I don't want Austin in at WR

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Hear me out.

Any way I can cut it, it seems like having him in at WR just takes away a more proven weapon right now. Yes, I'm saying Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Higbee/Everett and Gurley are all better weapons than Austin right now.

I don't really see anyone in that group that I would want taken off the field right now except for Gurley (Austin in a 3rd down role - if he can block) at any time to get Austin playing time when he's only shown his only consistent talent is his speed.

Can he run routes better than anyone above? Can he block better than anyone above? Can he catch better than anyone above?

Maybe we can have him be a WR in 5 WR sets (with Everett/Higbee in and Gurley out) but I don't see any Ace sets I'd ever want him in on right now.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to get too cute trying to make a package for Austin when we have so many better weapons at our disposal.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do want Austin in at WR. Let a guy like Watkins stress the defense deep, let Kupp work them underneath, and then hit Tavon on a crossing route in the intermediate range with room to run.

Getting Tavon on the field gets one of our other WRs a breather and keeps them all fresh. He's still a weapon who can do amazing things with the ball in his hands and some space.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do want Austin in at WR. Let a guy like Watkins stress the defense deep, let Kupp work them underneath, and then hit Tavon on a crossing route in the intermediate range with room to run.

Getting Tavon on the field gets one of our other WRs a breather and keeps them all fresh. He's still a weapon who can do amazing things with the ball in his hands and some space.

If he can catch it ;) Sounds like you might be thinking that Woods could be the guy to come off if that occurs...

Though if they did that, I think it would be reminiscent of the work he did at WVU back in the day...

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Need to use him the way Martz used Az-Zahir Hakim

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I'm looking forward to seeing how Tavon fits in because with the ball in his hands he's still the most dangerous weapon we have. Just have to figure out how to get him his touches. I think McVay will have a great plan for Tavon.

jjab360

Legend
I think there's still a role for him in this offense like @jrry32 stated. Certainly not a role befitting his contract but I'm not gonna beat that dead horse.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
This will definitely be a do or die year for TA. I'm leaning towards that contract just not getting justified. Hope I'm wrong.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
my opinion seems to go with the consensus but I think that Tavon would be deadly as a home run hitter

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I'm wondering if Watkins is already worried he's not going to get the targets he got in Buffalo. Our rookies are looking ready way ahead of schedule (credit to coaching?). Can we get an OL for Austin in a trade?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Austin on the field just makes it harder for defenders to choose who to double cover. We have so many weapons now compared to the last decade its ridiculous. Dont forget Austin can line up in the backfield too. Goff is gonna spread the ball around so much its gonna be insane.

Im not even a fan of Austin but can see what will happen with him on the field.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I want to see a GSOT-like five WR set. :mrburnsevil:

DBs will be like... :shocking::shocked::help::giveup::death:

fearsomefour

Legend
Hear me out.

Any way I can cut it, it seems like having him in at WR just takes away a more proven weapon right now. Yes, I'm saying Watkins, Woods, Kupp, Higbee/Everett and Gurley are all better weapons than Austin right now.

I don't really see anyone in that group that I would want taken off the field right now except for Gurley (Austin in a 3rd down role - if he can block) at any time to get Austin playing time when he's only shown his only consistent talent is his speed.

Can he run routes better than anyone above? Can he block better than anyone above? Can he catch better than anyone above?

Maybe we can have him be a WR in 5 WR sets (with Everett/Higbee in and Gurley out) but I don't see any Ace sets I'd ever want him in on right now.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't want to get too cute trying to make a package for Austin when we have so many better weapons at our disposal.
The sets Austin would be in for probably would not see both Higbee and Everett in at the same time.
Also, I like Higbee but he has done nothing in terms of being productive in a game. Austin has.
Seems sort of silly to say "Let's eleminate this threat to benefit these other kind of threats."

fearsomefour

Legend
I think there's still a role for him in this offense like @jrry32 stated. Certainly not a role befitting his contract but I'm not gonna beat that dead horse.
It totally depends.
In terms of being a traditional 1,100 yard receiver? No.
In terms of a guy who through receiving, rushing and returning can score 14 TDs in a year? Yes.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Can he block better than anyone above? Can he catch better than anyone above?

Actually, Austin has proven to be a consistently good blocker for the Rams, especially when considering his size. He ranked (PFF) right behind Harkey last season, and with twice the blocking attempts. I believe I see what quite a few other fans have mentioned already, coupled with the new offensive weapons, Austin could either have a break-out year or at least perform at his Fisher-like role as a backfield utility player which could break off a lot of yards while others are covered. I always felt that Dunbar would be Austin's greatest rival, but his absence gets him another season to prove his value. Also, with hopefully fewer penalties on special teams, maybe we see some of those TD ruturns stand up. jmo.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think if there's one thing McVay has proven this year and during his time as an OC - it's that he has an elite offensive scheme. There's no other way to put it, his personnel groupings and concepts are legit.

He will get the best out of Tavon in this offense. And if he can't catch the ball then he won't play at WR, it's pretty simple. But McVay will get the ball into his hands in space one way or another...I have no doubt about that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Getting Watkins, Woods, and Reynolds running vertical routes...then bringing Austin across the field underneath....why wouldn't you wanna see that?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
i hear ya WestCoast. I think you're spot on with those thoughts. But before I make that call I'd like to see what Mcvay has planned. Who knows, it might blow your mind.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I think Tavon offers something no other Rams receiver does. Defenses will have to pick their poison this year. :mrburnsevil:

jap

Legend
I think Tavon offers something no other Rams receiver does. Defenses will have to pick their poison this year. :mrburnsevil:

. . . which is how Tavon is ideally used - as a super duper wild card. Is the Gurley Express! and Malcolm Brown bruising & gassing your front seven too much? How about we take away the thunder for a play or two and force you to chase a super lightning bug with electric speed & quicks? Is Robert, Sammy, and Cooper Kupp driving you crazy with their surgically precise route running? Suppose while you are trying to contain them, we dump the rock off to our super smurf who is faster and quicker than all of them? Contain that!!!

Believe me!, this may be the first season where Tavon might truly earn the Tavon Awesome label. Gurley, Sammy, Robert, Cooper Kupp, Pharoh Copper, Everett, Higbee, Michael Thomas, etc. Yeah, DCs, ya gotta contain all! those guys and still deal with Tavon too! Good luck, suckers!!!

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I think alot of folks gave forgotten Tavon from 2 years ago , he scored 10 tds! Looks like the receiving core is fine with Watkins woods and kupp , but just imagine what tavons speed can add under mcvay...the other guys will sell get the ball, this is not the Fisher offense, goff will have plenty opportunities to get people the ball.
All that said after the season he need to restructure contract or go lol