I nominate Austin Davis for preseason phenom status

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

. . .

Apparently, it's too soon for a photo on NFL.com yet though.

DAV164136.jpg

Austin Davis #9 QB

St. Louis Rams

Height: 6-2 Weight: 221 Age: 23

Born: 6/2/1989 Ringgold , GA

They love him at So. Mississippi though.

vid after the pic:

1129smissdavis_1217460c.jpg

LINK TO VID:

http://www2.wjtv.com/sports/2011/dec/13/career-austin-davis-ar-2862217/[/quote]

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He needs to see some time with the twos, based on his performance. Think he's earned it.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1265479

Positives: A dual threat quarterback with athletic footwork and mobility. An instinctive runner with very good toughness, uses stiff arms and runs with good body strength. Has quick, smooth delivery with very good touch and anticipation as a passer. Has natural leadership traits and plays with his heart, willing his team to victory. A smart and confident individual on and off the field. Plays like a veteran and executes, sells fakes well, doesn’t force a lot and isn’t afraid to throw it away. Does a nice job maneuvering in the pocket and is always a threat to run (1,375 rush yards and 25 rush scores in his career). Very good starting experience as a four-year starter (45 career starts) with above average production, broke several of Brett Favre’s school passing records including career pass yards (10,892), touchdown passes (83), completion percentage (61.1 percent) and total offense (12,267).

Negatives: Shorter than ideal and isn’t physically imposing in any way. Limited arm strength with an unorthodox throwing motion; doesn’t effectively use his body or footwork (almost like he’s throwing darts). Inconsistent downfield passer and puts too much air under his throws, too many underthrows and streaky ball placement. Tends to predetermine a lot of his passes and stare down targets. Wasn’t asked to make a lot of defensive reads in Southern Miss’ simple zone offense, inconsistent footwork in limited experience in his drops from under center. Suspect ball security as a runner. --

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
He needs to see some time with the twos, based on his performance. Think he's earned it.
After the first game, I thought he had "it", and today, surely, didn't change that impression. The kid might just be a real find. Nothing against Clemens, he played fine. I think he should see time with the twos.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
DR RAM said:
Username said:
After the first game, I thought he had "it", and today, surely, didn't change that impression. The kid might just be a real find. Nothing against Clemens, he played fine. I think he should see time with the twos.
I agree with you. But, Clemens is a vet, who knows the playbook, and in doing so able to give Sam some advice. It might be better for the team (at least for this upcoming season) to keep Clemens over Davis. Next year, after Sam has been in the system for a season and Davis has some experience and learned the playbook, that advantage might be nullified. So long-term it makes more sense to keep Austin Davis over Clemens.

But I really want them to keep both. I'm afraid the Rams will pull a Thad Lewis and try to sneak him onto the practice squad, and then he'll get snatched. It's nice to have a developmental guy in the wings.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Started a thread about this kid last week. No way he clears waivers. The game certainly does not look too big for this kid. I would love to see him with the 2s.....

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Faceplant said:
Started a thread about this kid last week. No way he clears waivers. The game certainly does not look too big for this kid. I would love to see him with the 2s.....

I agree. He ain't gonna clear waivers.

I wonder though if they intend to keep 2 or 3 qbs. Cause the way it works, I don't think the qb will determine that choice. If for example they think they need 7 LBs for special teams and defensive subpackages, my sense is, they won't necessarily go "ah but we should develop Austin." They could very well just keep the extra LB instead.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I like this guy. 2nd best QB on team behind Sam. No doubt.

But here's the deal. Lets see what he can really do before we make any judgement. Put him in with the 1's against 1's running the same play list Bradford does. Lot's of 5 & 7 step drops, some deep routes that take times to develop, a 2 minute drill.
Then we will know if he has it.
I think he does myself, just would like to see it.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
And there lies the problem. He most likely will not get reps with the 2s because the starters will play longer this week and from what I have heard even in the 4th game. I would hate to lose this kid just because we feel "safer" with Clemens as backup. From what I have seen so far, and I know it isn't much, but I would feel just as confident (if not more) with Davis in there as I would with Clemens.

goldenram

UDFA
I've been watching him since a sophmore in High School, AD has "IT" for sure. Many people made a lot of calls just to get SoMiss to give him a chance, had to walk on with a baseball schollarship. Old coaching staff did not think he would be a D1 QB. He started as a redshirt freshman.... Never looked back. Scouts for NFL didn't give him much of a chance either, but he'll prove them wrong also. He is one of the hardest working and most determined young men you will ever meet. He is a great role model and a "take charge" leader of a team. He was even drafted by the Red Sox this year and hasn't played baseball since High School.... Sure hope he makes the roster, Rams will miss out on a good one if they don't.
Oh and I'm not related..... lol!! just promoting a great, talented kid.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
goldenram said:
I've been watching him since a sophmore in High School, AD has "IT" for sure. Many people made a lot of calls just to get SoMiss to give him a chance, had to walk on with a baseball schollarship. Old coaching staff did not think he would be a D1 QB. He started as a redshirt freshman.... Never looked back. Scouts for NFL didn't give him much of a chance either, but he'll prove them wrong also. He is one of the hardest working and most determined young men you will ever meet. He is a great role model and a "take charge" leader of a team. He was even drafted by the Red Sox this year and hasn't played baseball since High School.... Sure hope he makes the roster, Rams will miss out on a good one if they don't.
Nice first post. Welcome to the forum. You will find that most of us are pulling for the kid, and we see his talent. I would be inclined to keep him as a third QB on this team. I know that someone would pick him up if we tried to stash him on the PS. Surely, we are not the only one's to see that he has "it".

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
goldenram said:
Welcome, Goldenram. Good post. I really like this kid, as do most of us here.
I'm just wondering, if Clemens is the #2 mainly because of experience and knowing this offense, shouldn't he be showing more on the field than a UDFA?
Hmmm...
I would like to see Davis get some reps w/ the #1s this week or next.

GO RAMS!!!!