a good quarterback, (Wilson is good) sees the pressure coming and releases the ball before getting hit. It is a win for the defender, and counted as a "QB hurry", or a "QB hit" in the stat sheet. How many of those did he have yesterday?
Love your thread the only thing I want to address is the Quinn non block. You made a good point But Johnson put quinn in a bad position when he cut back it allowed Wilson to cut off his angle and in turn it made Quinn out of position. If Quinn was to tackle him at best it’s a block in the back at worse Quinn lays out Wilson then next thing you know you get the dirty player label, might get fined and suspended or tossed out the game. It just wasn’t a lot of positives to be gained by laying out Wilson

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@nighttrain rewatch the play and tell me if Quinn wasn’t behind Wilson, Wilson wasn’t facing Quinn if he hits him it’s a block in the back

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's his back. I think it's that his mind isn't in it any more. He's well paid, and coasting a bit with the new system, where mentally he is an old dog that doesn't really want to learn how to be an edge OLB in a 3-4.

It's effort and buy-in. And IMO guys like that you give them some time and coaching to improve but at some point you gotta move them. He will never be the same guy for us again in horns.

And he's not the only guy who should be traded. Don't want to hijack this thread but there's a few of them that need to go and this team will be better moving forward.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I don't really care what the problem is. Age. Injury. New system. It doesn't matter. Quinn needs to pick it up sooner rather than later. If he doesn't his snaps should go elsewhere. The best players need to play. I am a Quinn fan. He has done a lot for his team. But we can't be starting him over more effective DEs if we want to be a contender. I give him another game or two to get back to old form. If he doesn't I'd prefer he gets transitioned into a backup role (either way, he will probably be cut as a cap casualty next year).

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  • TG should have lowered his shoulder and cut inside for the TD.
  • Tavon either has eye tracking issues, or is in a panic that he is being phased out, and it is manifesting itself in the high-pressure task of catching a punt. (I really do admire guys that can do this, but the Rams will not and should not throw a psychology experiment out for punt returns)
  • Finally, Robert Quinn half-assed a defenders dream: a free shot at a quarterback on a return of a fumble or interception. Maybe this is a bit harsh, but a pancake block, and maybe Johnson scores.

every single one of those is spot on...

I personally think he never had great hands...but with all the comp at the wr position, he's pressing a bit...and struggles keeping his eyes on the ball....punt returning IS hard....it's why I would have kept him returning KO's too....just for the extra work...even if he downed most of them...plus it would scare the shit out of most teams.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Backup OLB Longacre seems to want to be Starting OLB Longacre doesn't he, he is playing very, very well.

Undrafted street FA gem from Snead. Western Missouri State? Did anyone hear even know that was a college LOL?

Sure, one of the schools the Waterboy played while at South Central Louisiana State University...

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
every single one of those is spot on...

I personally think he never had great hands...but with all the comp at the wr position, he's pressing a bit...and struggles keeping his eyes on the ball....punt returning IS hard....it's why I would have kept him returning KO's too....just for the extra work...even if he downed most of them...plus it would scare the crap out of most teams.

I never played organized football due to custody issues. But I would shag punts from time to time.

If you've never caught a legit punt of over 40 yards, it's WAY harder than it looks. Ball hits the hands really damn hard. And even with good rotation, the doggone thing comes at you like a knuckleball.

I don't envy a single punt returner from high school and beyond because you have to catch a cannonball that's moving side to side WHILE a horde of angry barbarians is charging at you with the devil in them.

It's not an excuse for poor play. That said, it's one of the few jobs I tend to not want to criticize. That's just me.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ball hits the hands really damn hard.

That's been Austin's problem..........he doesn't always use his hands. You have to use your hands to bring the ball in and he lets it hit his body or shoulder or bicep first sometimes.

If he is going to be the PR then he should practice fielding the punts a lot more than he has been because he muffs them too often.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
FYI Quinn has 6 tackles this year. I just looked because I was curious.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I feel like his back injury ruined things for him. He used to have such incredible explosiveness and bend around the edge... I used to call him gumby. haha.

He just doesn't look the same out there...
To me he just looks a little gun-shy. He's more worried about re-injuring his back then maybe he should be but going through a severe injury like that can do that to you.
You realize you're not indestructible.

To me the hesitation he shows and the lack of contact means he's done.

…..

Legend
FYI Quinn has 6 tackles this year. I just looked because I was curious.

But 11 career sacks against that annoying little rat Wussel Wilson

We need to make sure Quinn is Quinn when we play those bitches again.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IMO Quinn has been Playing on par with the rest of our "D" this season.

Most of the starter sat-out the pre-season, and have not been playing there best football the 1st quarter of the Season! But they are getting Better and Better each game, Learning Wade's New system!

Quinn has been picking it up a little each game, in Sundays game he had 3 Tackles - 1 sack - 1 Tackle for Loss and 2 QB hits. And he looked like he was having Fun doing it!!(y);):D I like that!

…..

Legend
IMO Quinn has been Playing on par with the rest of our "D" this season.

Most of the starter sat-out the pre-season, and have not been playing there best football the 1st quarter of the Season! But they are getting Better and Better each game, Learning Wade's New system!

Quinn has been picking it up a little each game, in Sundays game he had 3 Tackles - 1 sack - 1 Tackle for Loss and 2 QB hits. And he looked like he was having Fun doing it!!(y);):D I like that!

DeMarcus Ware was considered a force, and over his final 5 years (3 in Wades defense) he averaged 12 games, 7.5 sacks, and about 26 tackles per year. I'm not expecting much more than that from Quinn.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DeMarcus Ware was considered a force, and over his final 5 years (3 in Wades defense) he averaged 12 games, 7.5 sacks, and about 26 tackles per year. I'm not expecting much more than that from Quinn.
Quinn has to pick it up to even match that production

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
We need to make sure Quinn is Quinn
Dude. Quinn hasn't been Quinn for years now.
He hasn't been himself since he suffered that severe back injury.

Production is real.

Hope is not.

We need to understand this about Tavon and Quinn in particular.

We can't sit around losing games and hoping these guys play up to whatever pie-in-the-sky potential they have.
It's not real, production is real.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And what does this have to do with Quinn?

…..

Legend
Dude. Quinn hasn't been Quinn for years now.
He hasn't been himself since he suffered that severe back injury.

Production is real.

Hope is not.

We need to understand this about Tavon and Quinn in particular.

We can't sit around losing games and hoping these guys play up to whatever pie-in-the-sky potential they have.
It's not real, production is real.

Okay Mr Snead, make your move. Hope yourself to a solution NOW. Cause thats where we are. We're in the now. Clearly you have all the answer about whats real and not real.

And what does this have to do with Quinn?

similar players, similar build, similar defenses, similar coach, similar point in their careers. I'm sorry if my comparison does not meet your approval.

Look I get it if you want to be rid of Tavon and Quinn and whoever else that appears in your cross hairs next that may not meet your expectations. That's your right. But the fact of the matter is they are still on the fucking team!! They are still Rams, and while they are I'm going to hope for them, root for them, support them and cheer em on.

I might even feel the same as you, but I'm not going to spend the year talking down about our players when theres still more than 2/3's of the season left. We can trash em all you want in the off season.

But hey....you have at it, see how far it gets you around here.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You could be on to something. Right now Quinn has 2 1/2 Sacks (#2 on the Team behind Longacre, who has 3 Sacks)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Dog. It has nothing to do with my approval.

Here are the facts;
Quinn was elite. He deserve the contract they gave him.

Quinn was severely injured. (Btw, DeMarcus Ware was not)

This team has given him plenty of time and opportunity to regain a semblance of his former abilities.

If he doesn't do it soon he needs to be replaced with someone with more ABILITY, (and upside).

Quinn whiffed on Wilson for some unknown reason.

We need a player in there that does not whiff.

I have met and talked with Quinn. I have had great conversations with his mother, family and friends. He was raised 15 minutes from where I live.
If anybody should have a soft spot for their homeboy it should be me.

But I want to win.
This ain't Fishers Country Club anymore.
Lead, (produce) or get the hell out of the way.

Does that sound harsh?
It sure as hell is.