I like this. Ace Sanders in for a workout.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jim Thomas
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/rams-put-south-carolina-wr-through-private-workout/article_c28c44cc-1f48-5548-9e5f-458e1b1b7634.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... um=twitter</a>

Add another name to the Rams’ shopping list at wide receiver, and put an arrow pointing upward next to it. Although previously unreported, the Rams brought South Carolina wide receiver/return man Ace Sanders in for a pre-draft visit last week. And that’s only half the story.

The Rams dispatched a contingent to South Carolina on Wednesday to put Sanders through a private workout. The group included head coach Jeff Fisher, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, and backup quarterback Austin Davis.

Fisher doesn’t make many trips to see prospects, so his presence alone indicates that Sanders is under serious consideration as a draft pick next week. In what round is uncertain.

With it looking more and more like West Virginia’s Tavon Austin will be off the board by the time the Rams pick in the first round, Sanders could be a mighty-mite alternative, albeit in a later round. At 5-7, 173 pounds, Sanders is even a little smaller than Austin.

As a junior last season at South Carolina, Sanders led the Gamecocks with 45 receptions (for 531 yards) and nine touchdowns. He was even more productive as a punter returner, averaging 15.3 yards on 28 returns, including touchdowns against Georgia and Michigan. He was named co-Special Teams Player of the Year in the Southeastern Conference. Quick and explosive, Sanders plays faster than his timed speed of 4.58 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Last season, the Rams conducted private workouts with at least five draft prospects at wide receiver in the final days before the draft: Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State; Michael Floyd of Notre Dame, A.J. Jenkins of Illinois; Brian Quick of Appalachian State; and Kendall Wright of Baylor. The Rams ended up taking Quick in the second round.

They could be embarking on a similar tour, because there are unconfirmed reports that the Rams plan a private workout with Austin.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This fits Snead's "fall in love with scenarios" approach.

The Rams might like Austin, but they ain't trading up for him.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gGZ8eVzpY[/youtube]

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
I like this too. Would be a very solid mid-late round pick.

To quote myself from a past thread...

With Amendola gone and Givens getting geared up to playing maybe 50+ snaps per week, the Rams have a big hole at the returning posts. Ace Sanders was one of the best punt returners in college football last season, he is explosive, quick, and possesses good strength for his small frame. While raw at WR, Sanders is a threat to score any time he touches the ball. Sanders could serve well as depth WR giving us an occasional bubble screen or simple crossing route for a big play. Sanders main role here would be as returner though. While he has not done much kick off returning in college, he has the ability to IMO. We plug Sanders in at PR/KR from day one. Sanders caught 45 passes for 531 yards and 9 touchdowns in 2012, as well with averaging 14 yards per punt return and 2 TDs. I think Sanders goes in round 4-6 range.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
biggame1190 said:
I like this too. Would be a very solid mid-late round pick.

To quote myself from a past thread...

With Amendola gone and Givens getting geared up to playing maybe 50+ snaps per week, the Rams have a big hole at the returning posts. Ace Sanders was one of the best punt returners in college football last season, he is explosive, quick, and possesses good strength for his small frame. While raw at WR, Sanders is a threat to score any time he touches the ball. Sanders could serve well as depth WR giving us an occasional bubble screen or simple crossing route for a big play. Sanders main role here would be as returner though. While he has not done much kick off returning in college, he has the ability to IMO. We plug Sanders in at PR/KR from day one. Sanders caught 45 passes for 531 yards and 9 touchdowns in 2012, as well with averaging 14 yards per punt return and 2 TDs. I think Sanders goes in round 4-6 range.
Well I'm gonna quote you quoting yourself while referring to me.

This is some dark dimension shit going on right now.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
The Dude said:

This is some dark dimension shyte going on right now.

lol yea its almost like in the movie Inception.....but with quotes haha :boing: :lmao:

Yea but me like this kid Ace Sanders :yeh:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
biggame1190 said:
The Dude said:

This is some dark dimension shyte going on right now.

lol yea its almost like in the movie Inception.....but with quotes haha :boing: :lmao:

Yea but me like this kid Ace Sanders :yeh:
He's a little shorter than Austin even.

But here's why I like it. One, it doesn't commit them to Austin in the first round, and if he doesn't make it down to 16, then no big deal, right? Also, it's reminiscent of how Snead picked up Janoris Jenkins and traded away the rights to Morris "er, uhm, duh" Claiborne. We ended up with the better corner and even got a pick out of the deal.

Maybe they like Sanders better than Austin, and maybe Sanders ends up being the better receiver long-term. Who knows? Either way, I'm not a huge proponent of drafting Austin anyway. Love the kid, love his athleticism, love his dynamic playmaking ability, but I just prefer more impactful players in the first round. I'd be thrilled to end up with one of the top safeties, OLB's, or OL in this draft with the first two picks.

Or... Patterson. Looking at Sanders leaves open the door for drafting Patterson.

A55VA6

Legend
The Dude said:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gGZ8eVzpY[/youtube]
1:50 - 2:01

Wow. This kid is electric. I like him. May not be that #1 guy but he can be a playmaker.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I like Sanders - a lot, even if it's to have someone named Ace on the roster :)

But seriously, saw his tapes a few weeks back and really liked what I saw, he's a great late round pick IMO, even if we just use him as a KR/PR for this season - and less of a risk than Austin...

Besides Austin WON't be there at 16...IMO

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
He doesn't have Austin's speed but the elusiveness is obviously there. I would much rather see us draft Sanders in the 5th than Austin in the 1st.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
BigRamFan said:
He doesn't have Austin's speed but the elusiveness is obviously there. I would much rather see us draft Sanders in the 5th than Austin in the 1st.

+1

That way we can fill more holes in our roster :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I love this guy, and I am so happy that the Rams are considering the Special Teams.

I hope everyone noticed the teams that he was going against...tells me he can play in the NFL.

Playmaker

This is my opinion. But I don't see a whole lot of difference in Ace Sanders and Tavon Austin. I think Austin's receiving skills are more polished. But they are basically the same type player. The difference in the two though is that fans are wanting Austin to be the #16 overall pick when you can get Ace Sanders on the third day of the draft.