Hypothetical situation at 15

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know a lot of people wonder why I like Connor Cook. These two plays offer good examples for why I think Cook is a first round talent:
View: https://gfycat.com/GreatAridBullmastiff

In this play, you see a 5 step drop where Cook starts out looking to the right side of the field. This is to hold the single high safety on the right hash. He then brings his eyes and body to the left, steps into his throw, and delivers the ball as his receiver is making his break. He leads his WR into a small window he created by holding the safety with his eyes during his drop. He delivers the ball absolutely perfectly so it's an easy catch by the WR and the defender cannot make a play on the ball. This play shows every attribute you look for in a great QB. He knows what the defense is doing pre-snap, uses his eyes to manipulate the coverage, throws with precise timing and anticipation, and delivers a perfect ball.

View: https://gfycat.com/SerenePiercingBluebottlejellyfish

What I like about this play so much is you see Nebraska bring a blitz and Michigan State's OL not pick it up well. The pocket around Cook is collapsing and if he doesn't step up, he's going to be sacked. But the problem is that his right guard has also been beat and the pocket is collapsing from the inside as well. Cook skillfully steps up in the pocket while getting skinny to avoid the DL that beat the RG, quickly resets, and delivers an accurate ball to the open WR in the hole in the zone to convert a 2nd and 24. The most impressive part of all this, he keeps his eyes up and looking down-field the entire time. This play shows off his poise under pressure, pocket movement/presence, and improved footwork.

And I know I only promised you two plays but I want to give you a third:
View: https://gfycat.com/PessimisticEmbellishedHawk

On this play, you see Cook run a play-action with a two man route combination. The crossing route by Burbridge and the post by the other WR. Nebraska has the post bracketed with the defender over the top and the player that missed the tackle on Burbridge after the catch underneath. Cook sells the play-action well enough to freeze the blitzing CB long enough for him to have time to allow Burbridge to clear the LB and give him a window. Cook stands tall knowing the CB is coming unblocked, he takes a hit, and delivers an accurate ball to Burbridge in the window. Here you see Cook's poise under pressure, understanding of coverages, and precise timing.

I understand that Cook is streaky. I understand that great QBs are consistent and Cook isn't. I recognize this will likely keep him from being a great NFL QB. At the same time, I also recognize that Cook has several attributes that project success at the next level. He may only be a Cutler level QB or he might become an Eli level QB. Regardless, Cook can improve. A lot of people fail to recognize the progression in his game. If you look at him in 2014, his footwork was a consistent problem. It definitely progressed in 2015. There are still issues that need polishing but he was far more consistent with it than he was in 2014. That tells me that he's working at it. If he continues to work at it and clean up his lower body mechanics, you should see a far more accurate QB. He's actually a good thrower when he's sound with his mechanics.

All of these plays were from one game, there are many plays like this from many other games. Cook has some bad film out there but the good thing about his offense is you got to see him do a lot of things he'll be asked to do in the NFL. And he can do those things well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont understand how Hogan name comes up. His release is terrible and will need to be worked out. So in effect, if you select him, he's a year or two away from competing for the starter spot. And IMO, if they are going to draft a QB in round 2, that means they would identify it as a need. If so, then they would have to move up to get one in the 1st.
IMO, they either draft one at 15, move up to get one earlier or you wont see a QB drafted, at least not until late

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
@jrry32 I am on the fence with Cook. The reason is that he makes some great plays and then at times he looks like a different QB. He is inconsistent. Maybe it is because he lacks targets this year. Burberidge was his only really good WR. But there are a lot of QBs that can look great in games and bad too in the same game.

However, if that scenario is that Goff, Wentz, and Lynch are all gone, then I would reluctantly pick Cook and hope that with more talent around him he could continue to develop. I would prefer him in the top of round 2 or at the end of round 1, but I know he wont last that long.

giphy.gif

People are drafting defense in round 1? It's like y'all have channeled your inner Fisher. Let's ignore the elephant in the room so we can stay mediocre. (n)

It is funny you mention the elephant in the room. I think there is one glaring position of weakness on the Rams defense that is in dire need of being fixed and that is MLB. That is the positiong keeping the defense from being top ten or better. However, I don't think Jaylon Smith is as good as everyone else does. I don't see the physicality in his game to shut down a running game. He reminds me a lot of James Laurinitis. Although I admit I need to look closer at him. I don't think Ragland is rangy or versatile enough either. I would kill for Navarro Bowman type talent at our MLB position. I just don't think it is there nor that the Rams will be able to land that type talent without top ten picks.

So if people believe in Smith and don't like the QBs I can see them taking a LB at 15

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am a solid NO on QB Conner Cook (n). Not in any of my discussions PERIOD! I really believe that QB Carson Wentz will be there for us @ #15.

But if this above scenario was to happen my selection would have to be A'Shawn Robinson DT for Bama 6-3 313 pounder. You do not lets a Top #10 DT slide on by @ #15.

Fisher went into the last game of the 2015 season without a NFL par third DT. The starting interior DL wore down & had break downs starting early in the 2nd quarter. Ethan Westbrook is not an NFL DT but a LDE. With the interior DL unable to keep OL'ers off JL & Barron we were gaped wide & big up the middle. Fairley will NOT be back. Louis Tricant-Pasat never saw the field in 2015 & is more of a speed DT. Michael Brockers will be a UFA this time next season.

Better make plans now to secure that middle DL since Fisher & Gregg are sure to go with JL as a starter in 2016. Disaster waits on the horizon if we do not have a three-headed monster defensive interior to protect the defense weak link @ MLB'er.

jjab360

Legend
It is funny you mention the elephant in the room. I think there is one glaring position of weakness on the Rams defense that is in dire need of being fixed and that is MLB. That is the positiong keeping the defense from being top ten or better. However, I don't think Jaylon Smith is as good as everyone else does. I don't see the physicality in his game to shut down a running game. He reminds me a lot of James Laurinitis. Although I admit I need to look closer at him. I don't think Ragland is rangy or versatile enough either. I would kill for Navarro Bowman type talent at our MLB position. I just don't think it is there nor that the Rams will be able to land that type talent without top ten picks.

So if people believe in Smith and don't like the QBs I can see them taking a LB at 15
Bowman was drafted in the third round. So was Chris Borland. You don't need a top ten pick to get that type of talent. ILBs rarely go in the top 10 in the modern draft era, anyway.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
TIL a DE will solve all our offenses problems and lead us to the playoffs!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
giphy.gif

People are drafting defense in round 1? It's like y'all have channeled your inner Fisher. Let's ignore the elephant in the room so we can stay mediocre. (n)

The 'elephant in the room' may be the 'desperation' shown by some.
Is Cook really BPA at 15 ? Is Fisher absolutely going to dismiss his expensive extended QB as easily as some of us might wish ? Is an extremely expensive oft injured declining starting LDE the answer with two other post 30's DE's on the roster as potential free agents ?

If I want another developmental caliber QB competing for a starting role with the Rams, I wait a couple more rounds. Just as soon see what we have in Mannion.

I'd rather not waste our 1'st round pick when the team is as close as I believe it is to taking its next step forward, and while i'll concede a quality QB is at the very top of our need list, I don't want to resort to squeezing square pegs into round holes. If we can't draft the right guy, trade for or purchase thru free agency a quality player, I don't reach when there are so many other positions which could be upgraded. I can wait a year if need be.

Fisher requires wins, several of them, and right away if he wants a contract extension. Doubtful another developmental QB fits his most immediate need.
One plus for our team has been the development of our young OL. Center is the only OL position in need of an immediate upgrade imo. Most fans are also in agreement about our need at WR, especially with Bailey's potential career ending injury, Quick's fall off since injury, and his and Welker's free agency status. The Rams may need 3 new WR's … and then there is the Cook situation at TE. The better unit by far is our defense, although questions going forward at DE, MLB and our many quality defensive players entering free agency are an immediate concern. No one is channeling Jeff Fisher when it comes to maintaining or improving our defense in a year where over-drafting a QB could set us back, a lot. A hammer at MLB and improved production at LDE doesn't completely make up for a QB, but when there may only be 'B' grade QB's available, improving an already good defense can still be the right decision.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Bowman was drafted in the third round. So was Chris Borland. You don't need a top ten pick to get that type of talent. ILBs rarely go in the top 10 in the modern draft era, anyway.

Keuchly and Mosely were first rounders So was Rey Lewis. I know Bobby Wagner was a second rounder but he is a notch below Kuechly and Mosley. The Niners got lucky with Bowman, he was a late bloomer. He was the third best LBer on the team when he was in college. Now he is the best. I would like to see the Rams get a Kuechly/Mosely level LBer. More than likely the Rams end up with another second round MLB similar to James Laurinitis. Maybe they end up with Wright and he is the answer. Due to injury he may drop a bit.

jjab360

Legend
The 'elephant in the room' may be the 'desperation' shown by some.
Is Cook really BPA at 15 ? Is Fisher absolutely going to dismiss his expensive extended QB as easily as some of us might wish ? Is an extremely expensive oft injured declining starting LDE the answer with two other post 30's DE's on the roster as potential free agents ?

If I want another developmental caliber QB competing for a starting role with the Rams, I wait a couple more rounds. Just as soon see what we have in Mannion.

I'd rather not waste our 1'st round pick when the team is as close as I believe it is to taking its next step forward, and while i'll concede a quality QB is at the very top of our need list, I don't want to resort to squeezing square pegs into round holes. If we can't draft the right guy, trade for or purchase thru free agency a quality player, I don't reach when there are so many other positions which could be upgraded. I can wait a year if need be.

Fisher requires wins, several of them, and right away if he wants a contract extension. Doubtful another developmental QB fits his most immediate need.
One plus for our team has been the development of our young OL. Center is the only OL position in need of an immediate upgrade imo. Most fans are also in agreement about our need at WR, especially with Bailey's potential career ending injury, Quick's fall off since injury, and his and Welker's free agency status. The Rams may need 3 new WR's … and then there is the Cook situation at TE. The better unit by far is our defense, although questions going forward at DE, MLB and our many quality defensive players entering free agency are an immediate concern. No one is channeling Jeff Fisher when it comes to maintaining or improving our defense in a year where over-drafting a QB could set us back, a lot. A hammer at MLB and improved production at LDE doesn't completely make up for a QB, but when there may only be 'B' grade QB's available, improving an already good defense can still be the right decision.
Call it desperation if you want to, everybody should be desperate at this point. Until we get a QB, this team is doomed to 7-9 purgatory, no matter how good our defense and running game gets.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Call it desperation if you want to, everybody should be desperate at this point. Until we get a QB, this team is doomed to 7-9 purgatory, no matter how good our defense and running game gets.

Teams with decent or even 'adequate' QB's have gotten to the play-offs before. Not saying that is ideal, but if the stars don't necessarily align this coming season for our QB of the future, we can still greatly improve the team while waiting a season for a potentially better choice. Our 2016 QB doesn't have to be our long-term plan, although he must be a big improvement on Foles. jmo.

Last edited:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I am a solid NO on QB Conner Cook (n). Not in any of my discussions PERIOD! I really believe that QB Carson Wentz will be there for us @ #15.

But if this above scenario was to happen my selection would have to be A'Shawn Robinson DT for Bama 6-3 313 pounder. You do not lets a Top #10 DT slide on by @ #15.

Fisher went into the last game of the 2015 season without a NFL par third DT. The starting interior DL wore down & had break downs starting early in the 2nd quarter. Ethan Westbrook is not an NFL DT but a LDE. With the interior DL unable to keep OL'ers off JL & Barron we were gaped wide & big up the middle. Fairley will NOT be back. Louis Tricant-Pasat never saw the field in 2015 & is more of a speed DT. Michael Brockers will be a UFA this time next season.

Better make plans now to secure that middle DL since Fisher & Gregg are sure to go with JL as a starter in 2016. Disaster waits on the horizon if we do not have a three-headed monster defensive interior to protect the defense weak link @ MLB'er.

Why not just address the MLB position by drafting one early, rather than compensating for our current one?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Teams with decent or even 'adequate' QB's have gotten to the play-offs before. Not saying that is ideal, but if the stars don't necessarily align this coming season for our QB of the future, we can still greatly improve the team while waiting a season for a potentially better choice. Our 2016 QB doesn't have to be our long-term plan, although he must be a big improvement on Foles. jmo.

If you're waiting for a potentially better choice next year, I have bad news for you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Our defense was top 10, though. Despite losing a number of our best players.(Ogletree, Quinn, Gaines, etc.)
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-offensive-points-per-game

The opportunity cost of grabbing a LB early is giving up a QB. And I don't think we can afford that.

I agree we need to upgrade at MLB. I think we can do that on Day 2.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Going into this season I was a big fan on Cook. But after watching him lock onto his 1st read every play vs. Bama was horrifying for me. Why is no one talking about this?

Isn't anyone worried about Goff slim figure to handle the weekly NFl pounding that awaits him?

I am in the camp of all in no matter the cost to land Wentz. I would love to land the 2.0 bortles but with a better football IQ and possibly better feet.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't care who the BPA is at 15. I care about winning.

What year ?

If Cousins isn't available, which he probably won't be, I'd go back to Bradford before gambling on Cook making us a winner next season. jmo.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I know a lot of people wonder why I like Connor Cook. These two plays offer good examples for why I think Cook is a first round talent:
View: https://gfycat.com/GreatAridBullmastiff

In this play, you see a 5 step drop where Cook starts out looking to the right side of the field. This is to hold the single high safety on the right hash. He then brings his eyes and body to the left, steps into his throw, and delivers the ball as his receiver is making his break. He leads his WR into a small window he created by holding the safety with his eyes during his drop. He delivers the ball absolutely perfectly so it's an easy catch by the WR and the defender cannot make a play on the ball. This play shows every attribute you look for in a great QB. He knows what the defense is doing pre-snap, uses his eyes to manipulate the coverage, throws with precise timing and anticipation, and delivers a perfect ball.

View: https://gfycat.com/SerenePiercingBluebottlejellyfish

What I like about this play so much is you see Nebraska bring a blitz and Michigan State's OL not pick it up well. The pocket around Cook is collapsing and if he doesn't step up, he's going to be sacked. But the problem is that his right guard has also been beat and the pocket is collapsing from the inside as well. Cook skillfully steps up in the pocket while getting skinny to avoid the DL that beat the RG, quickly resets, and delivers an accurate ball to the open WR in the hole in the zone to convert a 2nd and 24. The most impressive part of all this, he keeps his eyes up and looking down-field the entire time. This play shows off his poise under pressure, pocket movement/presence, and improved footwork.

And I know I only promised you two plays but I want to give you a third:

View: https://gfycat.com/PessimisticEmbellishedHawk

On this play, you see Cook run a play-action with a two man route combination. The crossing route by Burbridge and the post by the other WR. Nebraska has the post bracketed with the defender over the top and the player that missed the tackle on Burbridge after the catch underneath. Cook sells the play-action well enough to freeze the blitzing CB long enough for him to have time to allow Burbridge to clear the LB and give him a window. Cook stands tall knowing the CB is coming unblocked, he takes a hit, and delivers an accurate ball to Burbridge in the window. Here you see Cook's poise under pressure, understanding of coverages, and precise timing.

I understand that Cook is streaky. I understand that great QBs are consistent and Cook isn't. I recognize this will likely keep him from being a great NFL QB. At the same time, I also recognize that Cook has several attributes that project success at the next level. He may only be a Cutler level QB or he might become an Eli level QB. Regardless, Cook can improve. A lot of people fail to recognize the progression in his game. If you look at him in 2014, his footwork was a consistent problem. It definitely progressed in 2015. There are still issues that need polishing but he was far more consistent with it than he was in 2014. That tells me that he's working at it. If he continues to work at it and clean up his lower body mechanics, you should see a far more accurate QB. He's actually a good thrower when he's sound with his mechanics.

All of these plays were from one game, there are many plays like this from many other games. Cook has some bad film out there but the good thing about his offense is you got to see him do a lot of things he'll be asked to do in the NFL. And he can do those things well.

Cook looked horrible vs. Bama. He was locking onto his 1st read every dam play!!!

Its no good, talk to me goose