Hypothetical situation at 15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Smart NFL Org's avoid the highly expensive future team killing Draft Trade Up at all costs! Snead did one trade up that did not kill this team in 2013 but we need to recall we has already secured a good number of high picks from Washington so Snead could do something like that & not kill the future. Those collected picks are long gone.

Rams loose both our starting CB's in free agency & we be very happy to select one of the CB prospects like Mackensie Alexander & Vernon Hargreaves III. Or if the the same type of thing happens where Rams are stuck with Chris Long & loose both Hayes & Sims plus Quinn has set backs from his back surgery all of which is possible one of those DE prospects like Skaq Lawson or a Hayes clone like Jonathan Bullard or even a MLB Reggie Ragland to replace the released JL as a instant starter.

To avoid the QB issue is go get a UFA veteran starter like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Drew Stanton or even a Chase Daniel to manage this offense till Mannion is ready. No costly :mad: trade up in the first round! & reboot for a QB in the 2017 draft.

I agree that it would be unwise to gamble a ton of picks to move up - they do have the extra 2nd, which they could use to move up to around 8, and which I suspect they got with the idea that they might want to move up in the draft with it. If a QB they really like falls to around 8 or so, I could see pulling the trigger for him. I could even see including a future 3rd to move up to #6 - to jump over the 49ers. It would be kind of sweet to grab the QB that they want - and use the pick that their new HC traded to us from the Eagles last year to do so.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The reason I posed this question to all of you is because I see this scenario (all 3 QBs being gone at 15) as the worst possible for the Rams in round 1 IF they stand pat. I also think it is very likely, and I would put it as somewhere around a 95% chance. As @BonifayRam pointed out the likely "BPA" is going to be the DT and even worse that is a position Fisher loves taking high.

So my reasoning is that this exercise demonstrates that the Rams are going to need to move up. If they don't, it is likely the value on the board is on the defensive side of the ball and Fish will be more than willing to shoot himself in the foot by kicking off the 2016 draft with a defensive selection.

If that were to happen, things get really dicey in terms of when they will get their QB. Do they wait at their selections in round 2 for Cook and pray he slides to them? Do they then move back in to the latter first round and take Cook just in case, to ensure they get their QB?

The risk is crazy. Way I see it a trade up is unavoidable. That is the only way to ensure they get a high talent QB on this roster this offseason. I still think Fish and Snead move up, and on a related note that is why they will almost surely chase the top WRs in FA, because they're going to know there's a good chance they have to give up one of those second round picks in that move up.
I think you're right on, Merlin. Defense will be bpa after the qb's are gone. It's risky to think we will get one of the top 3 staying. Right now Cook does look like the 4th QB on the list. He may be the pick out of default.

I'm 100% on board with the QB in the 1st rnd. Nothing else is an option imo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Can't settle for the 4th best QB, besides Snead/Fisher are way to aggressive to let the draft slip away. Thx Snead for getting us a 2nd for Sammy!!! Extra chip to help fix the QB was there plan for this draft?!?!?

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
CFB 24/7

0ap3000000626601.jpg

LM Otero / Associated Press
The defense of Connor Cook's reputation began at the East-West Shrine Game.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Michigan State quarterback Connor Cook's evaluation as a draft prospect will include a close look not only at his physical skills but also into whether he's capable of being a locker room leader and a face-of-franchise player. An assortment of factors -- from MSU players choosing not to elect him captain, to questions about his love for the game, to his awkward television moment with Archie Griffin -- have put Cook in a challenging position entering the NFL Scouting Combine next month.

0ap2000000349792.jpg

Date: Saturday, Jan. 23
Time: 4 p.m. ET
TV: NFL Network

2016 NFL Draft coverage:
By the time Spartans linebacker Darien Harris was finished with the subject, however, Cook wasn't without a loud voice of support. While acknowledging the bias that comes with being a teammate, Harris went well beyond obligatory support in defending Cook's character.

"I don't buy any of that, one bit. I feel like, as he is my brother and he is family to me, it's kind of my obligation to try to kill some of that noise," Harris said. "Hopefully I can do that by getting people to understand from the inside of that locker room that we loved him and that he was the best quarterback in the country, no doubt about it.

"It's been a mystery to us, and it's really unfortunate. He's a great guy who comes from a great family. It's hurtful to me as well because he's part of our 2011 class that's been able to do so many special things at Michigan State. I know him, I know his parents well, his sister, I know everything about him. We talk all the time. For how close and tight-knit the team was, to me it's been kind of blasphemous, the amount of things that have been said about him."

There are perfunctory endorsements, and there are impassioned ones. This was the latter, and Harris didn't stop there. He also defended Cook specifically regarding a TV clip of Cook appearing brusque with Griffin, the two-time Heisman Trophy winner, in accepting the Big Ten Championship Game MVP trophy.

"He was caught in the moment. He whole-heartedly apologized. He understood how bad it looked. We didn't understand at first, then we saw the video and understood as well how bad it looked -- it looked pretty bad -- but he called him up personally, he apologized, and he didn't mean anything by it," Harris said. "I've known Connor for the last five years. He's humble. Not arrogant or cocky, he's extremely humble and blessed.

"I can't wait for him to get that (combine) opportunity. We know what the first questions are going to be, and he knows that. Once they see him face-to-face, once they hear his side of things, I think they will really change the opinion on him, and understand he is a franchise quarterback."

Harris, to be sure, won't be fueling the narrative on Cook when NFL scouts ask him about the quarterback in the coming months. He'll be trying to redefine it. And if other high-profile former Spartans like draft prospects Shilique Calhoun, Jack Allen, Jack Conklin and Aaron Burbridge do the same, the Spartans' locker room will be all but spoken for.

Here are eight other things we learned about the top quarterback prospects for the 2016 draft at the East-West Shrine Game practice week, plus some items from Thursday's practices:

2. Jared Goff vs. Paxton Lynch. UCLA LB Aaron Wallace is one of the few college defenders who faced both Memphis' Paxton Lynch and Cal's Jared Goff in his career. Pac-12 scheduling made the Goff matchup inevitable, but it took UCLA scheduling Memphis in 2014 to set up the Lynch battle.

"Lynch is such a big guy," Wallace said. "They were both great quarterbacks and both had a lot of presence in the pocket, but, the Memphis game was a lot closer."

The Bruins escaped Memphis, 42-35, in 2014 as Lynch threw for 305 yards without an interception. Last year, UCLA topped Cal, 40-24, in what was a strong performance for Goff, as well (32 of 53, 295 yards, three TDs).

2016 NFL DRAFT

Draft coverage:

Mock drafts:
3. Speaking of Goff ... Count Utah safety Tevin Carter as a Goff believer despite the disastrous night Goff had against the Utes in a 30-24 loss earlier this year. Utah intercepted Goff five times, but Carter merely chalked it up as an off day for a dynamic passer.

4. Christian Hackenberg, Penn State: For all the concern about the junior's production and accuracy this year, along with how his poise and footwork have been affected by frequent sacks, Nittany Lions TE Kyle Carter believes Hackenberg's toughness is being overlooked.

"I'm pretty sure he got sacked more than any quarterback the last few years, and he stayed healthy," Carter said. "He stood through that the whole time."

So, does Carter think Hackenberg will develop into a franchise NFL quarterback?

"I know so," he added. "I've seen him produce at a high level multiple times. You've just got to get him in the right offense with the right guy, and you'll see it."

5. Give it to Lynch. South Florida DB Jamie Byrd called Lynch the best quarterback he saw in two seasons at USF.

6. Wentz Watch. The only East-West Shrine player to have faced North Dakota State QB Carson Wentzwas Shrine West DE Tyrone Holmes, who played at Montana and against Wentz in 2015. Here was Holmes' assessment of one of the 2016 draft's elite prospects at the quarterback position: "He's tall, he's athletic, he can run, and he can make all the throws," Holmes said. "He's really tough to defend, because you can't just worry about him as a passer. He can run it. He's the best quarterback I saw in college, for sure."

7. Wait, what? South Carolina State DL Javon Hargrave, one of the top prospects practicing for the East-West Shrine Game, collected an incredible six sacks in a single game, as a junior against Bethune-Cookman.

8. Decompression. After some spirited hitting during the week, the East squad went through a lighter walk-through Thursday, but there was still some one-on-one drill work that had its moments. North Carolina State DB Juston Burris, for instance, with this alert pass breakup.

9. Injury update. Navy ATH Keenan Reynolds missed Thursday's practice with an undisclosed injury and it is unclear whether he will play in Saturday's game. Reynolds, who took part in the return game early in the week, ddid not participate in returns Wednesday. ... One of the game's top players, Utah State WR Hunter Sharp, won't play Saturday due to an injury, according to Shrine West coach June Jones.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.