Howard Balzer on Steven Jackson Negotiations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
rit7n.png

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
http://howardbalzer.lockerdome.com/articles/104573207

Balzer: Rams Make Another Adjustment to Jackson's Contract
Monday, January 7, 2013

By: Howard Balzer

The Rams and running back Steven Jackson made an adjustment in his contract Dec. 29 that moves the final year of signing bonus proration of $1.899 million from 2013 to the current league year. The 2013 league year begins March 12.

In the previous Sept. 8 renegotiation, the final year of his contract at $7 million would void if he was on the Rams roster five days after the Feb. 3 Super Bowl.

The most recent maneuver removes any roster requirement for the possible void and provides Jackson with sole control of the void. That allows the acceleration of the proration.

However, there is no actual savings against the 2013 cap because unused cap space from 2012 carries over to the following year. Prior to the move with Jackson, the Rams had about $2.14 million in salary cap space.

For now, Jackson’s salary remains $7 million for 2013. He has said he expects the Rams and his agent to talk and hopefully come to terms on a new contract. The Rams likely want to reduce his salary and cap charge for 2013.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im sorry. I dont understand this maneuver.

So they sped up a roster bonus SJ would have received next year? But since he plans to void next year, that roster bonus would also be void, no?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
libertadrocks said:

So they sped up a roster bonus SJ would have received next year? But since he plans to void next year, that roster bonus would also be void, no?

Not exactly...essentially what this does is the bonus counts against the cap for THIS year...meaning if Jackson decides to stay with his current deal the cap hit is less...it also makes it to where only HE has incentive to void the deal, rather than giving the Rams incentive to void it BEFORE a certain date. At least, that is what my understanding is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sum1BTRthnU said:
libertadrocks said:

Not exactly...essentially what this does is the bonus counts against the cap for THIS year...meaning if Jackson decides to stay with his current deal the cap hit is less...it also makes it to where only HE has incentive to void the deal, rather than giving the Rams incentive to void it BEFORE a certain date. At least, that is what my understanding is.

Yeah - that's what I got out of it too. It almost feels like a reward for SJ saying all the right things. I could be wrong but I think they are going to step their way through this very carefully so they can get a deal done that rewards SJ, keeps him in horns, and does as little damage to the available cap space as possible. I know - duh. But these negotiations often DON'T go that way even though everyone says they want it to. In this case, I actually believe it to be so.

Again, maybe I'm off base but this just feels like a fan AND long time player friendly negotiation. Maybe they are simply trying to placate the fans and look like guys in white hats after all the fan base has been through. I sure hope that is not the case. SJ NEEDS to retire a Ram if it is at all possible to do so without stunting the growth of the team I think we all (including SJ) see.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
Sum1BTRthnU said:
libertadrocks said:

Yeah - that's what I got out of it too. It almost feels like a reward for SJ saying all the right things. I could be wrong but I think they are going to step their way through this very carefully so they can get a deal done that rewards SJ, keeps him in horns, and does as little damage to the available cap space as possible. I know - duh. But these negotiations often DON'T go that way even though everyone says they want it to. In this case, I actually believe it to be so.

Again, maybe I'm off base but this just feels like a fan AND long time player friendly negotiation. Maybe they are simply trying to placate the fans and look like guys in white hats after all the fan base has been through. I sure hope that is not the case. SJ NEEDS to retire a Ram if it is at all possible to do so without stunting the growth of the team I think we all (including SJ) see.

I could understand that POV. It just doesnt look like a shrewd business move because if SJ goes elsewhere in FA then the Rams basically paid him an unnecessary amount. Just looks to me like it contradicts Demoffs MO.

Maybe his new contract is about complete, and the move was a showing of good faith to try and finish it. IDK

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
libertadrocks said:
Maybe his new contract is about complete, and the move was a showing of good faith to try and finish it. IDK

Boom!!??!!??!!??