Huddle Report - NFC WEST Prevew

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
49ERS

Last year to reach the Super Bowl, Jim Harbaugh had to make one of the hardest decisions a coach has to make. He changed quarterbacks in the middle of the season in spite of the fact that, at that time, Alex Smith was having an excellent year. Harbaugh understood one thing when he made that decision. He understood that Alex Smith had good talent, but limited talent, and although I’m sure Jim didn’t think that Kaepernick was going to take the 49ers all the way to the 2013 Super Bowl, he knew to get to the Super Bowl eventually that Colin had to get on the field and mature or it would never happen. So he crossed his fingers and made the change and low and behold! Colin matured quicker than even Jim thought he could and the 49ers made it back to the Super bowl for the first time since 2002.

Offense – One of the reasons Harbaugh changed to Colin Kaepernick was not only because Alex Smith is limited athletically, but the offensive line has some seriously limited athletic talent also. Changing to Colin allowed the offensive line to go more to a spread offense (or bigger offensive line splits) because of Colin’s athletic ability in and out of the pocket. Not having to do max protection on passing plays allowed the 49ers to run more receivers down field also, adding a more impactful passing game into the offensive game plan mix. The offense with Alex was a two tight end, play action vertical offensive game plan, with max protection that did not allow for many receivers downfield. Colin is still learning and has more work to do. There are some question marks in this offense, but the offense is more of an attacking offense rather than one a defense can dictate to. Colin may think he is going to carry this team but the truth is he has to learn to deal with adversity on the field first, which may happen this year with a very young group of receivers that could test his patience and opponents who are learning his strengths and weaknesses.

Defense – What stands out about this defense is the mental toughness that goes along with their overall team speed. They do an excellent job playing as one; however, they missed DL Justin Smith terribly last year when he got injured and the DB’s struggled to be consistent. I don’t think most people understand Justin’s importance to this team’s defense. Without him there is no leader on the field — just a lot of talent.

Forecast – There are a lot of stumbling blocks that could keep the 49ers from getting back to the Super Bowl this year. Colin still has a lot to learn that his athletic talent masked last year but now teams have the film to see his weaknesses. The defense has to find more leaders. When Justin is off the field, this team struggles to be consistent. Also this division is tougher than it was last year, which may will be an issue for the young 49er players to deal with. Every team in the NFL will be playing their best game against the 49ers. Every team will be bringing it on every play. This will be a tough year, but I think this team has the coaching to repeat.

SEAHAWKS

Pete Carroll is the Bill Clinton of the NFL. He is able to do what he wants without criticism for his actions, because he is excellent at emotionally manipulating the fans, players and media. He is very smart and able to read people quickly. Pete runs a “game” on everyone. He reminds me of that guy at the carnival who runs the Knock Your Blocks Off game. You know the guy that yells, “Hey buddy, step right up, toss the ball and knock the pins off the table and win a prize”. Of course, knocking those pins off that table is very difficult because the pins have metal in them and the table is a magnet. Although it IS possible to knock those pins off the table, the chances that you will knock ALL of them off takes a perfect hit and not likely to happen. Pete has the same personality as the barker who goads unsuspecting guys into throw after throw, dollar after dollar, until the barker finally sets the pins up strategically and lets the guy win a stuffed animal that cost him $12.00 after he has taken the guy for $100.00 to win it. After the win, the barker, or Pete in this case, has no problem letting that guy walk away thinking that he beat him. The barker will even smile as the winner thanks him for a good time because, unbeknownst to the winner, the barker just made a date with his girl behind his back and will use the $100.00 he took from him to show her a good time. Just like that barker, Pete is smart and knows that as long as he keeps moving from town to town (or in this case from coaching job to coaching job) no one will be the wiser to his scam. Pete knows how to run this game on everyone and does it well.

Offense – Pete made a move last year to a rookie quarterback and after doing that, put in an offensive system that magnified his athletic talents. In typical carnie like fashion, Pete was able to get everyone to focus on the efficient season QB Russell Wilson had while hiding the fact that RB Marshawn Lynch was THE key to the success of this offense. When Marshawn went down, so did the Seahawks. The Seahawks were 27th in passing last year and 3rd in rushing. I bet most of you are shocked by those numbers. Russell Wilson was efficient and did a remarkable job as a rookie, but expecting him to carry this offense with his passing will be asking too much and Pete knows that. Russell needs that power running game or the Seahawks offense will struggle. If Russell Wilson is forced to start throwing thirty times a game the Seahawks will be in trouble.

Defense – The Seahawks defense carried this team last year but they struggle stopping the run and Pete knows it. The DB’s as a group have more talent than most teams have and the LB’s can fly around and make plays also but both are geared more to stopping the passing game and less to stopping the run. Pete needs run stuffers on the line to allow his DB’s and LB’s to fly to the ball. If he gets that this year the Seahawks will become a dominating defense instead of just an excellent defense.

Forecast – If the defense can play under control, stop committing all those penalties and learn to stop the run, than along with a power running game and Russell Wilson staying efficient the Seahawks can make it all the way to the Super Bowl — but that is a lot of if’s. I like Russell Wilson, but I recognize his limitations. He is smart and efficient and has excellent accuracy when he is out of the pocket, just like he was in college. I look for the Seahawks to have as good a year as last year, but if injuries in the running game start to pile up and Russell is expected to carry this team with the passing game, things could go downhill real fast.

RAMS

The Rams have improved tremendously under Jeff Fisher; if any team takes them for granted this year, it will be a tactical mistake on their part.

Offense – The Rams still struggle with consistency in the running game and offensive line. They added talent to the receiving group but that talent is young and still has to prove they can be consistent all season long.

Sam Bradford is underrated and the truth is, has carried the offense as far as he can and now it’s time for others to help out in spite of the fact that Sam is starting run the offense like Peyton Manning with a stronger arm. If Sam can get some help on offense, this offense is going to be very dangerous for the rest of the division. It’s not a stretch to think that this team can win two more games over what it did last year — not a stretch at all.

Defense – The biggest weakness of this defense for the last few years has been the speed and athleticism of the linebackers. In knowing that, they drafted athletic Alec Ogletree and he could wind up as Defensive Rookie of the year. He could be the key to this defense becoming an excellent defense along with the improving and potential dominating DT Michael Brockers. Let’s not forget Chris Long and James Laurinaitis who are slowly becoming the leaders of this defense. They have a good mix of veterans and young players on this defense and that mix looks to be ready to take the next step forward.

Forecast – The Rams have to stay injury free because they are still struggling with the lack of talented depth on this team. The drop off when a starting player gets injured is dramatic right now but it too is getting better. I like what Jeff Fisher has done with this team and I really like Sam Bradford because he has raised the level of play of his teammate through his own play, intelligence and football instincts. This team knows they can beat the top teams in this division and although I don’t feel this is a super bowl team just yet, I do feel that if things fall right for them injury wise, they could make it into the playoffs. I like the defense and the QB and if they get consistency on the offensive line than anything can happen.

CARDINALS

The Cardinals had a tough year last year and I’m not convinced this year will be much better. But things are looking up with a new coach and added talent from the draft. This new talent will excite the fans and give them hope and just might get them a few more wins.

Offense – There are two new QB’s in town and both of them fit the new offensive system. The problem is, the offensive line does not fit this new system, so keep your fingers crossed that both QB’s make it through the year. The excitement for this offense is going to come from the draft. Guard Johnathan Cooper has the potential to be a leader and the best offensive lineman on the team. The WR’s are excellent and if Stephan Taylor gets on to the field he won’t come off. But injuries will hurt this team and this is an offensive style that is prone to injuries at the skilled positions.

Defense – Once again there is very good talent on this team to defend against the passing game but the problem for years has been the ability to stop the run and get off the field. This team was 28th against the run last year. They have playmakers on defense and they will take the ball away and might wind up with a high take away ratio but stopping the run has to improve for the team to get more wins. They also need leaders on defense and until they find them the defense will not be a consistent defense.

Forecast – The Cardinals have a long way to go. They have talent on both sides of the ball but right now that talent doesn’t play as one. That doesn’t mean this year can’t be a turnaround year and get themselves above 500 and maybe even into the playoffs. When you look at the positions of QB, WR, DB, LB, and DL, you see the talent to compete with any team in the league. But every year you also see those same positions not play up to their talent, which, quite frankly, is disturbing. They have to find those players who will make the other players around them play with intensity on every play and for every game no matter if the team is winning or losing. That’s what this coaching staff has to do, change the culture of this team. Can it be done in one year? I’ve seen it happen.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
You know I really like what he says about Sam. I watched a lot of games this summer and Sam had to run for his life or throw the ball away a ton because no one could get open fast enough. Jmo but I see good things coming our way.