I believe in Keenum! Too early to judge Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys blame Keenum for the poor offensive stats in the SF game last year. Remember, he doesn't call his own plays. The poor stats are the result of ultra conservative play calling by the coaching staff. How many passes did Keenum miss? How many int's did he throw? No, the stats are a result of the coaching and not Keenum. Keenum can light it up if the coaches open it up for him.

i still cant forget the replay showing benny cunningham jumping up and down wildly to the left side while Keenum was busy throwing a very short pass into the dirt near a well covered receiver in the 4th quarter. he didnt , (the whole team) look good that day. very sad. yes, the play calling is sad, but Keenum will be nothing more than an average QB at best, even with Gurley churning up the yards. he's a "safe" QB. he tries to limit mistakes, which also limits big play capability/opportunity. he'll watch the ship while Goff is in his quarters getting ready to captain the boat at a TBD point in the future.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Texans were a mess of a team when he took over the first time. He looked good when he had time to throw the ball. As for college vs Goff, check the NCAA record books.

As for college, check the NFL Drafts. If he had showed more than a #1 overall pick, he would have been drafted...somewhere.

He's also ahead of Andrew Luck in the record books. Peyton Manning too. Jameis Winston as well. Did he show more than those guys?

You said he showed it with the Texans. He didn't. He's a NFL QB. I hope he looks good when he has time to throw the ball. That's not what separates the wheat from the chaff at this level.

maddogmrb

UDFA
Name
maddogmrb
Yup. Keenum threw a lot more INT than Goff. Good point

Okay, let's look at their college stats:
JG int's = 30.
CK int's = 46
JG TD's = 96
CK TD's = 155
JG TD to Int rate = 3.2
CK TD to Int rate = 3.4
JG completion % = 62.3
CK completion % = 69.4
JG yards per attempt = 7.8
CK yards per attempt = 8.6
JG average yards per attempt = 8.1
CK average yards per attempt = 9.1
JG passing efficiency rating = 144.0
CK passing efficiency rating = 160.6

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jared-goff-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/case-keenum-1.html

maddogmrb

UDFA
Name
maddogmrb
Don't get me wrong, Goff has more arm strength than Case ... no doubt about it. He also has more arm strength than Staubach, Montana, Brees, Unitas, and so on. The point is that EVERY year there are QB's with great arm strength but never make it. Witness Ryan Mallett. In Texans camp last year everyone was talking about what a great arm Mallett has and how he can make throws the other QB's couldn't (sound familiar?). Where's Mallett today?

I hope Goff makes it big with the Rams and unseats Case from the starter spot, but he should have to earn it and not have it given to him because of his draft position. Goff seems like a really good guy and I hope he has much success. If he does unseat Case then that means the Rams will be that much better and Case will most likely be good trade bait next year. It would be great to see Case in a more open offense.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And Eli Manning is successful because they held him out?
Eli Manning situation is EXACTLY what we want to avoid.
They should have started Eli day 1 that year, they forced him in to the lineup and they were fortunate he didn't get killed.
What happened AFTER that season is irrelevant, what happened during is. The Giants started Warner over Eli for the same reasons (although Manning outplayed Warner in pre-season) and because of the play of the defense, they were winning games. Once they dropped to 5-4 that was enough of an excuse to put Manning in. It was a terrible situation. They lost 6 of their last 7 and what was once a promising season, ended up a train wreck
I cant believe ANY Ram fan would want THAT

what the hell?

nobody on that team wanted eli to start. when coughlin made the move the vets on the team weren't happy. they even came out public and asked why the coach gave up on the season.

funniest moment was when eli started crying after the ravens d embarrassed him for every second he was on the field until coughlin took his arse out of there. he was so pitiful the ravens players helped him from the field. how awful do you have to be for that to happen? once kurt got in there the giants drove down the field with ease for a couple of tds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JG int's = 30.
CK int's = 46
JG TD's = 96
CK TD's = 155
JG TD to Int rate = 3.2
CK TD to Int rate = 3.4
JG completion % = 62.3
CK completion % = 69.4

No wonder Case Keenum went #1 overall.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whoa ho-ho @So Ram ......Naw man, you're NOT the only one....in fact, down by a score, didn't everyone notice the feeling that, well, the game is over...If anything Kurt & Bulger showed me, it's that despite inadequacies & deficiencies, our offense could overcome almost anything...esp. their own mistakes....I miss that feeling...I felt it a little in the preseason game one, when Mannion went through those 3rd teamers...in fact, watching SPRUCE in there, reminded me of a ricky prohel/danny A type player...and I definitely wanted him on the team...(the injury has me feeling a lil DX-ish now:() but still....
Goff should start...that's the fastest way to get this kid up to speed...You guys probably never saw Jim Everett...Dieter Brock...rookies...Pat Haden...Vince Ferragamo...I think they all played & started as rookies (well, probably not Vince, but it makes my argument stronger:yess:) His passes are different for a reason...The pass to cooper was...just..pure Dan Marino-ish....into the teeth of the defense....the dimes to Thomas...that throw to Duke...if you can't see the talent, and ready to live with the bad stuff, don't know what to tell you...:giveup:
Personally, it's all about the playoffs..you're not really getting better unless you're getting into the postseason...

Truth of the matter time will tell. I believe in Case Keenum as well as Jarred Goff. I think The Rams are in a great situation. My hope is Case plays his butt off & The Rams have extra value in QB market.

Talk about all the Rams QB's I was
a James Harris fan. Was mad they traded him. He had a good year with Chargers.

In a way Case Keenum reminds me of Drew Bree's. (Yeah lol) It took him a while & Philip Rivers was a rookie who did not start & was like a number 4 pick over all. They also had Doug Flutie as well.
The Chargers out Brees for no reason. They lost all rights to Drew Bree's value wise. How do you franchise a QB with a bad arm. The rest is history .

The Rams have Gurley like Chargers having Tomlison. This is my crazy view of it. People can say what they want. I see value in Case Keenum,Jared Goff,& even Sean Mannion. In all my years as a Rams fan I've never seen a stable like this.
-- Tonight The Rams play Minnesota Vikings. There starter is Sean Hill. Last time I saw him throw a pass to Kenny Britt that was a INT in San Diego .

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So you're saying that Eli was a success because he rode the pine for 7 games.
Not surprising you don't understand my logic then...

Never did I say that. I said, "he wasn't ready, so he sat". And that was one of the Mannings, (with the pedigree and as some fans and media types believe, one of God's Gifts to the NFL) under Tom Coughlin, sure to be a HOF head coach some day. I said, there's something to be said for a kid sitting early and learning the playbook juuuuust a little bit better before he's thrown to the wolves.

But here's the logic I don't follow.

On one hand you say (the 2004 Giants in week 11) "they forced him into the lineup and they're lucky he didn't get killed" but you wanted Fisher to start Goff from day 1.

Then when I say, "well look at what happened with Eli. He didn't play until week 11 and the next year the Giants made the postseason with Eli as the starter". And you say, "what happened AFTER is irrelevant"! I disagree. You are arguing that Goff should start, should take his lumps all year while the Rams bite the bullet in 2016, record wise, so he can be the real QB we need in 2017. So what happens AFTER seems to matter a whole lot to you. (I'm assuming you think that has to happen over a FULL season. If he starts 8 games or 10 it won't be enough.) Again, I disagree. I do agree I want him in there ASAP but if he's not ready and he's going to get killed in week 1 or 2, then sit him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
JG int's = 30.
CK int's = 46
JG TD's = 96
CK TD's = 155
JG TD to Int rate = 3.2
CK TD to Int rate = 3.4
JG completion % = 62.3
CK completion % = 69.4

Jared Goff-1st overall pick in the draft
Case Keenum- undrafted

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've changed my mind. Leave Goff on the bench until we get a coach that knows offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well did you get your fill of Jared Goff today ? Will see what Case Keenum has
will bring in 10 days.

I know what Keenum has. Let him bring it all year long. Then Fisher can go after another 7-9 season.

Athos

Legend
Well did you get your fill of Jared Goff today ? Will see what Case Keenum has
will bring in 10 days.

165 yards a game and a TD every other game. Sounds about right. Thank Gondi have no more emotional investment in this team.

I just feel sorry Goff has a wanker for a HC that doesn't know ass from head when it comes to offense.

Fisher is a dinosaur that needs to be out to pasture.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That is his job. He's the QB. His job is to produce passing yards and TDs. If he can't do that, he should be riding the bench.

No, his job is to help the team win. And he has in the past.

That's the problem. The biggest positive he brings is his ability to avoid mistakes, not his ability to put the ball in the end-zone.

How in the hell is that a problem?!

No, he doesn't. You're simply trading points for turnovers. If Keenum is giving us bottom 5 QB play, he's not keeping things steady. Keenum not turning it over doesn't change that if he's also not putting the ball in the end-zone.

You seem obsessed with the fact Case can't score. When this past season, he has (and as a rookie UDFA in Houston). Again, I don't know why this is so damn difficult for you to understand. No one is expecting him to light up the score board. He's a stop gap. A good stop gap.

That's dead wrong. There are certainly QBs in this league that will win you games when the defense, running game, or special teams have off days. It happens all the time. In fact, over half the teams in the NFL have QBs capable of doing that.

Oh c'mon now. Are you that hardheaded to not acknowledge that it's a team game? There are examples showing any opinion. Football is the ultimate team game. Yes, you are right that there are some QBs that can overcome that, and there are others that can't (i.e., Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, etc).

I don't agree.

Do you ever?

You seem to prefer playing not to lose. I prefer playing to win. Goff will make more mistakes. He'll also make more positive plays. I'll trade turnovers for points. The GSOT had no issues doing the same.

Way to put words in my mouth. Playing Case Keenum NOW is the better chance to win NOW. I want to fucking win NOW AND the future. Is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

If I am the only one that believes it's a problem, this fan-base has a problem. I have a hard time believing that I'm the only one who thinks it's a problem that the rest of the team has to play outstanding football in order for us to win with Keenum.

If the rest of the team plays outstanding, that's a damn good thing!! Show of hands, who thinks if the rest of the teams plays well, and wins, and Case Keenum plays well as a result, that's a problem? Good lord man, try to see the whole picture.

They drafted Goff to be the QB of the present and future. That's why they took him #1.

Yeah, no shit here as well. He's not ready right now. Clearly.

I doubt it's only me.

I'm pretty sure.

In fact, I know many others who share the same opinion.

Good for you.

I'm not the only one pissed with how this was handled.

You're pissed b/c the team went against your wishes of starting Jared Goff. A team that sees him everyday since April.

It's definitely not bullcrap. Gabbert arguably outplayed Keenum last year (which isn't encouraging)

And lost more games as starting QB than Case Keenum.

Dallas fans wouldn't trade Dak for Keenum.

Who the fuck said that? I asked what if Dak gets hurt?

Minnesota is the only one of those teams who would be okay with Keenum as their starter.

Exactly. Teddy got hurt, they are hoping Shaun freakin Hill plays well. And if he gets hurt? Oh boy.

That's why the Rams' QB situation suddenly feels great. Case Keenum is perfect for who he is, Jared Goff the 1st pick that can develop, and Sean Mannion who has a year of experience. You refuse to acknowledge this as a positive, b/c you obsess over one ideology of staring Jared Goff no matter what.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I know what Keenum has. Let him bring it all year long. Then Fisher can go after another 7-9 season.

Have you seen the schedule ? Anyway it is a team sport . If The Rams stay healthy there is no way with the talent they have will they go 7-9 with Case Keenum .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have you seen the schedule ? Anyway it is a team sport . If The Rams stay healthy there is no way with the talent they have will they go 7-9 with Case Keenum .

I have. Knowing Keenum's limitations, this team will need a lot of luck to win more than 7-8 games.

If the rest of the team plays outstanding, that's a damn good thing!! Show of hands, who thinks if the rest of the teams plays well, and wins, and Case Keenum plays well as a result, that's a problem? Good lord man, try to see the whole picture.

Ironic.

That's why the Rams' QB situation suddenly feels great. Case Keenum is perfect for who he is, Jared Goff the 1st pick that can develop, and Sean Mannion who has a year of experience. You refuse to acknowledge this as a positive, b/c you obsess over one ideology of staring Jared Goff no matter what.

The Rams QB situation suddenly feels great because we only have the 29th best starting QB in the NFL instead of the 32nd? Eh.

I refuse to acknowledge this as a positive because it is depressing. But I've accepted it. I just hope that Fisher is fired before he can do too much damage to Goff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
165 yards a game and a TD every other game. Sounds about right. Thank Gondi have no more emotional investment in this team.

I just feel sorry Goff has a wanker for a HC that doesn't know ass from head when it comes to offense.

Fisher is a dinosaur that needs to be out to pasture.

I feel sorry 4 Ram fans that quit on them. This train has circled back home & on track for a Super Bowl.

I'd say Gurley,Donaldson,Quinn , Ogletree , Robinson, & Havenstein could be All Pros in the next year or too

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel sorry 4 Ram fans that quit on them. This train has circled back home & on track for a Super Bowl.

I'd say Gurley,Donaldson,Quinn , Ogletree , Robinson, & Havenstein could be All Pros in the next year or too

Once Jeff Fisher is gone, I agree.