I Expect a Fast Start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It will happen, and for good reason...
-Just 5 of 161 teams since '78 that started 0-3 have made the NFL playoffs. Historically, they have 3.1 percent chance.
-Last season, of the 12 teams that made the playoffs, none of them started the year with an 0-2 record. In fact, no team has made the playoffs after starting 0-2 since the 2008 season
-On the flip side of that equation, teams that have gone undefeated in the first two weeks have qualified for the playoffs 63.3 percent of the time since 1990

AZ won 10 games and missed out on the playoffs. Why? Look at week one vs our beloved Rams. The Cards fans will all tell you the same thing.

In this division there is little to no room for error.
In 2013 Seattle was 4-1 after five weeks.
SF started 3-2 after five weeks. Early losses @ Seattle and vs Indianapolis.
AZ started 3-2. When you look at the six losses the Cards suffered last season:
@ Rams
@ Saints
@ SF
vs Seattle
@ Philadelphia
vs SF
It becomes pretty obvious where AZ slipped up to cost them a post season birth.

Rams were 2-3 after five weeks last season. Our Rams have a losing culture that hasn't sniffed any kind of success in a decade. Getting off to a fast start is the first step in changing all that.

I never said they would go 0-3. But THIS team, if they manage to be 2-3 after 5 games, still could get to 10 wins. I also never said anything about playoffs. As you pointed out, Arizona was a 10 win team last year and missed out. EVERY year is different when it comes to qualifying for the playoffs. In most years, 8 or 9 win teams qualify.

With the competitive nature of the NFC West, I don't see any team, including Seattle or SF being a 13 or 14 win team. So being a playoff team, and finding a way to win 10 games may be mutually exclusive, or maybe not.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They're a good team, but who was their best win last season? A Rodgerless Packers? Arizona at home by the same margin we beat them at home? The blowout win against the Bears?

They probably would have won 12-13 games if Vick had not played and stunk it up, Foles would have pulled out another W or two. The Eagles were a very good team last year once Foles settled in. Everything can change from one year to the next of course but on the road against that team I don't think I'll be wagering on the Rams.

A 3-1 start won't make me unhappy, 4-0 would be great but I just don't see it. As far as the Cowboys this year they are leaving the Dome as losers. I don't care what recent history has been, this year the Rams are going to beat them in a dominant fashion. Jerry's team is going to be a shit show IMO for the next few years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vs Minn- W
@ TB- W
Vs. DAl-W
Bye
PHI- W

I really don't like the Philly matchup at all. Kelly is one helluva offensive mind, but the nice thing is the Rams have a bye to prepare for their tendencies. Of the first three, I believe Tampa will be the toughest matchup due to Lovie's addition. That team has a great deal of talent, should be a very nasty defensive battle we can flip a coin on.

Way I see it Minn and Dallas are the two games the Rams "should" win. But either could end up being tough depending on how well the Rams stop those running games.

IMO what really matters is that the Rams come out of the gate with great defense. If that happens they will come out on top in a lot of games over the course of the entire season, certainly enough to have a winning season and be in the playoff mix.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
I really don't like the Philly matchup at all. Kelly is one helluva offensive mind, but the nice thing is the Rams have a bye to prepare for their tendencies. Of the first three, I believe Tampa will be the toughest matchup due to Lovie's addition. That team has a great deal of talent, should be a very nasty defensive battle we can flip a coin on.

Way I see it Minn and Dallas are the two games the Rams "should" win. But either could end up being tough depending on how well the Rams stop those running games.

IMO what really matters is that the Rams come out of the gate with great defense. If that happens they will come out on top in a lot of games over the course of the entire season, certainly enough to have a winning season and be in the playoff mix.

That Philly game will tell us a lot about our defense.

I actually like the matchup for several reasons.

1. As you said, the bye week will give Gregg Williams a week to mastermind against Chip Kelly. It should make for one of the most interesting games of the early going.

2. Foles can get rattled and we have the stallions to get after him. Throw in some confusing coverages against a young QB and that's a good recipe for success.

3. Our DL depth will allow us to stay fresh against Chip Kelly's up tempo offense. If we get isolated with backups on the field, we're more than fine. I think Hayes-Carrington-Langford-Sims is an above average starting 4-3 DL in this league. They just happen to be our backups. That's ridiculous.

4. Their run defense wasn't good last year. It happens to be one of our strengths. Control the clock, control the ball and we'll compete.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I never said they would go 0-3. But THIS team, if they manage to be 2-3 after 5 games, still could get to 10 wins.
Highly unlikely and i'd be willing to say no way.

I also never said anything about playoffs. As you pointed out, Arizona was a 10 win team last year and missed out.
They missed out because they failed to take care of business vs a weaker team early in the season.
EVERY year is different when it comes to qualifying for the playoffs. In most years, 8 or 9 win teams qualify.
Agree, every year is different, but the statistics bear out that slow starts don't translate to winning seasons/playoffs. 8 or 9 wins isn't going to get you diddly squat in this division. The way things have been going, 10 wins gets you a "Good job now go home" pat on the back.

With the competitive nature of the NFC West, I don't see any team, including Seattle or SF being a 13 or 14 win team. So being a playoff team, and finding a way to win 10 games may be mutually exclusive, or maybe not.
10 wins was only good for 3rd place last season. I'm not sure why you're debating this....or fighting against the idea that the Rams must get off to a fast start.? The NFL isn't waiting for the Rams to get better so they can lie down and let us get to 10 wins.

They probably would have won 12-13 games if Vick had not played and stunk it up, Foles would have pulled out another W or two. The Eagles were a very good team last year once Foles settled in. Everything can change from one year to the next of course but on the road against that team I don't think I'll be wagering on the Rams.

A 3-1 start won't make me unhappy, 4-0 would be great but I just don't see it. As far as the Cowboys this year they are leaving the Dome as losers. I don't care what recent history has been, this year the Rams are going to beat them in a dominant fashion. Jerry's team is going to be a crap show IMO for the next few years.

And how do they do playing the Rams schedule? The teams they faced with Foles as QB were a combined 76-98-2 (70-96-2 if you take out Rodgers for GB).

As I say they are a good team, but they could be overrated due to having such a weak schedule.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
And how do they do playing the Rams schedule? The teams they faced with Foles as QB were a combined 76-98-2 (70-96-2 if you take out Rodgers for GB).

As I say they are a good team, but they could be overrated due to having such a weak schedule.

It's possible, but I don't like the matchup.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Highly unlikely and i'd be willing to say no way.

They missed out because they failed to take care of business vs a weaker team early in the season.
Agree, every year is different, but the statistics bear out that slow starts don't translate to winning seasons/playoffs. 8 or 9 wins isn't going to get you diddly squat in this division. The way things have been going, 10 wins gets you a "Good job now go home" pat on the back.

10 wins was only good for 3rd place last season. I'm not sure why you're debating this....or fighting against the idea that the Rams must get off to a fast start.? The NFL isn't waiting for the Rams to get better so they can lie down and let us get to 10 wins.

Why is it whenever I seem to disagree with you, you seem to want to attack me for my position? I am not saying a fast start wouldn't be beneficial. I merely have pointed out, that with the schedule being what it is, especially in the second half, it isn't as dire as many seem to think. And I will not be shocked if it doesn't happen. Now factor in my observation that Jeff Fisher coached teams, generally get better as the season progresses, I am not going to be one of those who jumps ship if they don't start off 3-0 or 4-1.

The only one trying to pick a fight here, seems to be YOU!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Why is it whenever I seem to disagree with you, you seem to want to attack me for my position? I am not saying a fast start wouldn't be beneficial. I merely have pointed out, that with the schedule being what it is, especially in the second half, it isn't as dire as many seem to think. And I will not be shocked if it doesn't happen. Now factor in my observation that Jeff Fisher coached teams, generally get better as the season progresses, I am not going to be one of those who jumps ship if they don't start off 3-0 or 4-1.

The only one trying to pick a fight here, seems to be YOU!
Fine. I won't quote you anymore. Your constant defensive stance makes it difficult to have a discussion/debate with you. <----- Yes, that line was personal. There shall not be any more discussion between us.

~ It has been written and so it shall be put forth into ROD history

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Our defensive line rotation should be advantageous against the fast paced Philly offense. Having a solid 8 man rotation will keep guys fresh.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Our defensive line rotation should be advantageous against the fast paced Philly offense. Having a solid 8 man rotation will keep guys fresh.

As a Ducks fan, the way to beat the Chip Kelly offense is to have a penetrating D-line that collapses the pocket while still containing the QB. Ohio State did this in the Rose bowl game, and Auburn's Nick Fairley pretty much single handedly won the National Championship for them. In the Auburn game the Ducks held Cam Newton to one of their lowest scoring games of the year. Unfortunately, Nick Fairley held the Ducks to only 19 points and Auburn won on a late field goal. If the D-ends stay disciplined and don't get suckered into overpenetrating, and the D-tackles penetrate and disrupt the timing, Chip Kelly WILL get rattled. Oddly, the Rams have EXACTLY the type of defense to beat Chip Kelly and the Iglles.

Don't get me wrong though, Chip is a heck of a coach and I LOVE what he did for the Ducks.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I believe we can start out 6-0! But that 3 game Road trip in wks 8-9-10 really has me Buged! And then we come home to the Bronco's! But after all is said and done I see the Rams Finishing the Season 11-5:D GO RAMS

1. Three road games in a row
2. week 4 bye
3. Playing the niners AGAIN after their bye

what a bunch of Bullshit!

still - if we split the division games & beat the Vikings, Bucs, Cowboys, Eagles, Chargers, Raiders, Redskins & Giants (all doable) were 10-5.

2015 = Super Bowl

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm not overly concerned, Minn. Has a New HC, a New QB, and a New scheme. I wouldn't worry too much about them in wk.#1. Maybe if we were playing them in wk. 6 or 8, but not in wk.1!

Unless they start the rookie they won't have a new QB. Zimmer's a pretty good defensive mind and I'm assuming Norv Turner will handle the offense and help make Patterson a star like he did for Gordon in Cleveland. Not all new coaching staffs suffer slow starts.

And in the end, new or no, any scheme that involves handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson can be dangerous. Then again, maybe I've just got that 212 yards he ran against the team the last time they met on the brain.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
The Rams will defeat the Eagles. I predict a beat down. I'm getting good vibes this will be a special season for our Rams. Maybe not 99 special, but close. Of course I felt like this last season as well. One of these years it will come true, again.