I agree with Jim Thomas on why we are failing

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I agree with both of you.

To be fair tho, when Fletcher, Scott, Smith, and Mike H. didnt have the injury prone tag till this year.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RealRamsFan said:
Good thing the organization probably are well aware of these issues and can move towards correcting them for the 2012 season
That's the $64M question, isn't it.

I have not seen anything YET to give me confidence that all is seen and all will be satisfactorily addressed in this offseason. Besides, there doesn't seem to be a lot of options for a franchise that is in this much trouble.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RealRamsFan said:
libertadrocks said:
I agree with both of you.

To be fair tho, when Fletcher, Scott, Smith, and Mike H. didnt have the injury prone tag till this year.

Fletcher has had career threatening knee injuries
Mike H. had a long injury history In college and last year
Smith had reoccurring head injuries last year ....same thing that sidelined him this year
Scott had reoccurring head issues last year ....same thing that sidelined him this year

Very unfortunate but true

Right, but having multiple injuries during one year doesnt buy you the injury prone tag. Thats accrued over multiple seasons. All of them really caught the injury bug last year. Hoomanawanui was banged up in college but it wasnt anything extraordinary(that would raise a red flag)

Anonymous

JIm Thomas didn't say "failing." "Failing" implies a structural problem that goes beyond one year.

Here's the question he answered:

am wondering as to your opinion as to the biggest, single thing you'd point to as the reason the Rams have been so disappointing this year?

Disappointing. Not "failing." THIS YEAR. Not the entire regime and for always.

And everything he lists is correctable. It's not like he said "lost the team" or "can't coach at all" or 3 years of completely bad drafting" or anything that WOULD indicate an incurable, structural level problem.

#1 is even a kind of joke, really. The team began with next to nothing in 2009. If you think it is possible to get everything else AND playmakers in 3 years, name an example of a team that built from next to nothing in a 3 year time span.

If you need virtually everything, you won't get it all in 3 years.

Orfordram

UDFA
ljramsfan said:
Number 3 is why I think Spags will be gone.

That and number 4. For example, we have had problems keeping TE's on the field, and there sits Ben Guidugli, on the PS, after looking so good in the pre-season. Everyone says "yeah, but we didn't have OTA's etc." - but all the other teams in the league were in the same position, and look at - for example - the Browns, with everything on Shurmur's shoulders, a rookie QB, and they just about beat Pittsburgh last night. It seems the more we try to move bodies around, the worse we get. Five QB's right now, when holding on to one (Thaddeus Lewis) in the pre season would have done us just great. Got to question someone's judgment!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
zn said:
JIm Thomas didn't say "failing." "Failing" implies a structural problem that goes beyond one year.

Here's the question he answered:

am wondering as to your opinion as to the biggest, single thing you'd point to as the reason the Rams have been so disappointing this year?

Disappointing. Not "failing." THIS YEAR. Not the entire regime and for always.

And everything he lists is correctable. It's not like he said "lost the team" or "can't coach at all" or 3 years of completely bad drafting" or anything that WOULD indicate an incurable, structural level problem.

#1 is even a kind of joke, really. The team began with next to nothing in 2009. If you think it is possible to get everything else AND playmakers in 3 years, name an example of a team that built from next to nothing in a 3 year time span.

If you need virtually everything, you won't get it all in 3 years.
First, "correctable" does not necessarily mean that it will be corrected. The question becomes, what confidence does one have that the issues will be identified and corrected. And given what I hear Spags say in press conferences, I'm waivering here.

Second, I view point #1 ["Failure to get enough playmakers."] and point #4 ["Personnel decisions, in terms of who to play and who to keep on the roster."] as almost the same issue. Roster decisions have continued to confuse many, and again, I'm not so certain Spags sees this as any issue. While many simply pass this off as not having the level of expertise as Spags & Co., it's certainly shown itself to be a continual issue in game performances, which we've all witnessed.