How would you build an offense from scratch?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Assuming fantasy is reality and you could pull from a league-wide player pool. What would be the first position you draft (sign), all the way down to the 11th? And keep in mind that by the 11th pick, the law of diminishing returns is in full effect.

Your first pick is a 100 rating and your last is a 79.

1. QB (name him if you want, but not necessary)

.... then what?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Tom Brady, several cameras and a bunch of walk ons that won't be remotely as talented away from our team as they were with it.

Also known as the Belichick way.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
LT, C, LG, RG, RT, QB, WR, RB, WR, RB, TE

Build a great O-line. Then you get the skill players.

I've never understood why a team would draft a QB in the first round and not have a solid O-line to protect him. Why would a team draft a great WR in the first round when the QB doesn't have time to get him the ball?

Edit: My reading comprehension skills are sorely lacking today so I edited this post to include offensive players only.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
LT, C, LG, RG, RT, DT, DE, DT, DE, MLB, QB

I've never understood why a team would draft a QB in the first round and not have a solid O-line to protect him. Why would a team draft a great WR in the first round when the QB doesn't have time to get him the ball?

A great D-line that can stop the run and put pressure on opposing QB's, will make the LBers and DB's look better than they really are.

Build the O-line and D-line first and fill in the rest later.

They do it because teams needs don't influence player availability. It's a mistake the pass on a quality player currently available while trying to fill a positional gameplan as you might not be able to find such a quality of player when you deem your team ready.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

A great D-line that can stop the run and put pressure on opposing QB's, will make the LBers and DB's look better than they really are.

This ^ is IT!!
55555.jpg
winner1.jpg

Brevity!!

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

I'd imagine because you need a very good QB to win a Super Bowl, whilst the last 2 Super Bowl winners have won it without top 20 OLs.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm a believer in building through the trenches too but my list was compiled 1-11 in terms of pure talent at each position. If your RG or Center are your best players on offense i think you're in trouble.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LT, C, LG, RG, RT, QB, WR, RB, WR, RB, TE

Edit: My reading comprehension skills are sorely lacking today so I edited this post to include offensive players only.
I simply could not agree with you more.

I know our memories aren't what they used to be... but, you may recall that I wanted Suh over Bradford in 2010. The important thing was WHY.

Here was the offensive line starters in 2010:
Saffold (rookie)
Jacob Bell
Jason Brown
Adam Goldberg
Jason Smith

We'd seen enough of these guys to know they were not very good at all. Throwing a rookie Bradford back there seemed like a recipe for ruining him (ala David Carr). Shurmur circumvented the line's lack of talent by devising a short game that started Bradford down the road toward becoming what many called "Captain Checkdown".

I'm old school... I truly believe the game is still won and lost in the trenches. Think about how excited and proud we are about our defensive trenhces. ;)

rick6fan

UDFA
Assuming you pick first, and 31 others are picked before your next pick:

QB - You can't risk having the 32nd best QB.
LT - If you have that good of a qb, you must protect his blind side.
RT - and throwing side.
C - Handles the ball every play.
RG - Have to be able to run the ball too.
WR1 - Somebody has to catch it
WR2 - Ditto.
LG - High pick LT and C help mask this ok player.
TE or WR3 - Whichever is a better player.
HB - Quick with good vision. Breakaway speed not a must.
FB - Can be a converted TE or dedicated FB. Must be large.

At any point, though, if you find a player who is VASTLY superior to everyone else left at the position...take him.

WvuIN02

Starter
QB, C, LT, RB1, TE, RT, LG, RG....WR, WR, RB2

Center for me is the Maurkice Pouncey effect. Bell on screens gets a lot of yards because Pouncey is the most athletic center in the league and can pull better than anyone. Oh yea, they make the line checks to not get your QB killed too. You can find good LTs in the first couple rounds, and teams move their best pass rushers around a lot for favorable matchups. When you can find the Antonio Browns etc in later rounds, a lot of that is having the franchise QB making them look good.

A good TE can block for your run game and make the red zone a nightmare ie Gronk for defenses where they can be unstoppable, I'd take one every time over a WR.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
QB
LT
WR
WR
RT
C
RB
LG
RG
TE
WR

My team assuming teams pick the top 3.2 players from each position each round:
QB - Aaron Rodgers
LT - Joe Staley
WR - Dez Bryant
WR - Randall Cobb
RT - Mitchell Schwartz
C - Jeremy Zuttah
RB - Tre Mason
LG - Michael Ola
RG - Andrew Gardner
TE - Jacob Tamme
WR - Jordan Matthews

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
They do it because teams needs don't influence player availability. It's a mistake the pass on a quality player currently available while trying to fill a positional gameplan as you might not be able to find such a quality of player when you deem your team ready.

I'd imagine because you need a very good QB to win a Super Bowl, whilst the last 2 Super Bowl winners have won it without top 20 OLs.

Well how did that workout for the Rams? It's totally illogical to me to have a great QB and a crappy O-line. There are times that a team can get a good QB by trade. Hopefully Foles will be one. One that was drafted late can also be developed.

Now in the Rams defense they thought they had a good O-line when they drafted Bradford but injuries decimated them. Injuries can screw up a good plan quicker than anything.

So you pick a good QB and then over the next few years try to get him the protection he needs. There's a strong possibility that by that time he's either been injured or he's shell shocked.

I know our memories aren't what they used to be... but, you may recall that I wanted Suh over Bradford in 2010. The important thing was WHY.

Oh, I remember and was of the same mind as well. After Bradford's rookie season though I thought we were wrong.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Well how did that workout for the Rams? It's totally illogical to me to have a great QB and a crappy O-line. There are times that a team can get a good QB by trade. Hopefully Foles will be one. One that was drafted late can also be developed.

Now in the Rams defense they thought they had a good O-line when they drafted Bradford but injuries decimated them. Injuries can screw up a good plan quicker than anything.

So you pick a good QB and then over the next few years try to get him the protection he needs. There's a strong possibility that by that time he's either been injured or he's shell shocked.

Oh, I remember and was of the same mind as well. After Bradford's rookie season though I thought we were wrong.

A good QB can cover up average line play. Brady and Manning are perfect examples of this. Both have had some pretty average lines, but there ability to recognize what the defense is doing, getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds and their ability to manipulate the pocket have covered up deficiencies in the line.

Don't get me wrong anybody who knows me know I love the big uglies and believe a good line controls the game. But the right QB wins and I firmly believe the QB is the most important position on the field. Give me the QB.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Well how did that workout for the Rams?

Yeah I'm not proposing assembling the worst OL imaginable or "The Rams method" as I like to call it, hence my second pick, but it's far easier to find a bunch of average OL which is all you need, than a top 10 QB, hence why Ryan Tannehill has just been paid so much.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A good QB can cover up average line play. Brady and Manning are perfect examples of this. Both have had some pretty average lines, but there ability to recognize what the defense is doing, getting rid of the ball in less than 3 seconds and their ability to manipulate the pocket have covered up deficiencies in the line.

Don't get me wrong anybody who knows me know I love the big uglies and believe a good line controls the game. But the right QB wins and I firmly believe the QB is the most important position on the field. Give me the QB.
Yes, I believe this is true.

But those QBs only come along occasionally.

I'd rather build a stout Oline that can help an average QB win (there are a LOT more average QBs! ;)) than wait and hope that my favorite team has found the next Brady... or Manning...

I seem to recall a lot of Rams fans thinking we had such a QB back in 2010 ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well how did that workout for the Rams? It's totally illogical to me to have a great QB and a crappy O-line. .
Not to start a Bradford debate, but where is it said that he's a great QB? It's possible that a great QB would have made a bigger impact thus making up for some inadequacies on the o-line

The best oline doesnt win the Superbowl every year and while I agree its extremely important I'd take my chances with the QB first.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Should have read this first, as usual I agree and you said it better....

Bingo