Hoyer named the starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
You would think a first round draft pick would be able to beat out journeyman like Hoyer. This is the right move though. Manziel isn't ready. He needs a year or two of seasoning. That's why I thought he was a third round prospect. He has some nice tools, but you have to play within the pocket with clean mechanics and good decision making to make it in the NFL. Outside of a few exceptions backyard football just doesn't work in the NFL. The best thing for Manziel is to let him develop parts of his game that really need it. He needs to stay focused. You don't get many shots at being an NFL QB. Partying can come later. If he works hard he has the skills to be a good QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is a recipe for disaster. If they start doing the whole "alternating QBs" thing during the rest of preseason and into the season, then nobody is gonna play well. I agree it's the right decision to go with Hoyer though. He played well for them last year. Let Johnny Moneyball sit on the bench and mature/learn while Hoyer plays and hope that Hoyer continues on from where he left off last year.

If Manziel is their long-term solution, then they should retool the offense *next year* to his strengths instead of trying to force him to be something he's not. And he's definitely not a pocket passer. Get a strong group of RBs, some good run-blocking O-lineman and receivers, and let JF do this thing. Give him half-field reads and the latitude to run whenever he feels like it, and they'll be good to go (until he gets laid out by a defender).

Irish

Starter
The QB is irrelevant there. If Josh Gordon gets a massive suspension, that team is toast.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Both QBs (and RGIII as well, for that matter) look horrible the other night.

Manziel, in particular, looked extremely uncomfortable. The transition from college to pros is significantly more difficult for him because he was rarely asked to play in a structured offense (huddles, snap from Center). He looked lost.

In my opinion, he is a rather large project that will take at least two years, maybe longer to determine if he can really play in the pros.

My guess? In three years, he'll either be out of football or so deep on some losing team's roster we'll never hear about him.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Makes sense Johnny football didnt overwhelm this preseason. The smart move is to start the vet and then when he falters you can bring in the rookie.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is the best thing to do especially with their schedule...Let Hoyer take the hits early then after they start out 0-3, it will be Johnny Football for better or for worse.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah... I see Hoyer starting a handful of games before they bring in Johnny Bird Flipper.

The factory of sadness will be clamoring for their savior big time by game 3 or 4.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is the best thing to do especially with their schedule...Let Hoyer take the hits early then after they start out 0-3, it will be Johnny Football for better or for worse.
Well said. Starting Hoyer is the smart football decision. Starting Manziel would the opposite.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It only makes sense to start Hoyer all season. Manziel has shown he is unprepared for this league and clearly has behavioral issues. Bench him 1. To let him learn, 2. To protect him from injury, and 3. To cool down is ego. Cleveland doesn't have the tools to beat out Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, or Baltimore if you ask me so no point in gambling on lousy odds.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Johnny's worried about Hoyer when he's been clearly outplayed by the 3rd string guy. Browns would have been better off starting Hoyer all year, preparing Shaw, and drafting someone who can help them in the 1st.