I think Quinn is a back up level player now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He's a depth guy, not a starter. He's out of plays all game long week in and out. He got a sack today because he came in unblocked but other than he really only makes a play here or there and he is missing tackles and it looks like he can't cover either. All 5 games it's been the same thing, and I don't think it's the scheme, it's him.

It's sad because he's a really likable guy but I think the back issues and surgery have definitely changed him, he's not as quick to change direction in the run game to chase guys down like he used to be able to do, and that blisteringly fast first step is not there anymore.

I hope they can redo his deal, and keep him as a back up of some sort. Otherwise I don't think he is in a Rams uni next year.

James Otto

Starter
My best guess on Quinn is that he still hasn't gained back all of his power and explosiveness after recovering from the back injuries. I hate to give up on players that young, because there is a chance he can regain his old form.

Backup OLB Matt Longacre is playing some really good football! He's putting alot of pressure on the QB and always seems to be around the ball. Actually leads Los Ramos in sacks!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Backup OLB Longacre seems to want to be Starting OLB Longacre doesn't he, he is playing very, very well.

Undrafted street FA gem from Snead. Western Missouri State? Did anyone hear even know that was a college LOL?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It's sad because he's a really likable guy but I think the back issues and surgery have definitely changed him, he's not as quick to change direction in the run game to chase guys down like he used to be able to do, and that blisteringly fast first step is not there anymore.

My best guess on Quinn is that he still hasn't gained back all of his power and explosiveness after recovering from the back injuries.
There was a play....On Johnson's interception...during his return, Russell Wilson was getting back....running in the pursuit angle to cut him off....Quinn was running too...to offer interference...maybe put a crushing block on the QB....DL's love to do this...I believe most are coached to find the QB and bury him...

Quinn ran right past Russell....barely touched him....and Russell helped slow Johnson who was tackled by another Seahawk player...

Just indicative of his non-contact type stance to the game now....he doesn't wanna get down and dirty....and that's cool...but to continue to play him over Longacre...over Samson...is just...foolish.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk I think Quinn played a good game he was very good in containing the run keeping everything to the inside and they switched him around on both sides of the line. The switch from DE to OLB is very different. Quinn is used to putting his hands in the dirt. I also saw him use the spin move more. I think as the season goes on he is going to get better the same with Donald. How many times has QBs escaped him? Quinn just need some time but the last 2 games has been encouraging

AllGasNoBrakes

Air Traffic Controller
There was a play....On Johnson's interception...during his return, Russell Wilson was getting back....running in the pursuit angle to cut him off....Quinn was running too...to offer interference...maybe put a crushing block on the QB....DL's love to do this...I believe most are coached to find the QB and bury him...

Quinn ran right past Russell....barely touched him....and Russell helped slow Johnson who was tackled by another Seahawk player...

Just indicative of his non-contact type stance to the game now....he doesn't wanna get down and dirty....and that's cool...but to continue to play him over Longacre...over Samson...is just...foolish.

I noticed that too. Another example of points left on the field. Quinn is a 6'4" 240+ D Lineman, he should be able to outrun a and block a QB...

It's almost like he avoids true contact unless he's going to get a sack...

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Situational pass rusher. Bring him from all angles. He won't get there very often but he will have to be accounted for freeing other rushers up.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm too hard on Quinn at times but his play has fallen off big time. Just watch the effort on that interception return, because I think it speaks for itself .

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I'm too hard on Quinn at times but his play has fallen off big time. Just watch the effort on that interception return, because I think it speaks for itself .
Oh wow! I thought the same thing. That was more points taken off the board for us. I was pissed when I saw that too..whoever it was he was blocking, Quinn should have clocked him.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh wow! I thought the same thing. That was more points taken off the board for us. I was ticked when I saw that too..whoever it was he was blocking, Quinn should have clocked him.
It was Wilson . If Donald would've been in that position, Wilson would've been run over . Just a poor effort and that can't happen with the veterans on this team .

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Idk I think Quinn played a good game he was very good in containing the run keeping everything to the inside and they switched him around on both sides of the line. The switch from DE to OLB is very different. Quinn is used to putting his hands in the dirt. I also saw him use the spin move more. I think as the season goes on he is going to get better the same with Donald. How many times has QBs escaped him? Quinn just need some time but the last 2 games has been encouraging

Agreed, Quinn played a good game yesterday. Wasn't really out of position at all and helped big time in the run game. He also had Russel in his sights about 3 or 4 times and Russel escaped. He escaped the future HOF Donald too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know what game you guys were watching, but complaining about someone on our Defense yesterday seems kind of counterproductive after our Offense gave up 5 turnovers and 10 points on the board.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I thought he got quite a few pressures - but it was clear the D line was instructed to keep contain against RW - they weren't coming after him the way they would a potted plant.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
A couple of times Quinn was a step away from a sack... If Wilson didn't have a quick release, it could be a sack fumble. Hope he improves.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know what game you guys were watching, but complaining about someone on our Defense yesterday seems kind of counterproductive after our Offense gave up 5 turnovers and 10 points on the board.

Not complaining it's just an observation from the 5 out of 16 games so far.

A couple of times Quinn was a step away from a sack... If Wilson didn't have a quick release, it could be a sack fumble. Hope he improves.

I hope he returns to form too, even if it's not the 19 sacks form. But part of my point is he has lost a step (whether or not for good who knows) and what you are saying is he was a step away. We are saying something similar.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Not complaining it's just an observation from the 5 out of 16 games so far.

Not necessarily calling you out or anything. I just see people ganging up on poor Quinn but in reality he has stepped it up in the last game in a half. The defense as a whole is adjusting to our new scheme. They wont be in true form until mid season. Be patient.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Wouldn't be surprised if Quinn becomes a cap casualty at some point. Really like him but he's not not worth the kind money he's getting at the moment.

Backup OLB Longacre seems to want to be Starting OLB Longacre doesn't he, he is playing very, very well.

Undrafted street FA gem from Snead. Western Missouri State? Did anyone hear even know that was a college LOL?

Glad Snead found his niche in drafting small school prospects and having our coaches develop them into viable NFL starters. A lot of gm's will try to replicate that aspect of him; some will meet success, others will falter.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

I almost posted on this. When I finally sat down and watched the game last night, I was overall encouraged, despite the game result. This was one of the few plays I was disappointed in Quinn.
  1. TG should have lowered his shoulder and cut inside for the TD.
  2. Tavon either has eye tracking issues, or is in a panic that he is being phased out, and it is manifesting itself in the high-pressure task of catching a punt. (I really do admire guys that can do this, but the Rams will not and should not throw a psychology experiment out for punt returns)
  3. Finally, Robert Quinn half-assed a defenders dream: a free shot at a quarterback on a return of a fumble or interception. Maybe this is a bit harsh, but a pancake block, and maybe Johnson scores.

This is more my take away from this game. Overall I was encouraged by Quinns effort, strength and results. I am encouraged that he may get back to being called "the Mighty Quinn" again.

I noticed that too. Another example of points left on the field. Quinn is a 6'4" 240+ D Lineman, he should be able to outrun a and block a QB...

It's almost like he avoids true contact unless he's going to get a sack...
Wilson has pretty good speed, and his angle may have been enough to cause Johnson to recalculate his return, but the point here is that at the time Quinn caught up, Wilson was stopped and waiting on Johnson. Quinn had nearly a unmoving target.

I hope he returns to form too, even if it's not the 19 sacks form. But part of my point is he has lost a step (whether or not for good who knows) and what you are saying is he was a step away. We are saying something similar.
Maybe semantics, here. But "a step away" is not necessarily a step slower. Keep in mind, Les, a good quarterback, (Wilson is good) sees the pressure coming and releases the ball before getting hit. It is a win for the defender, and counted as a "QB hurry", or a "QB hit" in the stat sheet. How many of those did he have yesterday?

Ram65

Legend
I've been saying for weeks that Quinn doesn't look himself. Lack of explosion, not covering the edge and little bend around the corner on pass rush. I didn't key on him but, on some plays he seemed to have more effort and was getting closer. Wilson is a hard guy to get after. Thought there is a chance Robert is getting back strength and getting into game shape. It's obvious if he doesn't show improvement the Rams can't keep paying him 11+ Million a year.

He ran hard to block for Johnson and just didn't attempt to hit Wilson. That was strange.

…..

Legend
Free shot on a QB during an interception return? omgosh that is every pass rushers DREAM......except Roberts. He let him off the hook. smh

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like his back injury ruined things for him. He used to have such incredible explosiveness and bend around the edge... I used to call him gumby. haha.

He just doesn't look the same out there...