How Would You Feel About Barr Or Mack?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Just curious what every ones opinion is on them. As in if we traded back from #2 to somewhere between #4-#8 and grabbed one of them, how would you feel about that?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Seems to me that a 2 down LB would not provide full value for such a premium pick, assuming we continue to run one off the field ~60% of the time.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems to me that a 2 down LB would not provide full value for such a premium pick, assuming we continue to run one off the field ~60% of the time.

Well lets say we grab Barr, we could always move him to DE on 3rd down and move Long inside. It's a posibility at least.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
But we already have the ability to bring in an extra DE (Sims, Hayes) who have preformed well in those situations. I just don't see it as a priority although I must admit that I haven't seen Barr play.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But we already have the ability to bring in an extra DE (Sims, Hayes) who have preformed well in those situations. I just don't see it as a priority although I must admit that I haven't seen Barr play.

Understandable. Just enjoy the idea of having a Von Miller type player on our team. Could really make a good run at the season sack record.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
#1-Long is at his best playing LDE utilizing him in this post diminishes one of your teams most effective consistent players.

#2-Rams may have one of the best reserve backup LDE's in the NFL with 27 yr old William Hayes & an very good second reliefer in Eugene Sims.

#3-Fisher does play more 425's than 434's, in addition plays a heavy 416 too.

#4-Barr's value is higher with 34 teams not teams like the Rams who play 43 teams.

#5-Two of the teams LB'ers are outstanding players & is a very good overall unit.

#6-Rams have under contract six LBers who are all under 27 yrs old.

#7-Barr will not be on the board @ #13 thus you would have to select him with your 2nd overall pick? IMO means this selection will have little or no impact....not what you should get with your 2nd overall selection.

My top 5 would be DE Clowney, OL Robinson, OL Matthews, WR Watkins & CB Dennard.

Alan

Legend
The thing about the two down LB is unclear to me. Dunbar didn't play in obvious passing downs but was the reason for that his lack of coverage skills? Possibly a LB with good coverage skills would be a three down player. That would give our D many more options. It would probably really be good against read option QBs and draw plays. I'm not an expert though so many others can address this thought.

A55VA6

Legend
I really like Barr but I don't think LB is a position we need to really draft, especially that high. Rams play a lot of nickel so that 3rd LB won't even be on the field half the time. If Dunbar is re-signed.. that basically tells us they won't even be thinking about drafting a LB. Already a lot of young talent there with guys like Ray Ray and Bates.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I would love Barr in horns but like others have said it may not be the best option with one of our picks... hes such a beast though and hes from UCLA!!

NorCalRamFan

Barr is best suited for a 3-4 D
Long not really suited for DT
Maybe Van Noy will slide down to us in the 2nd, but that's wishful thinking.
Perhaps a trade down and pickup a late 1st/early 2nd and take Van Noy, but the Rams only play 3 LB's about 50% of the time so I'm not sure LB is that great of a need and perhaps Ray-Ray can fill the 3rd LB spot.
He was projected as a 1st rounder in some early mock drafts before he got into trouble.
Dunbar is still an option, but will be a FA but might be had at a bargain price as he is one strike away from a 1-year suspension.

I think our greatest need on Defense is a FS.
Rams really don't play SS/FS as they do a LS/RS scheme, so it's just semantics when saying "FS"
I wanted to keep Mikell last season but when that didn't work out, I wanted to take either Reid or Vaccarro instead of trading up for Tavon Austin.

I think in the right system, Austin would be a Superstar, but I don't think Schotty has a clue how to use him.

Too bad this draft isn't deep at Safety. Hasean Dix would've been about 5th best last year.

We have youth and talent at CB, but playing them so far off of the LOS seems counter-productive.

Look at the season JJ had in his rookie year; 4 INT's with 3 going for TD's and a fumble recovery for a TD, Then last season, just 1 INT

As good as our DL is, our run D is good but our pass D is terrible and it's not due to lack of talent although McLeod is a liability at FS

It's more the defensive scheme having the CB's playing 10 yards off of the LOS on 3rd and 7, for example.

IDK why Walton is still our DC when he was our 3rd choice last season after Williams was suspended, Ryan was given the keys to the office then changed his mind and seemingly, out of desperation, we went with Walton and for some reason, we are sticking with him.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Barr has tremendous Athletic ability and upside, and would definitely play some on 3rd down. Not sure I would be upset. I don't think he will be a Brandon Chillar dudes a freak of an athlete only Clowney rivals his athletic ability

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be ok with Mack because he's more than capable of playing 4-3 LB. I don't see Barr as a scheme fit for us.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Mack is a monster! But you'd have to use a top 15 pick to get him and probably not our best play. Van Noy could very well slide to the 2nd, even top of 3rd. Breslin isn't a bad pick in the 3rd or 4th, nor is Telvin Smith in the 4th or 5th.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I think because Barr has only played Defense for 2 years now he is a bit of a project. He made a huge jump from year 1 to year 2 especially in fundamentals. He would play 3rd down in pass rushing situations and has covering capability. He really is somewhat similar to Tree except he is bigger stronger faster .2 faster 4.48 at 6' 4" and 245 that's a lot of backer and that's why Scouts and coach's will be tempted to jump up and grab him. Barr will absolutely be one of the guys that shakes up the draft, the longer he is on the board.
Bonifay I agree with your need assessment except Clowney to our strong D line is similar to Barr to our LB crew except we are much thinner at LB. Remember pre Dunbar? our depth their is young and unproven low round draft picks and FA's. I would love Ray squared to step up but we can't depend on it.
"Jim Mora says"
"In my opinion, and I haven't seen everyone in the country, but there is nobody I'd take over Anthony Barr, and I spent 28 years in the NFL and I have a real clear understanding what they're looking for from football character to personal character. He's an A-plus in everything," Mora said.

Last edited by a moderator: