Hypothetical: The Rams Didn't Draft Your Guy

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
OK, so we seem to agree that the realistic possibilities for the the Rams' first pick are:
  • One of the big name OTs (Robinson or Matthews)
  • Watkins (or outside chance of another WR)
  • Clowney
  • Outside chance of one of the OLBs (Mack or Barr)
  • Way outside chance of trading out of the top 10 completely and stockpiling picks.
Eliminate your guy from this list, and tell us how you would react to one of those people being drafted.

Here's mine:

One of the big name OTs: Obviously either Snisher disagreed with my idea that you would only pick someone who is going to be a LT right away with a pick like this, Long is being move to RT, or they decided to get BPA regardless of need and decided it was an OT. If it does turn the OL into the juggernaut some are predicting it will, I'll be cautiously optimistic and hoping I'm forced to admit I was wrong.

Clowney: This pick would definitely be a BPA thing as we have two 1st round DEs. Even though this Long has played as many years as the last Long, I don't think Chris has ever been injured. It would be interesting to see what Williams would do with the extra toy as I don't see Long getting cut/traded, and people will buy Quinn a house in St. Louis before letting him leave. I will hope that Clowney's red flags come to naught.

OLB: It'd be an interesting pick because I would wonder what we would do in nickel situations, but that would make for a great LB corps.

Trading out of the top 10: With how deep some say this draft is, as exciting as one of those blue chippers would be, the smartest move might be to trade down and stockpile picks. We could fill multiple needs with 1st and 2nd round picks, and possibly pick up extra draft picks for next year. Next year, we MIGHT need a LT if we don't get one here, and we MIGHT need a QB.

Like others have said, assuming whoever we pick doesn't completely bust out (which is possible for ANYONE), it's really a no-lose scenario.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eliminated: Clowney

One of the big name OTs: I'll be tickled pink. Yea, we didn't get the 2nd best talent in the draft but I like both of these players and want to see our OL be a dominant unit. I'll be hoping for Matthews though.

Watkins: I won't complain unless it's at #2. Then I'll be upset. Talented kid that'll help our offense but I think an OL would have a greater impact and I don't think he's a AJ Green, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, etc. type prospect.

OLB: I'll be very mad if we take Barr. I think he's a poor scheme fit for us and doesn't play with enough strength. Barr, I'll be ok with him. Could be a real X Factor on our defense with his ability to defeat blockers, drop into coverage, rush the passer from the DE spot and blitz from LB.

Trading out of the top 10: I don't think this would be a smart move. Take one of the elite talents in this draft. But I won't complain if we get a lot of compensation to do it and come away with some talented players...like Aaron Donald, Mike Evans, Jason Verrett, David Yankey, Zack Martin, etc.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Let me begin by saying that my guy is to trade down as much as possible. We need a guard (or two, depending on Saffold) and a safety; I'd be targeting Yankey and Clinton-Dix in the second half of round one or Su'a-Filo and Joyner in round two. I'd also try to get a 2015 first rounder in any trade, so that we can draft a real playmaker such as Gurley, Cooper or Green-Beckham.

I really wouldn't be happy if we drafted at #2 this year but if we did:

Clowney: would be my preference if we have to stay at #2. Can ease into the team this year and fully replace Chris Long eventually. Opposing QBs would get no rest at all with our stellar DE rotation.

OT: not as much of a need as guard. I wouldn't be too despondent, though, as Robinson or Matthews could play inside for a year or two before replacing Jake Long.

Watkins: Like the player but not worth the #2 pick. I'd give the current receiving corps another year to mature and then go for Cooper or DGB next year if necessary.

OLB: not a need in the first round. I'd throw my laptop out of the window if we selected Barr or Mack at #2.

Well my guy is the trade down trade up duo of Watkins and Robinson, if we didn't do that I'd be flaming mad stop supporting the team and never watch a game of football ever again...either that or recognise that there's a chance that Fisher and Snead could know more than me.

jjab360

Legend
I'm just going to assume we trade down to 4 overall, QBs go 1,2,3, we have our pick of the litter.

Eliminate Robinson he's the guy I want the most right now.
Matthews: We just got a heck of a player. Not going to dominate many people physically or be a huge asset for the run game, but has elite technique and feet, elite pass protector. Prefer Robinson but it is what it is.
Clowney: Taking a chance here, but this guy is a superfreak. Him and Quinn playing opposite each other one day is scary, but we have to figure out how we're going to get him on the field right now. If this happens, I'm going to assume Rams find red flags to be unfounded since we took him over the two safer picks at OT.
Watkins: A bit disappointed, I don't think he's on the same tier as those 3 linemen. He's going to be a good WR, and that's the guy that gets the most publicity, but you don't pass on Joe Thomas/Julius Peppers for Roddy White.
Mack or Barr: Wtf is going on right now. I hope the Rams have some huge super secret plan on how to use this guy that'll set the league on fire, because you just passed on 3-4 franchise players for a situational pass rusher.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Can't say that I have "a guy," but I like Clowney, Mack, & Robinson the most so I'll eliminate them.

Matthews: No problem via a trade down. Wouldn't take him #2 overall.

Watkins: Like the player, but I'm just not a fan of using a top 10 selection on a WR who I don't rank as high as Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, or A.J. Green. And especially not in one of the deeper WR draft classes in years.

Barr: Don't even understand how anyone even considers him an option.

Trade out of top 10: Depends upon the compensation.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Punt. Or eliminate Clowney. I can't help it. I would love to see a D-line that would scare the shit out of all who come to play.

Seriously, this is not even close to hypothetical. I think Tavon was the only #1 I've ever been right about when I had him going to us. So you can just figure that I'll be wrong. Maybe that means I should pick Watkins being that I want either Robinson or Mathews because I also don't think they will take Clowney. Watkins it is.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'll eliminate Watkins and say we take a T.

I'd be excited. Robinson or Mathews could play LG assuming Saffold is back. Our running game would do for Sam what it does for Wilson/Cap, maybe more. Bradford is a better pocket passer then those two.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm gonna be a rebel and break the rules.

I do not care who they take. I know whatever player they pick will have the potential to be really, really good. I don't understand why people get so defensive with the idea of some other player being taken over "their guy."

I mean c'mon...look at the players we can be getting: Jake Matthews, Greg Robinson, Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Jadeveon Clowney....and that's just w/ the 2nd pick w/ no trading down! I can't fathom people being disappointed from one of these guys being taken.

Every year it's the same thing during draft season. Red flag this, 40 time that. It gets annoying, especially when you got Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper screaming and overanalzying everything.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who ever they draft then that's the guy. Like it or not he gets our support.
That should go without saying for anyone here I would hope.

Back in 2010, I favored drafting Suh because I was afraid we didn't have the support that any QB would need. (I still shudder to think about Bradford's rookie season had Saffold not fallen to us in the 2nd and we had Alex freaking Barron as LT in Sam's rookie year.) We drafted Bradford instead. Once that happened, it meant Suh wasn't a Ram, nor was he likely to ever be a Ram, and Bradford was, so I became a Bradford fan.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That should go without saying for anyone here I would hope.

Back in 2010, I favored drafting Suh because I was afraid we didn't have the support that any QB would need. (I still shudder to think about Bradford's rookie season had Saffold not fallen to us in the 2nd and we had Alex freaking Barron as LT in Sam's rookie year.) We drafted Bradford instead. Once that happened, it meant Suh wasn't a Ram, nor was he likely to ever be a Ram, and Bradford was, so I became a Bradford fan.

What else can you do? lot of the guys that's been drafted over the last 40 years I haven't liked. But I supported them all.