How will new CBA impact Ramsey/Kupp deals?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't understand. Can you elaborate?
I'm trying to find article, something to the affect that teams will be able to carry over a Cap loss vs mandatory Cap number. The way I understood it, a team (in theory) could carry a 185 mill cap number, and be penalized for the overage vs hard stop at the number. May have been twitter

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Most businesses take losses or even go out of business totally. Especially during a time like this.
My opinion the NFL should eat the losses they will take (I know not my money) but what business do you know that knows it will get it's losses back and so much more down the line. They should let everything go according to plan allow teams to put the best product out on the field they can in 2021. Making each individual owners business that much stronger for when fans are allowed back and new TV deals are struck not to mention the NFL is very innovative they will figure out additional revenue streams. To cut the cap on each team would be treating it as if these were cuts to a regular business and let's face it it would be an even bigger shit storm.
The NFL isn't a standard company. I honestly can't think of to many businesses if any that could eat giant losses like that and still know they will get it back sure as the sky is blue. People will always drool over football me included. I'd continue growing the sport with the model they have. Could you imagine the chaos of going rates for what quarterbacks get cornerbacks etc and now teams have to cut top end players or tell prime time free agents sorry times change Watson you have to take a smaller salary. It could actually water the league down. Some might say parity but I don't think so. Look at a team like the eagles. What on earth would they realistically be able to do? If I own the eagles is it worth blowing up my team? Yes the fans will come eventually but is it worth each owner possibly taking a team out of a playoff hunt and all those delicious playoff tickets sold. If I'm the NFL maybe I come up with a solution to soften the blow to greedy owners like a luxury tax for owners who want to afford it and can afford it for 2021 and possibly 2022.
Something like keep the cap the same or lower it and for the 2021 cap the owners that made the most and want to keep there team thriving let them take there cap up to what it was supposed to be before the pandemic. A cap ceiling a range, so to speak and if that's there choice then they pay a luxury tax like the NBA and it goes into a pot for the cheap or "less fortunate" teams that were most hurt by pandemic or didnt make the playoffs or are just extremely greedy. However it would allow for contending teams or big markets to continue as planned if they so choose.
Am I nuts??? Let's face it the NFL doesn't have and Kansas City Royals or Florida Marlins etc.
Lowering the cap to 175 million wouldn't be good for the individual teams now and long term. There would be so many contracts on the books for like 15 years for every team to comply. Goff will have guaranteed money til he is 35 lol. A lot of players will be the Bobby Bonillas of the NFL. Who i thing still gets a check from the Mets every June or something lolol.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
That $175M is the floor figure, i.e. the least it will be depending upon how much their losses really are. IMO it's probably going to end up between $180-185M if they actually play a full 16 game season with a Super Bowl with attendance. With the progress of the vaccines, there might be some limited attendance providing fans provide proof of vaccination i.e. like a card.

Now factor in releasing guys and not resigning guys like, Whitworth, Havenstein, and Brockers which would clear about $16M. The Rams already have their replacements in Noteboom, Edwards, and Lewis. Now if the estimates are correct and I see no reason to doubt them the Ram's will begin the new season in 2021 at a cap of $165M. So they will have about $30M (allowing for the rookie pool) in free cap if the cap is $185M. Then they can get creative and kick the cans down the road and sign guys to cap friendly extension backloaded with greater guaranteed money. Considering all the teams will be experiencing the same issues, these guys basically would have to accept or risk going unsigned and signing for less to join a team less likely to be a contender.

Teams like KC are in worse shape than the Rams. Right now even before Mahomes' new contract kicks in next year they have no cap space. They could lose talent because of it as it's clear they assumed the cap would rise not to fall.

It's simply too early to tell how it's all going to shake out. IMO a lot will depend upon how much the advertising traffic will bear for the Super Bowl. They might have to come down a bit on the pricing but perhaps not since it's a world event. They might not get everyone signed but the majority probably will get done. Kupp, Ramsey, Floyd, and Robinson are probably the most important ones. Goff and AD might have to restructure but I don't see a problem there either. After 2021 they will gain back another $8.8M in cap as Gurley's dead cap will be gone.

Just bear in mind that with the cap there are a lot of moving parts so as we saw this year there are ways to get it done.

KC made that deal with Mahomes literally 2 weeks ago in full understanding of the likely cap implications of Covid-19. I dont think they are they best example.

oldnotdead

Legend
Perhaps not but considering they didn't have to make it this year at all when facing all this uncertainty is puzzling, to say the least. They could have easily stood pat this year and extended him next year when there would be a better picture of the long term finances because they also would have his 5th yr option. They simply could have told him and his agent what their plan was and I think Mahomes would be okay with it. I'm sure that is what the Rams have done with their priority future extensions. It's why IMO Ramsey is blase about it. Jalen knows the Rams will pay him because he stands to be the AD of the secondary. Robinson and Floyd aren't fretting either.

Yes they extended him 2 weeks ago but then the cap floor was $165M back then.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Just remember Kevin Demoff doesn't ever backload contracts. Its known he basically pays as you go

oldnotdead

Legend
The Rams kicked the can one year on both Whitworth and Havenstein and a built in contract restructure of Goff's contract says otherwise. When expedient and when forced he will. He won't lose talent simply due to numbers. Those he has let walk were done so intentionally as they were already set to move on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just remember Kevin Demoff doesn't ever backload contracts. Its known he basically pays as you go

The Rams kicked the can one year on both Whitworth and Havenstein and a built in contract restructure of Goff's contract says otherwise. When expedient and when forced he will. He won't lose talent simply due to numbers. Those he has let walk were done so intentionally as they were already set to move on.

When he has to adjust, like whatever happened with Gurley, yes he will.

I think the Rams balance that pay as go philosophy pretty well... It gets pushed at times, sometimes also has wiggle room. Both always seem one season within reach. But... Never too extreme.

I give KD lots of credit there. (y)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Future NFL financial situation could affect Rams players looking for extensions

Jalen Ramsey rolled up to training camp in an armored truck as a personal hype-man yelled "It's time to get that money, money!" through a megaphone.

That was last year, when the star cornerback played for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

This week, Ramsey displayed no such antics when he reported to camp with the Los Angeles Rams.

But his situation remains similar.

As the COVID-19 pandemic looms over the start of camp and the 2020 NFL season, so do the contracts of several notable Rams players. Ramsey, along with five others -- including receiver Cooper Kupp and safety John Johnson III, are entering the final season of their rookie deals and in search of extensions.

In Ramsey's case, his deal is expected to be marked with record-breaking terms.

The Rams have $5.6 million in salary-cap space in 2020 and their cap space is projected to grow to $36.6 million in 2021, according to ESPN Roster Management.

But the future of the NFL salary cap -- which is set at $198.2 million in 2020 and typically increases every year -- remains largely in question because of financial fallout from the coronavirus.

The NFL and NFL Players Association agreed on a $175 million salary-cap minimum in 2021. If the cap drops to that amount next year, the Rams will have only $8 million in space, according to OvertheCap.com. That could significantly alter personnel decisions.

Here's a look at Rams players entering the final season of rookie contracts:

Jalen Ramsey
Drafted: 2016 (Jacksonville Jaguars), first round, 5th overall pick
Position: Cornerback
2020 salary: $13.7 million

This negotiation is not expected to be easy for the Rams.

The Rams mortgaged their future to acquire Ramsey in a trade with the Jaguars last October, sending the Jags their 2020 and 2021 first-round picks along with a 2021 fourth-round pick.

Expect Ramsey, who turns 26 in October, to have the upper hand throughout negotiations given his understanding of how much the Rams paid to acquire him.

"The Rams know where I stand, I think that's all that matters at the end of the day," Ramsey said in May when asked about the status of contract negotiations. "It will be handled. They know where I stand. They've been in contact with my agent, or you know, they on the same page as my agent."

After his midseason arrival last season, Ramsey made an immediate impact as a lockdown defender and his contributions this season are expected to grow under first-year defensive coordinator Brandon Staley.

"I don't want to overshare, but I'm very excited about the way I'm going to be utilized in this defense, I'll leave it at that," said Ramsey, who describes his role as a defensive back rather than a cornerback. "I think my talents will be shown thoroughly, not just in one aspect."

A three-time Pro Bowl selection and an All-Pro in 2017, Ramsey is worthy of a record-setting contract. The biggest question now is timing, and whether the Rams can make a deal work in anticipation of the salary cap falling.

If the Rams and Ramsey are unable to agree to terms this season, the Rams will have the ability to franchise-tag him.

Cooper Kupp
Drafted: 2017, third round
Position: Receiver
2020 salary: $2.1 million

Over the offseason, Kupp said a contract extension did not rank among his priorities as he focused on his family and ensuring their health and safety amid COVID-19.

Last season, Kupp made an improbable comeback after undergoing season-ending surgery on his ACL after Week 8 of 2018.

Kupp caught 94 passes for a career-high 1,161 yards and 10 touchdowns. He dominated in a Week 8 win over the Cincinnati Bengals, when he caught seven passes for 220 yards and a touchdown.

Expect Kupp to stick around for years to come.

John Johnson III
Drafted: 2017, third round
Position: Safety

A third-year pro, Johnson has steadily proven himself as playmaker.

Since his arrival, Johnson leads the Rams with seven interceptions. In 32 starts, he has deflected 24 passes and has forced a fumble.

After a fast start in 2019, with two interceptions in the first three games, Johnson suffered a shoulder injury in Week 6 that sent him to injured reserve.

He has since rehabbed and trained tirelessly to produce a bounce-back season and provide a veteran presence among a young group of safeties.

The Rams have expressed a desire to keep Johnson, 24, for the long term, but it remains uncertain how his contract situation will be impacted by the future salary-cap uncertainty.

Josh Reynolds
Drafted: 2017, fourth round
Position: Receiver

Reynolds has served mostly as a backup the past three years, but his role is expected to grow this season after the Rams traded Brandin Cooks to the Houston Texans.

Reynolds started two games in 2019 when Cooks was sidelined because of concussions and also started eight games in 2018 when Kupp was sidelined because of injuries.

In three seasons, Reynolds has caught 61 passes for 832 yards and seven touchdowns.

He will compete this season with rookie Van Jefferson, a receiver from Florida whom the Rams used a second-round pick on in April.

Samson Ebukam
Drafted: 2017, fourth round
Position: Outside linebacker

Ebukam started as a second-year pro, then took a Year 3 demotion in stride when the Rams signed veteran Clay Matthews to take over as starter.

The Rams have since released Matthews, making room for Ebukam to reclaim his starting role.

In 21 career starts, Ebukam has 9½ sacks, five forced fumbles and an interception.

In 2018, during a historic 54-51 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night Football, Ebukam made several game-altering plays, including an interception that he returned 25 yards for a touchdown. He also returned a fumble 11 yards for a score in that game.

This could be a big season for Ebukam to prove his playmaking ability.

Gerald Everett
Drafted: 2017, second round
Position: Tight end
2020 salary: $1.3 million

McVay has lauded Everett's talent over the past few seasons, but his production has been uneven.

Last season, Everett registered career highs with 37 receptions and 408 receiving yards. He also caught two touchdown passes. In Week 5, Everett surged with seven receptions and 136 yards in a 30-29 loss to the Seattle Seahawks.

However, Everett was sidelined three games late into the season because of wrist and ankle injuries and did not play in Week 16 despite being available.

After the Rams signed Tyler Higbee to a four-year, $29 million extension in 2019, then selected Purdue standout Brycen Hopkins with a fourth-round pick in the NFL draft, it seems Everett's time with the Rams could be limited.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Give up 2 first rounders and not pay him? Uh definitely not. If that happens Les needs to be fired for all the cap and roster mismanagement the past two years. The Cooks, Goff, and Gurley contracts might have been enough on their own for him to lose his job. We just drafted another 2nd round WR. I love Kupp obviously we all do, but JJ and Everett are already gone next year. And if push comes to shove I dont think we can pay Kupp over Ramsey, it would just be back breaking.

Kupps a better team guy. Ramsey a cancer.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
I'm sorry...I know that is your opinion and you are entitled to it...but it is so much harder finding an elite CB than an elite wr. I am keeping Ramsey over Kupp 10 times out of 10. But I think Rams can keep both. I think the cap news is worse for Jon Johnson chances of being resigned. Rams have never paid high prices for safeties.

Yea guys act like Ramsey was helping Jacksonville win.
Once they had a bad season he wanted a truck load of money and wanted out.
Kupp will be more effective in this league than Ramsey will

oldnotdead

Legend
Yea guys act like Ramsey was helping Jacksonville win.
Once they had a bad season he wanted a truck load of money and wanted out.
Kupp will be more effective in this league than Ramsey will

Perhaps, but teams aren't any better. A guy gets hurt playing for them and he gets released. Injury settlement is what they like to call it. I've got no sympathy for people who charge what they charge for a hot dog and a beer. Don't forget the bad old days of the blackouts while they played in a stadium funded by the city. They use each other and the only loser are the fans who have to pay for it all and have no control other than stop being fans.

As far as Ramsey is concerned he can become the AD of the secondary which is not exactly a bad thing. It's all about structuring and guaranteed money. The Rams FO has shown they know how to do both.

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Perhaps, but teams aren't any better. A guy gets hurt playing for them and he gets released. Injury settlement is what they like to call it. I've got no sympathy for people who charge what they charge for a hot dog and a beer. Don't forget the bad old days of the blackouts while they played in a stadium funded by the city. They use each other and the only loser are the fans who have to pay for it all and have no control other than stop being fans.

As far as Ramsey is concerned he can become the AD of the secondary which is not exactly a bad thing. It's all about structuring and guaranteed money. The Rams FO has shown they know how to do both.

“elite”

Attachments

• 59049FCB-2BB1-44ED-AEB5-D7E4796D2382.png
    59049FCB-2BB1-44ED-AEB5-D7E4796D2382.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 44