I have no idea which way they go now

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Focus on other areas, Bradford was on pace for career highs on an extremely young and undeveloped offense. Get the young skill positions developed while he's healing and be ready for a big year next year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sam is still my man. He was seriously good this year. He will be better next year with the young WR's a little more seasoning.

Damn this is depressing.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I say draft a QB, groom him for a couple seasons, and we'll see where we're at from there.

V3

Hall of Fame
Take a QB in whatever round one falls to you. Don't reach for one. If there's a good QB in the first, take him. I'd get one somewhere in the first 3 rounds, though.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
After listening to Fisher tonight, I believe him when he says Sam is our guy and definitely expects him to be ready for the start of 2014. He said Sam's knee was in good shape except for the ACL, so I guess that means no problems with MCL, cartilage, etc. Sure sounds like Fisher is committed to Sam completely. How they handle the draft is uncertain though. They have got to add a QB in the draft somewhere.

Even more problematic is how they handle Sam's contract going forward now. Silver speculated that the Rams may cut Bradford because of all the money. I'm not cap savvy so I have no idea how that all works. But you'd think this injury has got to affect how the Rams handle the contract extension now.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I expect Sam back in 2014 as the starter and I also expect at least a backup quality QB out of the 2014 draft. (Remember that's what Seattle was expecting from Russell Wilson when they drafted him in the 3rd round and gave all that FA money to Matt Flynn to be their starter.)

The only fly in the ointment from my perspective is how they view Sam's durability going forward and to what extent to they hedge their bets, if at all. They may take the Tom Brady approach and go all in on Sam based on the high level of success of players with ACLs nowadays.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Sam's performance this year only further cements his connection to Fisher. Sam wasn't perfect, but he was pretty darn good this year.

Draft another QB? That's another roll of the dice.

The only valid question in my opinion is his ability to stay healthy. This knee injury wasn't exactly a viscous hit.

V3

Hall of Fame
I think Sam's performance this year only further cements his connection to Fisher. Sam wasn't perfect, but he was pretty darn good this year.

The only valid question in my opinion is his ability to stay healthy. This knee injury wasn't exactly a viscous hit.

You still have to draft another QB fairly high just to have a decent backup and to challenge Bradford. Competition breeds success.

Drafting a QB in the lower rounds really won't do much, IMO. Bradford won't feel any competition from him and the chances of a QB taken in the lower rounds ever doing anything are almost nothing.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't buy into competition breeds success. To me that's what people say when they're looking for a replacement. If you're truly happy with what you have, you don't need to spend a premium draft pick on someone else, unless they're being groomed as a replacement or the value is just so great you'd be a fool not to grab the player.

We have holes on this team and QB isn't one of them. There's a long list of positions I want to focus on before looking for another QB to hold the clipboard.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I agree with you on most of that. The injury was a bit flukey. Sam was running out of bounds but right before he got to the sideline he made a bit of a fake throwing motion with the ball. That may have left him more vulnerable to being in an awkward position when getting hit. That's the way it looked to me anyway.

While drafting anyone is a roll of the dice, you have to consider that option. They can't go in with only Sam coming off an ACL.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
The silver lining in this is the Rams may find a decent back up and teach him the O this year. I'm thinking a PS guy may be out there waiting for the chance and we may find him.