I said it first, "Next year, TJ will be as good as Chancellor"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
If we're allowed to make wild claims mine is that Stedman Bailey will have similar numbers in his second year as Antonio Brown's second year, only with more TDs.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Both players have a similar size, are aggressive, hard hitters. T.J. was playing well last year, was one of the sure tacklers we had on defense. With our pass rush, and Williams as coordinator, I see him having an important role in cleaning up short routes over the middle. I think his play next year will surprise us.
No. You're not really the first. I am.
Pick a guy who's not really on the radar who you think will vie for Pro Bowl honors this season.

My surprise pick.... TJ McDonald.

I think he's very smart, working really hard, focused, and will be a star in GW's defense. And I think he's gonna make the Pro Bowl.

Alan

Legend
For those that don't like CBS look below.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/deone-bucannon?id=2543769
Deone Bucannon Grade: 5.52
ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Good length and overall size. Reads run and drops downhill quickly. Has an old-school mentality -- likes contact and is a physical tackler (seeks to punish the ball carrier). Shows pop on contact. Covers kicks and has an ideal mentality for special teams. Productive four-year starter.
WEAKNESSES
Struggles to recover from missteps and will not track anyone down from behind. Some tightness in his hips. Takes some inaccurate angles. Man-coverage limitations (struggles to mirror slot receivers). Can be overaggressive and miss tackles. Does not always arrive under control in space. Lacks discipline on the field and makes too many mental mistakes. Got shook in the hole for a 75-yard TD vs. Colorado State and gives up too many big plays with bad angles.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 2-3
BOTTOM LINE
Good-sized, athletic, physical safety who stands out as a straight-line striker on tape and sets the tone. Has coverage limitations, but brings aggressiveness and intensity to carve a niche as a downhill box defender and core special-teams player. Must learn to become more assignment sound to maximize his potential. Has some similarities to Tampa Bay FS Dashon Goldson.
There isn't anything I read here that I like. Carve out a niche as a downhill box defender? Does that in any way sound like a FS? Even the good stuff isn't very good. And the bad stuff screams Craig Dahl. I'm not going to beat a dead horse here but NO THANK YOU!

Alan

Legend
For those that don't like CBS look below.
Jimmie Ward Grade: 5.44

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jimmie-ward?id=2543741
OVERVIEW
Has a child. Prepped in Alabama. As a true freshman in 2010, he logged 21 tackles, one pass breakup and zero interceptions with one forced fumble and a school-record three blocked punts. Returned a blocked punt 15 yards for a touchdown. Played in all 14 games, seeing extensive action as a backup free safety and on special teams. Registered 100-4-1 with 2.5 tackles for loss, one sack, one forced fumble and one blocked punt (against Army) in 14 games (12 starts at cornerback) in '11. Led the Huskies in tackles in '12 after posting 104-11-3 with one tackle for loss and one forced fumble in 13 starts at free safety. Missed the UMass game with sprained A/C joint in his right shoulder. In '13, logged 95-10-7 with 2.5 tackles for loss, one sack and one forced fumble in 14 starts. Had a 62-yard touchdown return for a score against Purdue. Did not work out at the combine because of a foot injury (medical exclusion).

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Intense, active and energetic. Zooms around the field and stands out on tape. Aggressive run supporter -- triggers quickly, flies downhill and chops down ball carriers. Breaks on throws and shows short-area burst to close. Has quick hands to snatch interceptions. Confident and energetic. Experienced and productive. Has a 38-inch vertical jump.
WEAKNESSES
Size is just adequate -- lacks ideal bulk and is built more like a cornerback than a safety. Bench-pressed 225 pounds just nine times at the combine, second fewest among DBs. Gets snagged on blocks and struggles to disengage. Can be a tick late diagnosing pass, gaining depth and digesting route combos. Lacks elite top-end speed. Inconsistent downfield ball reactions with his back to the throw. Shows lower-body stiffness in space. Could rub some people the wrong way. Has some maturing to do and needs to learn what it means to prepare like a pro.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 2-3
BOTTOM LINE
Wiry, active, aggressive strong safety at his best playing downhill and reacting to plays in front him, yet possesses the cover skill to range over the top or lock down defenders in the slot. Ability to stay healthy in the future given lack of size and durability is the biggest concern. A very talented football player who could slide a round or two based on size, medical evaluations and attitude. Can contribute immediately at any safety position and positively affect the game if healthy and focused.
Has an even lower grade than Bucannon and despite the "Can contribute immediately at any safety position" part his skills scream SS without the size and durability needed for that position. At every site that delineates between SS and FS he's listed as a SS. Read through this and count the red flags. One PB and 0 INTs? Screams FS to me. :LOL:

We have to remember what it is exactly that we were missing last year. What caused us to give such a big cushion to WRs. People look at a bunch of big hits in highlight reels and fall in love. Not me.

No thanks.

Last edited:

Alan

Legend
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/dion-bailey?id=2543668
Dione Bailey Grade: 5.19
OVERVIEW
Two-time second-team All-Pac-12 selection (2011 and 2013). 2013: Switched to safety after playing linebacker the previous two seasons. Made nine starts in 14 games played. 2012: Honorable mention All-Pac-12 selection after starting in all 13 games and leading the team with four interceptions. 2011: Played and started in 11 games. Moved from safety to linebacker prior ro spring practice. Missed one game due to a concussion. 2010: Redshirted.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Good hands to intercept. Was an impact defender as a redshirt freshman despite playing out of place as an undersized linebacker.
WEAKNESSES
Durability is a concern. Has pedestrian speed -- struggles to match with slot receivers. Lacks experience in deep coverage. Still developing positional instincts and feel for route combinations. Takes some inaccurate angles. Goes low and misses tackles. Has 'tweener traits.
DRAFT PROJECTION
Rounds 5-6
BOTTOM LINE
Classic linebacker-safety 'tweener whose best shot to carve a niche in the pros could come as a nickel linebacker, where he could utilize his ball skills and be used as a blitzer. Will have to make his mark on special teams.
Rounds 5-6? Durability is a concern? Grade of 5.19? Please.

I've been talking about the lack of depth at Safety and these 3 players are right below Ha-Ha and Pryor. As far as I'm concerned, if we don't get one of those two players we shouldn't even bother to draft a Safety and just hope McLeod has a huge improvement this year.

Last edited:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/dion-bailey?id=2543668

Rounds 5-6? Durability is a concern? Grade of 5.19? Please.

I've been talking about that lack of depth at Safety and these 3 players are right below Ha-Ha and Pryor. As far as I'm concerned, if we don't get one of those two players we shouldn't even bother to draft a Safety and just hope McLeod has a huge improvement this year.

Isn't "Durability is a concern" just shorthand for "has been injured at some point in the last 3 years"?

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators thinking meainingless catch phrase:
Isn't "Durability is a concern" just shorthand for "has been injured at some point in the last 3 years"?

I think "durability is a concern" requires multiple injuries and/or a physical frame that's inconsistent with the position he plays.

Along with "injury prone."

I think "durability is a concern" requires multiple injuries and/or a physical frame that's inconsistent with the position he plays.

Along with "injury prone."

Well Bailey played in every game last season, every game in 2012, and all but 2 in 2011, at 6' he's taller than all but one Pro Bowl FS, he is a bit light 201 lbs compared to 203, 205, 205, 208 and 213 for the Pro Bowlers, but with an NFL S&C program I'm sure can add those vital 2-12 lbs.

Not sure how he fits into either of those criteria.

According to CBS:

STRENGTHS: Durable. Missed one game due to injury in three seasons as a starter.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators wanting the rest of the story:
Well Bailey played in every game last season, every game in 2012, and all but 2 in 2011, at 6' he's taller than all but one Pro Bowl FS, he is a bit light 201 lbs compared to 203, 205, 205, 208 and 213 for the Pro Bowlers, but with an NFL S&C program I'm sure can add those vital 2-12 lbs.

Not sure how he fits into either of those criteria.

According to CBS:

STRENGTHS: Durable. Missed one game due to injury in three seasons as a starter.

Those are just blurps of the whole story. For more of the story read below.
Concussion plus these:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...afety-dion-bailey-day-to-day-after-hip-injury
USC Trojans safety Dion Bailey day to day after hip injury
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-fo...dion-bailey-injury-update-usc-spring-practice
USC's Dion Bailey to miss spring practice after shoulder surgery

That's his entire injury history? A surgery a year ago which caused him to miss zero game time, and being day to day two weeks prior to the start of the season, which caused him to miss zero game time.

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators looking only on the surface:
That's his entire injury history? A surgery a year ago which caused him to miss zero game time, and being day to day two weeks prior to the start of the season, which caused him to miss zero game time.
Do you think that the horrid grade he got and his crappy performance might have been the result of playing injured? Injuries that (shoulder) required offseason surgery.

How many times have you been injured in the last couple of years? 3 like this guy? How many surgeries to repair injuries have you had in the last couple of years? So what's your definition of durability concerns? Sounds like "durability is a concern" to me. Nobody said he was injury prone.

If his crappy play wasn't at least partially the result of injuries then he's even worse than I thought.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Chancelor is not all that great outside the box either. Big hitter good run support plays good in the role they have him in. TJ will be every bit that player in William's defense.

Seattle runs their base defense most of the time. They keep it all simple and everyone knows their job well. That helps players like Chancellor excel. Everything Carroll does is geared toward getting maximum output from his players, from trumping them up as castoffs to playing a simplified scheme. Chancellor is surrounded by good players that all know their roles. I think it would be interesting to see how he well he played on another team, because I agree with you that he isn't all that great.

Do you think that the horrid grade he got and his crappy performance might have been the result of playing injured? Injuries that (shoulder) required offseason surgery.

How many times have you been injured in the last couple of years? 3 like this guy? How many surgeries to repair injuries have you had in the last couple of years? So what's your definition of durability concerns? Sounds like "durability is a concern" to me. Nobody said he was injury prone.

If his crappy play wasn't at least partially the result of injuries then he's even worse than I thought.

I question the "horrid grade" based upon two things, one what I saw when watching him, two the fact that one site lists him as having "durability concerns" as a weakness, whereas another lists him as "durable" as a strength, it makes me question whether they even watched him play or just churn out a load of crap.

What about what you saw out of him made you give him the designation "crappy"?

V3

Hall of Fame
I think OP could be right if he had some help around him(especially at FS).

Alan

Legend
Rams and Gators wanting clarification:
I question the "horrid grade" based upon two things, one what I saw when watching him, two the fact that one site lists him as having "durability concerns" as a weakness, whereas another lists him as "durable" as a strength, it makes me question whether they even watched him play or just churn out a load of crap.

What about what you saw out of him made you give him the designation "crappy"?
A couple of things here.

I'll bow to your first hand knowledge about his play because I saw none of his games. I've only seen parts of games and I'm mainly going on what I've read about him.

I was only able to do research on two positions this year before my health concerns put a stop to it. Those two positions were OT and FS. I started with those because they were the two areas I was most concerned about. When I haven't actually been able to see a player in action in a considerable amount of games, I go by what I've read about him. My final analysis is based on a compilation of everything I've read and not just one or two sites. All those words I used like "crappy" were based on my research. Sites don't give low grades and say bad things about players who aren't, well, crappy. I could have used different words but crappy pretty much somes up my opinion of him. Along with horrid.

I take it that you're a fan of his play. What is it about his play that you like? When I ask that, I'm not interested in qualities you would associate with a SS because we already have TJ and what we need are qualities that are associated with a FS. When you're trying to think back on what you've seen of him can you site a game so that I can look at what you're seeing? Draft Breakdown has parts of four games here:
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/dion-bailey/

Last edited:

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Both players have a similar size, are aggressive, hard hitters. T.J. was playing well last year, was one of the sure tacklers we had on defense. With our pass rush, and Williams as coordinator, I see him having an important role in cleaning up short routes over the middle. I think his play next year will surprise us.

I don't disagree at all.
In fact I think TJ may move better than Chancellor now.

Of course we have to wait and see if TJ actually does perform up to expectations.
I think he will.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loved what I saw from T.J last season hope he can take that next step this year

A couple of things here.

I'll bow to your first hand knowledge about his play because I saw none of his games. I've only seen parts of games and I'm mainly going on what I've read about him.

I was only able to do research on two positions this year before my health concerns put a stop to it. Those two positions were OT and FS. I started with those because they were the two areas I was most concerned about. When I haven't actually been able to see a player in action in a considerable amount of games, I go by what I've read about him. My final analysis is based on a compilation of everything I've read and not just one or two sites. All those words I used like "crappy" were based on my research. Sites don't give low grades and say bad things about players who aren't, well, crappy. I could have used different words but crappy pretty much somes up my opinion of him. Along with horrid.

I take it that you're a fan of his play. What is it about his play that you like? When I ask that, I'm not interested in qualities you would associate with a SS because we already have TJ and what we need are qualities that are associated with a FS. When you're trying to think back on what you've seen of him can you site a game so that I can look at what you're seeing? Draft Breakdown has parts of four games here:
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/dion-bailey/

I've only seen one or two games, so many prospects, so little time :(, they also expect me to work occasionally as well :eek:.

For us he probably isn't a very good fit, I see him as a very good man coverage defender, lining up over the slot receiver, with solid tackling, rather than a 20 yards of the los player, more of a Tyron Matthieu CB/FS hybrid if you will. Which I don't think is what Williams will be looking for. But that said there's nothing about his play that screams crappy to me.

His best game was probably against Fresno State (which being the last game of the season may fit into you're durability argument).

He's never going to go to a Pro Bowl, but for a HC who doesn't value the position I'd be over the moon if we drafted him 3rd round onwards.

lockdnram21

Legend
Ward is a football player who can cover, tackle and think. Somebody is gonna to get a good Safety - hope its us

i want ward to . but i think he goes late first early second. we have to trade back and get one of the early 2nd round picks to even have a chance.

Alan

Legend
Thanks for the video R&G, I was dreading the search. (y)
1st half observations:
2nd defensive play of the game he gets called for holding while trying to pass defend.
Every play where he looks good is within 5 yards of the LOS.
Please don't draft Carr.
Rushes the passer well (without results) but has yet to be blocked. Although I'm not interested in that part of his game.
Nothing I've seen so far has changed my mind.
I'll watch the 2nd half later.

Last edited: