I don't want Austin in at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's look at this Tavon situation logically...

Here's one way. Forget the emotional attachment, if you can.

McVay has always had kind words for Tavon. But what about McVay's actions?

Allowed Britt to walk.
Allowed Quick to walk
Signed Woods to FA contract.
Drafted Kupp.
Drafted Reynolds
Traded for Watkins
Stated that there was a place for Thomas even after the suspension.
Had kind words for Cooper on multiple occasions.

So here's my question. Do these ACTIONS seem to indicate a HC that is 100% committed to Tavon as a long term centerpiece WR in his O? Of course not.

Or, how about this logic?

Is Tavon among the top 3 WR's on this roster as a WR? Ummm, no.
Is Tavon the best PR or KR on this roster? Doubtful. I think Cooper is better overall.
Is Tavon the best RB on this roster? Nope. Other than the occasional trick play that the opposing D can now fully expect and negate, that is.

Sooooo...

Exactly what position does Tavon have, anymore? Which is he really "best" at, currently? I'm thinking that he's now a man without a real position on this team.

See what I mean?

Two different but logical ways to come to the same conclusion. Tavon is now an overpaid player without a clear advantage over other very capable and even superior players.

Doesn't mean that we're not stuck with his contract for this year. But next year, barring a miraculous coaching job this year, I think Tavon is a goner. Fisher's Folly.

I think he's by far the best returner. Moreover, I don't see him as a traditional WR or RB, but a slash player. And in McVay's scheme, he could do much better than Percy Harvin did in his prime.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm totally good with that role....in addition to punt returns for a more disciplined team. He can score from anywhere on the field.

And again as far as the money and his contract goes in 2017....
giphy.gif

RamWoodie

Legend
Hmmm....seems to me all Tavon needs is a coach that KNOWS how to use him. I can't "hear out" the OP because you have here, a guy that can play anywhere you put him in the offense....THAT'S A WEAPON!!! A weapon can do nothing until one shows they can effectively deploy that weapon!

TA has done nothing but try to produce. He has gotten better every year...until last year when the offense got anemic with "the Goff experiment". Now it seems the Rams has a coach with the offensive acumen where all he can do is improve.

If you don't know what you have...how can you use it effectively???

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What...I don't understand the money thing here. Explain it to me. What exactly do I win?

We go with your prediction. If he remains healthy and gets to return punts he'll be MVP. I'm sure after the season we can move the casheesh over via the mods or whatnot, gentleman's agreement-wise.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Before I even read through the thread. I am going to point out that the play action roll out play that sprung Woods for a 9 yard gain early in yesterday's game. That's the type of play that Austin is potentially taking 20+ yards.

I LITERALLY thought the same exact thing. When I saw it, I thought to myself, "boy if that was TA that play's still going!"

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm wondering if Watkins is already worried he's not going to get the targets he got in Buffalo. Our rookies are looking ready way ahead of schedule (credit to coaching?). Can we get an OL for Austin in a trade?

I don't think you come into a McVay Offense and expect to be the 'main man' his system throws it around to multiple guys.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Just imagine your DB's are worried about Watkins going deep, Woods and Kupp running perfect routes and you've got Tavon popping out of the backfield with space to dance - that's 20+ yards baby!

~lyser

Rookie
Tavon Austin has a role as a WR, PR, RB, and decoy. Defenses have to account for him and respect his play making ability. He is a threat anytime he is on the field. All we really need him to do is make a few splash plays early in the season to remind DCs that he HAS to be accounted for and that will open things up for all the other weapons. This year he is not the ONLY WR threat and DCs will have to account for Watkins, Woods, Kupp and one of the TEs. That makes TA even more dangerous. His touches will go down, but his overall impact will increase. I look forward to seeing how McVay uses TA; should be fun to watch.

One question - why is TA NOT suited for KR? I seriously do not know, but it seems to be the general consensus that he can't do that job. Is he too small? Not enough of a north-south guy? Any input would be appreciated.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I don't think you come into a McVay Offense and expect to be the 'main man' his system throws it around to multiple guys.

Very true, he worked all the playmakers into the system in Washington. I think that might've been a reason DJax left.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Tavon is still a weapon who can do amazing things with the ball in his hands and some space.
He simply needs to catch the catchable balls.
I have a feeling that removing the lax attitude that used to be here with our former coach, (who will remain unnamed :D ) that Tavon realizes that he had better up his game considerably.

If he doesn't, I don't even know if he'll be a game-day active consistently.

First, he needs to get healthy.
Secondly, he gets needs to get in sync with our new offense.
Thirdly, he had better show good hands. ( this has been a theme with the receivers we've brought in ).

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this is his last year as a Ram unless he wants to renegotiate that crazy contract.

JMO

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He simply needs to catch the catchable balls.
I have a feeling that removing the lax attitude that used to be here with our former coach, (who will remain unnamed :D ) that Tavon realizes that he had better up his game considerably.

If he doesn't, I don't even know if he'll be a game-day active consistently.

First, he needs to get healthy.
Secondly, he gets needs to get in sync with our new offense.
Thirdly, he had better show good hands. ( this has been a theme with the receivers we've brought in ).

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this is his last year as a Ram unless he wants to renegotiate that crazy contract.

JMO
I think a lot of the missed catches could be down to the pressure of wanting / needing to take it to the house. He's now a cog in the machine, less pressure on him as a person / player. I honestly think he's going to flourish in this McVay system

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
And again as far as the money and his contract goes in 2017....
giphy.gif
Well except when semi-producers are receiving a disproportionate amount on their contracts vs. their production,
it makes it a little bit harder to sign your Aaron Donald's.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I keep going back and forth on him. On one hand I don't think we NEED him to have a good offense, but after seeing what Watkins did to really open up the offense, I must admit, the potential Austin has in this offense has me drooling.

UtahRam

Rookie
We go with your prediction. If he remains healthy and gets to return punts he'll be MVP. I'm sure after the season we can move the casheesh over via the mods or whatnot, gentleman's agreement-wise.

Wait-a-minute...LOL Explain the cash thing in two sentences and then I'll bet you. I ain't betting if I don't know what there is to lose...LOL Right now you're getting a hot cup of jack squat!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wait-a-minute...LOL Explain the cash thing in two sentences and then I'll bet you. I ain't betting if I don't know what there is to lose...LOL Right now you're getting a hot cup of jack squat!

I don't understand what there is to explain. You made a claim, I offered to wager $20k ROD dolla on it. If you don't want to no sweat, just messin around tbh it's not a big deal.