I don't want Austin in at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Yes, I'm saying Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Higbee/Everett and Gurley are all better weapons than Austin right now.

Oh boy.

Play the tape from Austin's rookie year, specifically against Indianapolis. He's proven he can be a dangerous threat at WR when used effectively. Having Boras as his OC did him no favors.

Higbee is a better receiving threat than Tavon? C'mon.

Sappy113

Rookie
I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to get too cute trying to make a package for Austin when we have so many better weapons at our disposal.

That's the thing, though. We finally have legit weapons on O. That makes this EXACTLY the time I want to see Tavon on the field, and used smartly. With other focus points on O, Tavon could finally see some open space on the field, and become the game breaker we all hoped he would be. He likely won't be a focal point in the receiver core, but he could have a handful of big gains a game, every week. Which could be what we need to tip the scales in tight games.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
We've got an offensive coaching staff that will do more than throw bubble screens to Tavon over and over again in an attempt to get him those 100+ catches that Fisher promised. Honestly, the previous staff must have believed that all they had to do was put the ball in his hands and let him worry about the rest. That's "middle school" as Gurley would say.

McVay and co will know exactly how to use him properly to get him in space and THEN put the ball in his hands. He can then do what he does best. Just need him to get healthy.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Op, I can see why you would think that, i actually kinda agreed with you at first. But then i had to remind myself that we've never seen Tavon in an offense that gave him an actual role and had other receivers to stretch the field. Lets see what tavon can do outside of a "middle school" offense.

fearsomefour

Legend
Getting Watkins, Woods, and Reynolds running vertical routes...then bringing Austin across the field underneath....why wouldn't you wanna see that?
Amen, create mismatches and get him into space.
The guy could take a 10 yard slant or cross and turn it into a huge play.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
It is amazing the weapons that have been added to this offense since Fisher's departure. I am confident that these coaches will get the most out of these players skill sets. Also the offensive line will be much improved.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Tavon Austin, if he stays healthy and they let him return punts, will be our team MVP this year.

I'll take that bet. $20K ROD dolla. Put your money where your post is Utah! Let's go!!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hear me out.

Any way I can cut it, it seems like having him in at WR just takes away a more proven weapon right now. Yes, I'm saying Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Higbee/Everett and Gurley are all better weapons than Austin right now.

I don't really see anyone in that group that I would want taken off the field right now except for Gurley (Austin in a 3rd down role - if he can block) at any time to get Austin playing time when he's only shown his only consistent talent is his speed.

Can he run routes better than anyone above? Can he block better than anyone above? Can he catch better than anyone above?

Maybe we can have him be a WR in 5 WR sets (with Everett/Higbee in and Gurley out) but I don't see any Ace sets I'd ever want him in on right now.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to get too cute trying to make a package for Austin when we have so many better weapons at our disposal.
I see were your coming from, But I have to agree with @jrry32, He nailed it!

I do want Austin in at WR. Let a guy like Watkins stress the defense deep, let Kupp work them underneath, and then hit Tavon on a crossing route in the intermediate range with room to run.

Getting Tavon on the field gets one of our other WRs a breather and keeps them all fresh. He's still a weapon who can do amazing things with the ball in his hands and some space.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Let's look at this Tavon situation logically...

Here's one way. Forget the emotional attachment, if you can.

McVay has always had kind words for Tavon. But what about McVay's actions?

Allowed Britt to walk.
Allowed Quick to walk
Signed Woods to FA contract.
Drafted Kupp.
Drafted Reynolds
Traded for Watkins
Stated that there was a place for Thomas even after the suspension.
Had kind words for Cooper on multiple occasions.

So here's my question. Do these ACTIONS seem to indicate a HC that is 100% committed to Tavon as a long term centerpiece WR in his O? Of course not.

Or, how about this logic?

Is Tavon among the top 3 WR's on this roster as a WR? Ummm, no.
Is Tavon the best PR or KR on this roster? Doubtful. I think Cooper is better overall.
Is Tavon the best RB on this roster? Nope. Other than the occasional trick play that the opposing D can now fully expect and negate, that is.

Sooooo...

Exactly what position does Tavon have, anymore? Which is he really "best" at, currently? I'm thinking that he's now a man without a real position on this team.

See what I mean?

Two different but logical ways to come to the same conclusion. Tavon is now an overpaid player without a clear advantage over other very capable and even superior players.

Doesn't mean that we're not stuck with his contract for this year. But next year, barring a miraculous coaching job this year, I think Tavon is a goner. Fisher's Folly.

Big Game

Living The Dream
Hear me out.

Any way I can cut it, it seems like having him in at WR just takes away a more proven weapon right now. Yes, I'm saying Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Higbee/Everett and Gurley are all better weapons than Austin right now.

I don't really see anyone in that group that I would want taken off the field right now except for Gurley (Austin in a 3rd down role - if he can block) at any time to get Austin playing time when he's only shown his only consistent talent is his speed.

Can he run routes better than anyone above? Can he block better than anyone above? Can he catch better than anyone above?

Maybe we can have him be a WR in 5 WR sets (with Everett/Higbee in and Gurley out) but I don't see any Ace sets I'd ever want him in on right now.

We have to have a guy like Tavon because on third downs teams will start keying in on Kupp if they feel like he is Goff's only underneath target. Tavon can help keep a defense honest

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's look at this Tavon situation logically...

Here's one way. Forget the emotional attachment, if you can.

McVay has always had kind words for Tavon. But what about McVay's actions?

Allowed Britt to walk.
Allowed Quick to walk
Signed Woods to FA contract.
Drafted Kupp.
Drafted Reynolds
Traded for Watkins
Stated that there was a place for Thomas even after the suspension.
Had kind words for Cooper on multiple occasions.

So here's my question. Do these ACTIONS seem to indicate a HC that is 100% committed to Tavon as a long term centerpiece WR in his O? Of course not.

Or, how about this logic?

Is Tavon among the top 3 WR's on this roster as a WR? Ummm, no.
Is Tavon the best PR or KR on this roster? Doubtful. I think Cooper is better overall.
Is Tavon the best RB on this roster? Nope. Other than the occasional trick play that the opposing D can now fully expect and negate, that is.

Sooooo...

Exactly what position does Tavon have, anymore? Which is he really "best" at, currently? I'm thinking that he's now a man without a real position on this team.

See what I mean?

Two different but logical ways to come to the same conclusion. Tavon is now an overpaid player without a clear advantage over other very capable and even superior players.

Doesn't mean that we're not stuck with his contract for this year. But next year, barring a miraculous coaching job this year, I think Tavon is a goner. Fisher's Folly.

Are you gonna be happy or sad when tavon tears shit up on the field this season?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I do want Austin in at WR. Let a guy like Watkins stress the defense deep, let Kupp work them underneath, and then hit Tavon on a crossing route in the intermediate range with room to run.
That's the plan.

Levels.

Zero

Pro Bowler
That's the thing, though. We finally have legit weapons on O. That makes this EXACTLY the time I want to see Tavon on the field,
th

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Think about it. Anyone think Kupp would be this effective under Fisher? Of course not.

Granted he's grown, but look at the MASSIVE difference with Goff. Pharoah Cooper looks better. Reynolds looks like he'll contribute nicely this year.

So why is Tavon Austin being limited from a potential perspective when we acknowledge all the issues with Goff, Gurley and the OL scheme?

Heck, the better question is this: If we've seen such creativity and execution from a Preseason offense that Goff, Kupp and to a lesser extent Gurley are being talked about in league-wide circles, then how good could someone with the evasiveness and as good in the open field as Austin be?

Couple Austin's potential and capabilities with McVay's scheme and focus on execution and we should see yet another weapon for this offense.

Every weapon adds to the difficulty for the defense. They can't sit on Watkins or ignore Kupp or leave Everett or shade away from Woods. Add Tavon Austin to the mix and it's "pick your poison"

I've said since very early in this year that the patterns were showing the potential for a significant improvement for the Rams on both O and D.

The rapid ascension of Kupp and the very rapid adoption of McVay's scheme in addition to the acquisition of Watkins only improves the outlook for the Rams.

And now that we've seen the scheme, it's clear to me at least that Austin will be very difficult for opposing defenses to account for.