I love how the media rags on Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That he needs to "step up and justify his draft position of being the 1st pick in the SECOND round"

Meanwhile...AJ Jenkins of our lovely friends in SF...

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/30/a-j-jenkins-still-struggling-at-49ers-camp/#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments</a>

A.J. Jenkins still struggling at 49ers camp

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 30, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
A.J. Jenkins
AP
San Francisco receiver A.J. Jenkins was perhaps the most disappointing first-round pick in the NFL last year, appearing in just three games and failing to catch a single pass. This year, with receiver Michael Crabtree out with a torn Achilles tendon, the 49ers would love to see Jenkins play like a first-round pick.

So far, no such luck: Jenkins has not distinguished himself in practices, Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reports.

Other reporters on the scene have described Jenkins as dropping passes, running bad routes and generally not even looking like the fifth-best receiver in camp, let alone the No. 2 receiver, which is what some hoped he could become.

With Crabtree, Mario Manningham and Kyle Williams all on the physically unable to perform list, now is the time for Jenkins to get the most of his opportunities. But it’s starting to look like if someone is going to step up in Crabtree’s absence, it’s going to have to be someone other than Jenkins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
lol. I'm so tired of that "he needs to step up" garbage.

Or what?

Small school, no WR coach, barely a playbook, and he still nearly matched Isaac Bruce's production during HIS first year.

RustyRay

Rookie
Sounds like he has "stepped up" at camp this year.

Forgot which camp report it was...maybe Playmaker, who said he was the MVP of the Pajama beginning of camp.

From everything I have read so far sounds like he has performed very well...Making catches and running better routes...way more confidence.

Not saying anyone here said he hadnt...btw!

A55VA6

Legend
I'm not too high on Quick but I think with a few years under his belt, he could be a real good WR. He's just gonna take some time before it happens.

Slappy967

Starter
I think he is a guy who is tailor made for the NFL year 3 theory and I fully expect his skills to start clicking next year. That being said I think we will see glimpses of what he brings to the table in the redzone all year long. Too many moving parts for opposing defenses to keep track of and some poor DB has to be burned by someone. Enter BQ.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Slappy967 said:
I think he is a guy who is tailor made for the NFL year 3 theory and I fully expect his skills to start clicking next year. That being said I think we will see glimpses of what he brings to the table in the redzone all year long. Too many moving parts for opposing defenses to keep track of and some poor DB has to be burned by someone. Enter BQ.

i agree with this. year 3 is when i imagine things to really start clicking for him. I hope its this year, but will not hold my breath

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Outside of Blackmon, there wasn't a WR that didn't scare me in last years draft.

Heck, the best Rookie WR might have been in the supplemental draft, Josh Gordon.

2 years from now, Givens may end up being the best of them all. So I'm not obsessing over Quick.

tonyl711

Starter
Fisher and Snead said last year that he was raw and would take time to get him up to speed, he played at div 2 college that didn't even have a playbook, so far they have been right way more than wrong, ill trust them on Quick.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here is why Quick will succeed:

Size
Speed
Hands
Work Ethic
Desire

Dude is going to make himself into a WR just like Snead thought he would.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Brian Quick CAN be very good. He has all the tools. The only thing that may prevent it is how long are the Rams willing to wait. If Givens has a studly season and Austin shows promise this season but Quick only produces in the redzon what do you do? If Sammy Watkins or Marquise Lee is sitting there for the takimg do you take them?

Imagine the speed of Givens, Austin, and Watkins?

Unstoppable.

GSOT 2 for sure. Quick would come in in the Redzone.

I think that sounds fantastic.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Quick in my eyes looks like a real humble kid. I know, I don't know him personal but from what I see in videos and interviews and such.
I was not a huge fan of the Quick pick, I do however think he has the size to compete. He comes from a basketball background I think so the athleticism is there. He needs some tuning to do but in the end this kid can be a real threat with the right coaches and I don't think we have a problem with coaches. ;)

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LosAngelesRams said:
Quick in my eyes looks like a real humble kid. I know, I don't know him personal but from what I see in videos and interviews and such.
I was not a huge fan of the Quick pick, I do however think he has the size to compete. He comes from a basketball background I think so the athleticism is there. He needs some tuning to do but in the end this kid can be a real threat with the right coaches and I don't think we have a problem with coaches. ;)

His twitter handle is "workaholic" so yeah.

Anyway this wasn't really a post about Brian...just the hypocrisy of the pick vs. someone like AJ Jenkins (who could still make it).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Quick will be fine and the Rams appear to be in a position now to let him mature into who he can become.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Much prefer a second coming of Larry Fitzgerald or megaton moss came with attitude and took plays off.

That being said quick is getting there just needs time

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
X said:
lol. I'm so tired of that "he needs to step up" garbage.

Or what?

Small school, no WR coach, barely a playbook, and he still nearly matched Isaac Bruce's production during HIS first year.

Here's the rub to this new group of WR's. Everyone is going to have a "role". We are likely going to see more subbing of personnel than in the past. That is how it works when you run a spread style offense. I think Cook givens and Austin will see most of the "reps", but Pettis, Quick and Bailey will likely be inserted into groupings based on D&D and defensive match-ups.

It will also put a strain on the defenses with fresh legs changing in and out, guys motioning and a faster temo. Same thing should help with our RB's. They have already come out and said there will be no "bell cow" RB and Demoff and Snead have mentioned that we won't likely see guys with 90+ catches. This offense is going to be a machine .... with MANY moving parts.

nighttrain

Legend
Rabid Ram said:
Much prefer a second coming of Larry Fitzgerald or megaton moss came with attitude and took plays off.

That being said quick is getting there just needs time
:plus1: agree, Quick had to much natural ability not to succeed given his work ethic
train