I finally understand the unnecessary roughing rule. Now the NFL needs to tell the players.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Look at the Steelers/Ravens game closely. My opinion, both called penalties UNR were bogus. They clearly did not make head to head/neck contact. What they did do is shoulder to shoulder contact above the bottom of the Shoulder pads.

My belief is that "the new NFL" is based on the notion that you can not hit anybody (within the plus or minis 3 yds of the line of scrimmage) above the bottom of the shoulder pads. They are forcing you to tackle from the bottom of the rib cage down. This somewhat okay, but look for a lot more knee/lower leg injuries AND a lot rugby style tackes going forward.

Seahawks were the first to figure this out. the NFL needs to just clearly tell the players that if you hit them from the bottom of the shoulder pads up you will be flagged. There will be less fumbles/seperations from the ball but less concussions on offensive players but more on defensive players.

PhxRam

Look at the Steelers/Ravens game closely. My opinion, both called penalties UNR were bogus. They clearly did not make head to head/neck contact. What they did do is shoulder to shoulder contact above the bottom of the Shoulder pads.

My belief is that "the new NFL" is based on the notion that you can not hit anybody (within the plus or minis 3 yds of the line of scrimmage) above the bottom of the shoulder pads. They are forcing you to tackle from the bottom of the rib cage down. This somewhat okay, but look for a lot more knee/lower leg injuries AND a lot rugby style tackes going forward.

Seahawks were the first to figure this out. the NFL needs to just clearly tell the players that if you hit them from the bottom of the shoulder pads up you will be flagged. There will be less fumbles/seperations from the ball but less concussions on offensive players but more on defensive players.

You are really not supposed to hit them from the knee down already

jjab360

Legend
Here's the official rules for anyone who didn't know:
new_tackle_rules.jpg

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Rugby style tackling would be better in terms of technique. I'm sick of watching players tackle by hitting an opponent with a shoulder pad and not using their arms at all. If it comes off, it looks good and the tackler can dance around like a fool for a few seconds as if they've just scored a TD but if it doesn't and the tackler simply bounces off the opponent then you get missed tackle numbers like we saw from the Rams on Sunday.

EDIT: Just saw the highlights of the Steelers/Ravens and, while my point stands, some of those calls were bad. Its getting to the point where you expect to see a flag on every play now. Sooner or later its going to make the game unwatchable

Last edited:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
You did notice which crew of officials were working that game? The same crew that worked the Rams/Vikes

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I hate the automatic call of roughing when you hit a quarterback with a hit that looks too violent - even if its clean (see Brockers as well!!) I was furious last night watching the Ravens game. It makes it worse when its regarded as being the "right call" because the rules suck so much.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Agree, the hit on Big Ben was a good tackle. He's a big strong guy and the ankle tackles just don't cut it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I agree the new rules suck and I disagree with all 3 of those calls last night. The rules aren't really protecting anyone they are justinjecting the officials more intot he outcome of the games.

No one pays to watch the refs. More complaints need to be lodged with the NFL offices.

jjab360

Legend
I agree the new rules suck and I disagree with all 3 of those calls last night. The rules aren't really protecting anyone they are justinjecting the officials more intot he outcome of the games.

No one pays to watch the refs. More complaints need to be lodged with the NFL offices.
I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on head and neck injuries before and after the rule changes to see if this is true or not.

fearsomefour

Legend
Rugby style tackling would be better in terms of technique. I'm sick of watching players tackle by hitting an opponent with a shoulder pad and not using their arms at all. If it comes off, it looks good and the tackler can dance around like a fool for a few seconds as if they've just scored a TD but if it doesn't and the tackler simply bounces off the opponent then you get missed tackle numbers like we saw from the Rams on Sunday.

EDIT: Just saw the highlights of the Steelers/Ravens and, while my point stands, some of those calls were bad. Its getting to the point where you expect to see a flag on every play now. Sooner or later its going to make the game unwatchable
We are approaching that point now.
There was some talk of having a quick review of roughing calls....cant see that happening as it will slow down the game even more. Goodell, in his mindless efforts to make the game more exciting, is letting the players do everything but play.
Up the Irons!!

fearsomefour

Legend
I'd be interested in seeing the statistics on head and neck injuries before and after the rule changes to see if this is true or not.
I dont think the league has an interest in protecting anyone not named Brady or Manning. I think the sudden rule changes were in reaction to lawsuits and nothing more.

jjab360

Legend
I dont think the league has an interest in protecting anyone not named Brady or Manning. I think the sudden rule changes were in reaction to lawsuits and nothing more.
Maybe, still interested in seeing if there were actually any results. If so, doesn't really matter to me what the reason is, hard to argue against player safety, career longevity, and long term mental and physical health.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
The call on the Steelers at the goal-line is the one that pissed me off the most. The receiver wasn't looking towards the guy who was about to tackle him, so I guess that makes him "defenseless". What is the defender supposed to do in that situation? I guess, by rule, he has to let him score. This shit is getting ridiculous....

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe, still interested in seeing if there were actually any results. If so, doesn't really matter to me what the reason is, hard to argue against player safety, career longevity, and long term mental and physical health.

Concussions have been decreasing for a couple of seasons according to what I heard on the radio while driving to work recently. I don't recall the exact percentage the decrease is season by season but it's enough to prove that the rules changes are reducing concussions.