I Love How KC is playing, but fans are annoying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
I knew this would happen if the Rams had success. Anti-Bradford fans would praise KC & continue to question Sam. Don't get me wrong, I root for all 11 players playing to do as well as possible, regardless of my opinion on them. I'm glad Clemens is managing games well, but it makes me livid when people say, "lets get rid of Bradford, a journeyman can play just as well."

Are these people completely oblivious to what else has gone on to spark the Rams recent success? First off the Rams were 3-3 (.500) in full games by Sam, they are now 2-2 (.500) in full games played by Clemens. But the change in the 2013 Rams really began in game 5 vs JAX. The run game was finally established. Every game since they Rams have been highly competitive and have had a legitimate chance to win every game. As a result, the Rams were able to wear teams down, rest their defense, and set up their passing game. Second the D started getting stops & TURNOVERS. The Rams didn't have the benefit of having either in the first 4 weeks of the season for the most part. Third the special teams was pathetic in the beginning of the season. Kicking & Punting was fine, but coverage & return units were getting penalties almost EVERY possession. In turn, this caused the Rams to often be on the - side of the field position battle and required them to drive long fields. Fourth the coaching: playcalling offensively & schematically wasn't up to snuff & defensive scheme was soft in the early games. It has improved vastly offensively: TA, predictability, establishing the run & defensively we've seen more press & slightly more blitzing. Lastly is rookie adjustments. Stacy emerged week 5, TA didn't truly break out until last week, Tree took 2-3 weeks to adjust, TMac was looking but just came back, Steddy is just starting to get offensive snaps, Benny has emerged in the past few weeks, & rookies playing on STs learning how to avoid penalties.

So that's 5 HUGE factors that affected the Rams 4-3 stretch since their 1-3 start that have NOTHING to do with Sam or Clemens.

1. Running game 2. D getting stops & TOs 3. STs 4. Coaching 5. Rookie adjustments

Then you compare the 2 QBs. Idk what area of Clemens' game is better than Sam. Not to say he is incompetent, I just think Sam is that much better.
1. Pocket Movement: I think Sam is more mobile, but Clemens is quicker to move in the pocket.
2. Arm strength: Not even close. Clemens has to put his deep balls on such a high arc to get them to WRs they have a longer hangtime than some of Hekker's punts.
3. Accuracy: Again. Not even close. So many more balls thrown behind & low.
4. Leadership: They have vastly different styles, but I hate it when people say Sam doesn't show intensity.
5. Clutch: Sam has 1 this year. Clemens was 0-2 back to back weeks, but did have nice drives before those comebacks fell short.

The Rams haven't asked KC to put the ball in the air 40 times. He has the benefit of a solid run game that opens up passing lanes & rarely throws a ball over 20 yards. He's managed nicely, 4 TDs to 2 INTs 53% CPCT. Sam 14 TDs 4 INTS (all tipped) 61% CPCT.

People also conveniently forget Sam was 2-0 with the new found running game before going down. Bradford bashers also forget that pass pro has gotten vastly better over the year. In the 0-2 stretch vs DAL & SF Sam was sacked 11 times; I don't care what QB you have, success will be minimal. The Rams have put together 3 dominant team efforts this year: HOU, IND, & CHI. Sam was equally as effective when he got a team effort around him, compared to KC. People raved about KC last week 9/16 247 yds 56% & 2 TDs. Sam was equally good @ HOU 12/16 117 yds 75% & 3 TDs. And as good as the Rams have played the past 2 weeks, & Clemens has been good, he's not the only piece in the puzzle. Of the 80 points the Rams have scored the past 2 weeks, Clemens has accounted for 18. Of the 38 the Rams scored in the HOU blowout Sam accounted for 18 points, showing he plays a large role.

And lets talk about the difficulty of most of Clemens' throws. Yes, I'll give him credit, he extends plays well & has made some tough ones, but he's thrown just as many "dump offs" as Sam.

Idk, I'm just venting, but I believe strongly Sam can be the answer. Many gripe about his contract, but I think the Rams will resign him to a new deal that calls for a smaller cap figure in 2014, with less than $50 M guaranteed. I believe Sam gets a bad wrap way too often and I wanted to stick up for him by giving my 2 cents. What say you?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not hearing any KC > SB comparisons. That would be silliness.

KC is proving to be a decent backup. That's a good thing.

Sam will re-sign at some point. This is his team.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I'm not hearing any KC > SB comparisons. That would be silliness.

KC is proving to be a decent backup. That's a good thing.

Sam will re-sign at some point. This is his team.

Perhaps he's talking about things he's seen on STLtoday? I know the idiots there are probably overjoyed that we won twice because this 'cements' that Bradford was 'holding us back'.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't think Sam has played up to his rookie contract; however, it is not his fault that rookies were getting such big contracts to begin with. That's not to say he has played bad either. I'd like to see him resign to a more cap friendly salary with built in incentives. No way he under throws Givens on that pass, and I don't think he over throws Kendricks in the Redzone either. My only fear is that when Bradford comes back that the Rams get away from the style of play we have been seeing as of late. It seems that this run first offense would allow Sam to pick apart teams. I'd love to see Sam throw it under 25 times while picking up two to three touchdowns.

The "run first" style has made a come back in teams like the Seahawks, 49er's, Ravens. They show it can work, and it seems to be working here.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perhaps he's talking about things he's seen on STLtoday? I know the idiots there are probably overjoyed that we won twice because this 'cements' that Bradford was 'holding us back'.

Twitter

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
No way he under throws Givens on that pass, and I don't think he over throws Kendricks in the Redzone either.

Don't forget the dump off to Austin that whoulda been a TD if he added some touch to it.

I will say though, KC made a nice pass to Givens on the sideline but Givens stepped out trying to run up the field like an idiot.

KC is hit or miss with his passes. Good game manager who has good movement, but he won't ever win us any games from what i have seen.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Listening to the post game show on 101ESPN, I heard one caller say too bad Bradford didn't get hurt in week 2, we'd have a much better record now. So they are out there, and I'm guessing there are a lot of them.

A55VA6

Legend
I think this team has just picked it up a notch.. with Bradford on the field, I think we'd be even better. Clemens has missed some throws that Sam wouldn't miss.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't think KC is better but I do think Bradford is pretty much just a slightly better version of Alex Smith.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don't think KC is better but I do think Bradford is pretty much just a slightly better version of Alex Smith.

I'd bet all my ROD money that Alex Smith beats the Ravens in that Superbowl.

I know quiet a few 9er fans who wish they had kept Smith.

EDIT: To take it further, Sam was compared to Troy Aikman a lot when he was coming out, and you still get it sometimes. Troy was the ultimate game manager.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm okay with this comparison. It's actually pretty accurate.