Hypothetical....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
we don't make the Goff trade last year....we're sitting at 5 and still need a QB....

Who we taking?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
we don't make the Goff trade last year....we're sitting at 5 and still need a QB....

Who we taking?

Who would we have drafted with all the picks we gave up last year? We had a first and two seconds.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I suspect you would have hired McDaniels and traded for Garoppolo. Use #5 on a corner or a pass-rushing DE (or maybe a LT), trade your 2 this year and 2 next year for a guy who should be ready to start and who is up to NFL speed and familiar with your new HC's playbook.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I suspect you would have hired McDaniels and traded for Garoppolo.

What is with the Patriots' faithful and their Garoppolo worship? He's just a guy at QB, and is not going to be some next great QB they all think he will be. Backup talent, and if some team does trade for him it will go similarly to the trade of Cassel.

Who we taking?

Well the Browns are at the top and are desperate for a QB. 49ers draft second and are desperate for a QB. Chicago drafts third and are desperate for a QB. And so on, but then you also only have maybe two guys who could end up in that range in Trubitsky and Watson. Doubt anyone up high would take Kizer but with QBs you never know.

I think the Rams would be screwed. Which is why, on top of the fact that I expect great things from Goff, a few years from now that trade for him will look good for the Rams.

It's also why last year all seven head coaching positions were filled by offensive guys. Teams need an edge drafting and developing signal callers.

RambleOn

UDFA
I still wonder what would have happened if Sammy was never traded.... I can tell you this, I wouldn't have had to get rid of all my fathead stuff.
Sam.jpg

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
What is with the Patriots' faithful and their Garoppolo worship? He's just a guy at QB, and is not going to be some next great QB they all think he will be. Backup talent, and if some team does trade for him it will go similarly to the trade of Cassel.
Cassel was a 6th-round pick who came out of nowhere. Garoppolo was drafted in the 2nd and groomed to be the heir apparent to Brady. It's not his fault Brady seems like he's going to play until he's 60.

Besides, someone's likely going to hire Josh McDaniels, and he's going to want a QB who knows his system. Belichick may be evil, but he's not stupid.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cassel was a 6th-round pick who came out of nowhere. Garoppolo was drafted in the 2nd and groomed to be the heir apparent to Brady. It's not his fault Brady seems like he's going to play until he's 60.

Your logic is out of whack here. If Belichick sees Garoppolo as heir apparent to Brady there is no way they'd trade him. But Belichick probably will trade him to some dumb team, and draft another "heir apparent" somewhere in the draft that the east coast media builds up just like they did Garoppolo.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Your logic is out of whack here. If Belichick sees Garoppolo as heir apparent to Brady there is no way they'd trade him. But Belichick probably will trade him to some dumb team, and draft another "heir apparent" somewhere in the draft that the east coast media builds up just like they did Garoppolo.
Could be, but it seems to me that Brady's contract runs through 2019, and he just put up a MVP-caliber year. Logically, you wouldn't expect him to retire after 2017, when Garoppolo's rookie deal is up, and in a league where Brock Osweiler gets $72 million, the Patriots know they won't be able to sign Garoppolo to anything resembling an acceptable backup contract.

Belichick being willing to trade him doesn't mean he's not good, there's just no way they pick Garoppolo over Brady in the near term and no way they can sign him for the long term.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Could be, but it seems to me that Brady's contract runs through 2019, and he just put up a MVP-caliber year. Logically, you wouldn't expect him to retire after 2017, when Garoppolo's rookie deal is up, and in a league where Brock Osweiler gets $72 million, the Patriots know they won't be able to sign Garoppolo to anything resembling an acceptable backup contract.

Belichick being willing to trade him doesn't mean he's not good, there's just no way they pick Garoppolo over Brady in the near term and no way they can sign him for the long term.

You make some good points. And tbh I'm not going to act like I know what BB is thinking. But I will say that all the hoopla about Brady playing for 5+ more years is probably not going to be the way things turn out. QBs tend to hit the end of that rope quickly once they do, and even a guy like Brady, who seems to be an outlier, is still on borrowed time with 40 approaching.

So my take is that IF Belichick thinks Garoppolo is that QB of the future why not trade Brady for the good of the franchise and get big returns while he builds around the younger guy. That type of tough decision has been his MO and I don't see why it would be any different even with the greatest QB to play the game. IMO that won't happen because Garoppolo isn't good enough and everyone knows it, so the translation for me is he's probably not really the heir apparent.

And obviously we're just spitballin here btw. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that dude's office when they're talkin future at that position this offseason.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You make some good points. And tbh I'm not going to act like I know what BB is thinking. But I will say that all the hoopla about Brady playing for 5+ more years is probably not going to be the way things turn out. QBs tend to hit the end of that rope quickly once they do, and even a guy like Brady, who seems to be an outlier, is still on borrowed time with 40 approaching.

So my take is that IF Belichick thinks Garoppolo is that QB of the future why not trade Brady for the good of the franchise and get big returns while he builds around the younger guy. That type of tough decision has been his MO and I don't see why it would be any different even with the greatest QB to play the game. IMO that won't happen because Garoppolo isn't good enough and everyone knows it, so the translation for me is he's probably not really the heir apparent.

And obviously we're just spitballin here btw. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that dude's office when they're talkin future at that position this offseason.
Agreed on several counts. There's a part of me that hopes Brady gets a fifth ring and decides to ride off into the sunset, opening the door for Garoppolo to start in 2017 and beyond. After seeing the difference between age 38 Manning and age 39, I am quite concerned about Brady dropping off at any given point, no matter how 'pliable' Gruden thinks he is.

As much as Belichick has a history of trading away star players he thinks he can replace cheaper and for the longer run, I think Brady may be that one case where sentimentality enters into the heart of the robot. Plus, Brady's dead cap hit would be $27 million in 2017. Unless he retires, I don't think there's any possible way the Patriots don't have him as their starting QB throughout at least the next 2 years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In response to the OP, it remains to be seen who will be available
If Trubisky declares, he will be 1st pick, Ohio kid and all. Had San Fran not fired Kelly I would have thought Deshone Kizer had a chance to go #2.
But Kizer isn't worth a 1st rounder IMO