Howard Balzer on 101ESPN (with notes)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
101.jpg

[mp3]http://icestream.dev-cms.com:8000/stl/2012/03/03212012161302.mp3[/mp3]

Notes:

(was the punishment warranted?)

I think it's a tad excessive. I'd like someone to explain how this is THAT much worse than teams that cheated - like the Patriots. Teams that circumvent the salary cap, etc. Oh, they lose a draft pick, and that's that. I think it's a bit excessive. I think a lot of it is PR. Showing people that they're coming down on this.

Bill Belichick didn't get suspended at all. He missed NO games. There's a big difference between coaches being suspended multiple games, and then a coach that blatantly filmed opponents for years and got NO suspension. No one's ever been suspended there. How can it be that much worse? I hate that fucker (my edit).

I will say this. A certain amount of how this penalty was, is because of the lying. They were just dumb. When they skated clean after the 2009 season, they should have stopped. They didn't. A big part of the penalties is because of that. In 2009 they said there was one player that came forward, and then that player retracted. Well, someone else must have come forward after the 2011 season. Shockey is denying that it's him. That first player probably retracted because nobody was backing him up.

The Tebow thing is nuts. First of all, the Jets don't read the contract. Duh. Brilliant. The Jaguars, supposedly saw the contract, and because of that they backed out. Well, why are they back in now? The Broncos paid all his salary, so they want some of that money back. Maybe the Jaguars can pay year by year - kind of restructure that payoff. The Rams, from what I'm hearing, have no interest. They were checking around the league because they still want a backup QB. Perhaps what they were saying and telling people was, they're checking out teams that get Tebow so that they could maybe get one of THEIR quarterbacks.

If you want a backup for Bradford, you want a guy who can play that system. To get a situational QB, Tebow doesn't want that anyway, and the Rams don't run a wildcat.