I don't like how the offense is being ran (or not running)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Well, duh we're not scoring.

Not that. The Rams need to find a running game. We got thunder/lightning for the 1st time since...ever.

Today, there was 30 pass attempts (not including Clemens). And only 17 rush attempts (not including QB scrambles). And 3 of those were Pead way late, so really only 14 rush attempts.

Why did they give up the running game? Rams aren't a finesse passing team. The game wasn't out of hand early, but they went pass happy. This OL isn't gonna pass protect consistently every attempt. That puts too much pressure on Sam...both mentally and physically.

2nd, if they do go pass happy, why not any quick screens to WRs or slants to take some of that pressure and slow down the pass rush? Get these guys out in space and make the defenders miss. Ryan freakin Tannenhill did that. Also, why aren't they utilized the TEs? Isn't that Schotty's "M.O."? W/ the Jets and Keller...

3rd, Sam is a beast at PA. He looks like Brady when doing it. The Rams need the running game, much like Denver did tonight. That was an awesome game if you like running football. Oh Denver has an elite OL? Well, Pittsburgh don't, and look what they did. With Dwyer/Rainy.

I feel like this could've been a much different game if the Rams played keep away from Brady. Keep the ball longer...pound it at them. Hell, even New Engalnd ran it today.

It's annoying. Not calling for Schotty's firing or anything like that. I just think the O should be called to match its strengths..which is running it and using PA.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: I don't like how the offense is being ran (or not runnin

I tend to agree. We have a 3-headed rushing attack, and we should have had at least 35 rushing attempts. But the problem was when NE scored on EVERY SINGLE DRIVE for 5 straight drives. Once that happens you really don't have much choice. It's try to catch up or give the hell up.

I don't have a real good short-term memory, so I don't know if they abandoned the run too early. Seems to me after that first opening drive they should have chewed as much clock as they could. Take 44 seconds for every offensive play and run behind the RT with a guard pulling and Kendricks leading.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

I can agree to a certain point, but there's more to it than that this game. Penalties and situations didn't really allow for us to establish much of a running game.

Both of the last games I certainly agree with it though. I don't really have a problem with Shotty though. If he stays here, I can see Sam growing nicely into this offense. He knows what he's doing, and what he wants to do. Not but maybe once have I really said WHAT THE FUCK, WHY?!?!?!? Like I did about 10-15 times a game with McDaniels last season.

I agree with the way the PA has looked this year as well. Cignetti might deserve some credit here. Fucking beastly.

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Look I'm not saying don't pass at all. But when it's 14-7, or even 21-7...smash and dash is still an option.

IDK if "abandoning it" was the right word, but it was def. more pass happy early on.

I want a nice mix of pounding, dashing, PA, and of course the mid range passes. Not one damn thing the whole damn game.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I think their plan was to pass more because the Pats pass D is so bad. However our o-line was not up to the task and the Pats ended up playing so deep that we couldn't get anything after the first drive. They adjusted right away and allowed stuff before the first down marker and nothing else it seemed. Our run game wasn't really all that great either, the O-Line just didn't get any push.

But I do want to see more running. And I've said it a few times now, let Pead get some rushes. He's far more elusive than Jackson or Richardson are, he's dangerous in space. Having Jackson pound it, Richardson threaten to hit a homerun play, and Pead to change it up even more can help our offense out. If we're dressing all three running backs, play them.

Oh, and Richardson needs to get better at pass pro. There's no way the Rams can trade Jackson with both rookies being such a liability in that department. Richardson almost got Sam killed today, he does that too much.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Rams down by 2 scores... This is the drive that fucks everything concerning running.

1-10-STL 29 (6:15) 39-S.Jackson right guard to STL 29 for no gain (74-K.Love).
2-10-STL 29 (5:37) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 13-C.Givens to STL 38 for 9 yards (37-A.Dennard).
3-1-STL 38 (4:57) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 11-B.Gibson to STL 46 for 8 yards (29-S.Moore).
1-10-STL 46 (4:22) 8-S.Bradford pass short right to 39-S.Jackson pushed ob at NE 46 for 8 yards (55-B.Spikes).
2-2-NE 46 (3:48) 39-S.Jackson right tackle to NE 41 for 5 yards (37-A.Dennard).
1-10-NE 41 (3:04) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 39-S.Jackson to NE 35 for 6 yards (54-D.Hightower). PENALTY on STL-66-Sh.Smith, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NE 41 - No Play.
1-20-STL 49 (2:37) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 26-D.Richardson pushed ob at STL 47 for -2 yards (51-J.Mayo) [54-D.Hightower]. STL-8-S.Bradford was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
Timeout #1 by STL at 02:30.
2-22-STL 47 (2:30) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 88-L.Kendricks to NE 46 for 7 yards (95-C.Jones).
Timeout #1 by NE at 02:19.
3-15-NE 46 (2:19) (Shotgun) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 88-L.Kendricks to NE 35 for 11 yards (32-D.McCourty).
Two-Minute Warning
4-4-NE 35 (2:00) (Field Goal formation) 6-J.Hekker left end to NE 44 for -9 yards (23-M.Cole).

After that drive, they went up from 2 scores to 4 scores. They got the ball twice since we got it back with 6 secs left in the half. Had a TD before and after the half.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201210280 ... playbyplay

bluecoconuts

Legend

Username said:
1-20-STL 49 (2:37) 8-S.Bradford pass short left to 26-D.Richardson pushed ob at STL 47 for -2 yards (51-J.Mayo) [54-D.Hightower]. STL-8-S.Bradford was injured during the play. His return is Probable.

That's the play where Richardson totally missed on a block and forced Sam to run for his life and get crushed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I dissent , there were times during the second half that I was certain they were wasting plays running.
Givens going out for what? three or so possessions really hurt, if you can't take the top off that defense you are in trouble cuz they are so fucking big in the middle. As the lead expanded they COULD blitz and did more and more.
If we had gotten that first three and out, no penalty and come back and built our OWN 14-0 lead, then the options come to US.

In the end though running on NE aint the way to beat them unless they are in fear of the big play and when they are ahead 28-7 they are willing to risk it.

We didn't keep up with a scoring machine , it was our only chance.

As far as our running back situation goes, I'd like to see more of Pead because as MUCH as I LOVE aspects of DR, IMO he isn't a "factor back",he can run between the tackles but when he gets hit square by even a safety he gets stood up , dropping his shoulder doesn't get it done,he's 15 pounds too light minimum ,he's a weapon but can't be THE MAN. If we trade SJ and Pead isn't a better power back and the #1 guy, our inside running game is uninspiring, maybe Ganaway, but he hasn't shown me he can protect Sam and IMO that NEEDS to be a consideration in the value of keeping SJ.

I thought we could win this game, I was comparing us to Az and Seattle ,I think the team that housed us yesterday would do the same to AZ and Seattle as well.
AZ beat them with replacement officials and I gotta wonder if replacement officials call ANY of the three PI calls Fletcher accumulated, BTW I AM NOT down on him, what he did was better than watching the track meet.

Here's something ,screw Clemmens, activate the rookie, and give him reps in practice, I was crest fallen when I saw Clemmens, NOT that I was against getting Sam out of the game, I thought they needed to get him out even sooner, we weren't going to come back and risking himwas senseless,but I wanted to see the rookie,I KNOW Clemmens has no real possibilities.

Plenty there to argue with. :tooth:

Angry Ram

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thordaddy said:
I dissent , there were times during the second half that I was certain they were wasting plays running.
Givens going out for what? three or so possessions really hurt, if you can't take the top off that defense you are in trouble cuz they are so fucking big in the middle. As the lead expanded they COULD blitz and did more and more.
If we had gotten that first three and out, no penalty and come back and built our OWN 14-0 lead, then the options come to US.

In the end though running on NE aint the way to beat them unless they are in fear of the big play and when they are ahead 28-7 they are willing to risk it.

They could bltiz, and the Rams didn't counter. It was basically the same types of pass plays over and over. Last night, Peyton Manning as great as he is, threw screens and quick passes and the WRs made the plays.

All I'm saying the O needs to open up the playbook more. Right now, I can name the play calls on my hand:

1. Run up the gut w/ SJack

2. Toss to Richardson

3. Out route

4. Deep shot to Givens

5. PA to Gibson

That's basically all I see w/ a few others thrown in.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Angry Ram said:
Thordaddy said:

They could bltiz, and the Rams didn't counter. It was basically the same types of pass plays over and over. Last night, Peyton Manning as great as he is, threw screens and quick passes and the WRs made the plays.

All I'm saying the O needs to open up the playbook more. Right now, I can name the play calls on my hand:

1. Run up the gut w/ SJack

2. Toss to Richardson

3. Out route

4. Deep shot to Givens

5. PA to Gibson

That's basically all I see w/ a few others thrown in.

Well maybe we aren't talking about the same things.

And maybe DA being out was the "noticable difference", gotta think Givens going out for the time he was hurt too.

I share some of your consternation, we run the ball to the 20 and THEN we start throwing last week against GB.
Ardunno, just sayin' we had to do sumpin different than we did, Da could have helped beat that blitz you talk about,but JMO the Pats were the team people have been wondering where they were yesterday, they played like we did in the GSOT days, and BTW broke a GSOT record yesterday.
Right now we are a plowhorse in a race with thoroughbreds when we play elite offences like the last two.
I'll bet a beer we represent against San Fran, a beer I tell ya.