I know nobody has ever thought about this topic, but why did we pick Avery over Jackson?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Watching playoff football has me salty. Why? Someone tell me why? When are we going to get a good WR?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I mocked him to us that year, and he was available. He's kind of an idiot, but man, he's talented as all hell.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Al Saunders who was offensive coordinator at the time felt Avery was a better fit for his offense and the fact that Avery was older the Rams felt he was more mature and would not come with the behavior issues that Jackson would have.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Also could have drafted Jordy Nelson that year too but took Avery.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
This thread (Ram's draft misses) could go on for years!

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I was so happy when DJAX fell to us. i was literally jumping for joy....and then we picked donnie freaking avery!!! And then we did it again with Quick over Jeffery. sigh..

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Also Nelson was drafted a few spots after Avery. In the third we took Greco. The fourth? Justin King. The fifth, Roy Scheuning. So back to your question, why Avery over Jackson? Because our front office/coaching was made up of toddlers learning how to play darts.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Also Nelson was drafted a few spots after Avery. In the third we took Greco. The fourth? Justin King. The fifth, Roy Scheuning. So back to your question, why Avery over Jackson? Because our front office/coaching was made up of toddlers learning how to play darts.

That led to the resignation of Jay Zygmunt who ran the drafts and the promotion of Billy Devaney who at that time was just a consultant.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It was a horrible draft, besides Greco, who Spags didn't think was better than Adam Fucking Goldberg.

No excuses.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even thinking about this makes me feel like I have a brain hemorrhage...

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Linehan had some of the worst drafts of all time. I just hate watching playoff football. Seeing a team like the Redskins, who we raped on the RGIII trade, and have them go to the playoffs 2 years since the trade and watch our offense still be horrible after years. I'm definitely bitter.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Linehan had some of the worst drafts of all time. I just hate watching playoff football. Seeing a team like the Redskins, who we raped on the RGIII trade, and have them go to the playoffs 2 years since the trade and watch our offense still be horrible after years. I'm definitely bitter.
That is a tough pill to swallow! They totally screwed up on that trade and still they are farther along than the Rams.
Shows how much difference good coaching makes.

FrankenRam

Starter
It was a horrible draft, besides Greco, who Spags didn't think was better than Adam freaking Goldberg.

If memory serves, Greco had some injury problems during his tenure with the Rams, no? But seems to have wound up having a decent career with Cleveland.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Because Jackson was, and still is, an idiot. Guy gets to the NFL and still associates with gang members, is cut straight from the TO me me me me cloth, and makes plays like this.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN9bDZ4ej_w

Hard to believe that way 8 years ago already.

You're probably right. DJax is a bit of a bitch. Four pillars and all...but it still felt like a "smartest guy in the room-syndrome" type pick from Devaney/Spags when DeSean Jackson sitting there. He's exactly what that horrific offense needed at the time. Someone explosive, dynamic and a potentially game changing guy with speed.

Debacled

Starter
You're probably right. DJax is a bit of a bitch. Four pillars and all...but it still felt like a "smartest guy in the room-syndrome" type pick from Devaney/Spags when DeSean Jackson sitting there. He's exactly what that horrific offense needed at the time. Someone explosive, dynamic and a potentially game changing guy with speed.

Spags and Devanney made for some good whipping boys, but this was before Spags.

Linehan was still the coach. BD was named "VP of player personnel" and given decision making powers over FA and the draft, but hardly had his own men in the building yet.

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
This thread (Ram's draft misses) could go on for years!
"Why did we draft player X instead of player Y" questions and debates can and will go on and on and seem pretty worthless to me. Of course the draft would be perfect if ALL the teams executed it in hindsight..... Everyone would get it right. The real answer is players are drafted by people on teams that actually know more and care more about the teams and selections than we do. They try to get it right but unfortunately can't ... Just like everyone else. Every fan on every team could say that about every player who's team did not select a great player . There are 20 combined teams wondering why they did not pick Gurley or Donald Etc etc. I always wonder why this question is raised. We have a lot of information on this board but not as much as the teams do.