I have to make the Worst decision in my life!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My beloved " Grand-Dogger" Lizzie, Is having some real "Quality-of-Life" issues She's 17 years Old now and has been a perfect companion for my grand-daughter, and a Family protector to all. She has been everything you could want in a dog!
But her eyes are failing she has cancer, and a degenerative Hip problem! She keeps falling down and can't get herself up!
My wife and I have come to the conclusion it would be best to have her put to sleep!
I have been sick with the Flu for a week now, And helping Lizzie up 8 time in a distance of 20 ft, which brought on a C.O.P.D. attack for me. But this decision makes me feel really ill!!
lIZZIE.jpg
RIP Lizzie!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So sorry Dave. That's really a tough one. Dogs really become part of the family fabric.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm so sorry Dave, but admire you for doing what's best for your dog

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sorry to hear this, Dave.

Pets become part of the family and this is no doubt a difficult time. At least she lead a full life!

Take care, brother.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
This has become somewhat of a trite expression, but I really do feel your pain.
It's simply the worst, but you did the right thing, which Lizzie will confirm when you hook up again.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
My beloved " Grand-Dogger" Lizzie, Is having some real "Quality-of-Life" issues She's 17 years Old now and has been a perfect companion for my grand-daughter, and a Family protector to all. She has been everything you could want in a dog!
But her eyes are failing she has cancer, and a degenerative Hip problem! She keeps falling down and can't get herself up!
My wife and I have come to the conclusion it would be best to have her put to sleep!
I have been sick with the Flu for a week now, And helping Lizzie up 8 time in a distance of 20 ft, which brought on a C.O.P.D. attack for me. But this decision makes me feel really ill!!
View attachment 18935 RIP Lizzie!!
Wow! She's 17? Having to make that decision is indescribably awful. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. Right now, it's easy for me to say be thankful for 17 years of being blessed by your dog, as I'm not on your side of it. But I have been and will be again. Hopefully, it'll be awhile. My boy is 11 now which is getting up there for his size and breed. Took him to the beach yesterday where people thought he was half his age. Today, he's moving around like he's 15. It's tough... Dogs are a blessing! True, unconditional love given to us all day, every day. That's why dog is God spelled backwards! Praying for you and yours!! The pain you're going through is a testament to the blessings your dog brought to you!

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Dave that's pretty brutal, I think you're making the right decision. She has led a good life and will be missed by your families. Hopefully, she can find peace and no more suffering. Give her a hug from your Ramily.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm so sorry, Dave. I bet Lizzie is looking down on you, wagging her tail, waiting for you to join her eventually.

fearsomefour

Legend
We know this when we get pets.
It sucks but so it goes.
17 is awesome. Good full life.
A 6 on the scale of 10 in terms of decisions.
If the dog is really suffering it is time.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I know how difficult that can be Dave. I've had to make that decision twice... and it rips your heart out.

But you have to make sure that your dog or pet isn't suffering. They rely on you for everything. My last dog was 16 years old when I had to make that decision. That was about a year and a half ago. I still miss him, but I know it was the best thing I could have done. You'll know when it's time.

Stay strong for everyone Brudda.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have had to do this too many times. It doesn't get easier. My first dog was a Shih Tzu. He got liver cancer around 12years of age. I left him linger too long. I couldn't let go. He lost his sight too. He was so restless at night because he could see. When he heard a noise he would wander around the second floor. One night he fell down the steps, and I knew I had to do it. Since then I have put 4 others down.

I feel your pain Dave

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
I feel for you too, Brother. My parents, siblings and I had to go thru this last year. When I moved out of the house 15 years ago, my parents bought a dog to "fill the void" so to speak. The dog had similar issues, bad vision and issues with his legs. He was suffering and just not the same as he used to be. We said our goodbyes, gave him a proper sendoff and buried him in the backyard. We have a little "shrine" out there for him and it's like he's still out there protecting the yard, and now he always will be.

They're family... but if it's time... it's time. Remember the good times and all the memories and smile.
17 great years is awesome and admirable. Be strong.