I just hope the Rams aren't pressured to keep Michael Sam if he doesn't cut the mustard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Because with Gilbert, he alone will be taking a roster spot not used last year as we only carried 2 QB's, a second such wasted spot for someone undeserving would be near fatal.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I can't see that happening.

No team can afford to give a spot to someone undeserving.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't think we would give him a spot just to give him a spot, and I think most fans know that St. Louis is the team he is least likely to make the roster of. So I don't see them being pressured, because I doubt anyone honestly thinks Sam will make our roster. If he does, I'd be very surprised. Pleased, but surprised.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't see why everyone seems to be making a big deal about this, I've been hearing that since we drafted him, what about Jeff Fisher says he's going to keep an undeserving player on the roster just to be nice? If he sticks then he will have won the spot fair and square, and that's the end of that. Honestly I'm starting to see trends from the same people (not necessarily here, elsewhere though, so I'm not pointing a finger at anyone here) who made a big deal about him coming out, saying they didn't want him, to seeming a bit upset that we picked him, complaining about potential media circus's, to suggesting that he may be given a roster spot just because... I'm willing to bet those same people will be happy if he gets cut, or suggesting some sort of motive if he doesn't.

Fisher will judge him on his play and his play alone.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't see why everyone seems to be making a big deal about this, I've been hearing that since we drafted him, what about Jeff Fisher says he's going to keep an undeserving player on the roster just to be nice? If he sticks then he will have won the spot fair and square, and that's the end of that. Honestly I'm starting to see trends from the same people (not necessarily here, elsewhere though, so I'm not pointing a finger at anyone here) who made a big deal about him coming out, saying they didn't want him, to seeming a bit upset that we picked him, complaining about potential media circus's, to suggesting that he may be given a roster spot just because... I'm willing to bet those same people will be happy if he gets cut, or suggesting some sort of motive if he doesn't.

Fisher will judge him on his play and his play alone.
Yeah - He's either going to make or he's not. It will be tough but he honestly has a good shot. It's not like he's some crappy player. He may not see the field for a while as there is a huge and talented log jam in front of him. If he can't contribute on special teams though, it's going to be doubly tough on him. I'm not from the MO area but it would be very cool to have some of these local kids make the roster - period.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm sure there will be pressure on the Rams to keep him (by the non-football media), but everyone else knows it's a process and there are no free rides. I'm also fairly confident that Sam will be the first one to step up and say he was given a fair shot, but that the Rams are yoked at the DE position. And then there's the good chance he gets picked up by another team *if* he does get cut.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Because with Gilbert, he alone will be taking a roster spot not used last year as we only carried 2 QB's, a second such wasted spot for someone undeserving would be near fatal.
As a side issue, I really hope we're not tempted to have only 2 QBs on the roster again. It typically turns out really bad for us even if there's one on the Practice Squad (and thus poachable) too.

JMO.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I understand the curiosity and the need to talk about this player but it would seem wise to let him at least go through the training camp process before assuming that he will be cut and the possible repercussions of that. Can he make the switch to LB? Will he be someone special on ST's? If he isn't able to make the cut, will he be placed on the practice squad? Those are just a few of the questions that will be answered over the coming months.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I understand the curiosity and the need to talk about this player but it would seem wise to let him at least go through the training camp process before assuming that he will be cut and the possible repercussions of that. Can he make the switch to LB? Will he be someone special on ST's? If he isn't able to make the cut, will he be placed on the practice squad? Those are just a few of the questions that will be answered over the coming months.
I don't think there was any kind of implication that he WILL fail to cut the mustard and may or may not be cut.

All I took from this is that he (and I) hope that Sam will be treated like any other player... regardless of what kind of PR issues that causes the Rams. It's a valid concern, though I'm optimistic with an old hand like Fisher in charge.

MrMotes

Starter
As a side issue, I really hope we're not tempted to have only 2 QBs on the roster again. It typically turns out really bad for us even if there's one on the Practice Squad (and thus poachable) too.

JMO.

I was gonna post pretty much the opposite. I hate to waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB, much rather use it on someone who can contribute in a meaningful way on a regular basis, like on special teams for example.

More and more teams are carrying only 2. It's a competitive league and a limited roster...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I don't think there was any kind of implication that he WILL fail to cut the mustard and may or may not be cut.

All I took from this is that he (and I) hope that Sam will be treated like any other player... regardless of what kind of PR issues that causes the Rams. It's a valid concern, though I'm optimistic with an old hand like Fisher in charge.

Have never met Jeff Fisher in person but from what I can deduce from his rep over many years as a head coach in the NFL, he doesn't strike me as a butt-kisser or the politically-correct type regardless of what some around the league may eventually accuse him of for signing Michael Sam. He seems like the kind of coach who gives everyone a fair shake.

This leads me to believe that he will let the process play out and allow the chips to fall where they may. No way he allows an undeserving player to take the roster spot of a deserving one. If there is any future turbulence over this signing, I'm confident that Fisher will handle it like the pro that he is. Btw watch as he minimizes the amount of access that the media has to MS once training camp begins.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why are we discussing whether or not we are going to cut one of our own when he hasnt even played a snap, lets try treating him like every other draftee and hope he turns out to be a stud instead.

RamEERS

Pastor
the fallout could be nasty though... this is the age where we make excuses instead of faulting ourselves... if we do cut him, he could complain that the rams discriminated against him... which leads to bad PR and the entire league as well as outside communities hating on the rams.. its hard enough playing against the 49ers and seahawks with biased refs...

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Why are we discussing whether or not we are going to cut one of our own when he hasnt even played a snap, lets try treating him like every other draftee and hope he turns out to be a stud instead.
Precisely!

I'm excited for Sam because of what he can be as a FOOTBALL PLAYER! He isn't athletic enough to be a LB...not quite the ideal size for DE. But he is a pass rusher.

Don't the Rams have someone on their defensive staff known for creative and exotic blitz packages for rushing the passer?

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the fallout could be nasty though... this is the age where we make excuses instead of faulting ourselves... if we do cut him, he could complain that the rams discriminated against him... which leads to bad PR and the entire league as well as outside communities hating on the rams.. its hard enough playing against the 49ers and seahawks with biased refs...

Exactly.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame

If that happened Fisher would have to answer to the locker room. And since I'm assuming you've been in a locker room before, you know that that would destroy the team.

I don't see Fisher letting that happen.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I was gonna post pretty much the opposite. I hate to waste a roster spot on a 3rd QB, much rather use it on someone who can contribute in a meaningful way on a regular basis, like on special teams for example.

More and more teams are carrying only 2. It's a competitive league and a limited roster...

I think it would be smart to develop a QB. And if he showed enough promise that other teams would try and poach him, then he'd need a roster spot.