How will Gurley help us this year?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams will benefit from a healthy Gurley in several ways. Beyond the obvious, that is.

Sure, he's gonna get yardage as a runner. But his presence will benefit on so many other levels, too.

He will help increase our TOP.
He's a pass receiving threat to further concern a D.
He can get yardage running both inside and outside.
He has huge hands and rarely fumbles.
He can get those 4 yard gains, but he can break off a 20-40 yarder at any time, as well. A nightmare for a D.
He can simply wear out a D. By 3rd quarter, the D's will have their tongues hanging out.
He can force the D to come up, leaving open the middle to occasional deep throw for Foles. That, alone, is huge.

In short, he can be a one man wrecking crew affecting many levels. A player that opposing teams are forced to gameplan against. A rare and valuable commodity, indeed.

And after 3 quarters of a heavy dose of Gurley, Fisher can bring in the fresh Mason to terrorize a tired D that has been on the field for far too long.

Bottom line, here's what I see...

I see more scoring.
I see our D playing with more leads.
I see more Ram control of the clock.
I see fewer turnovers due to increased running plays and fewer throws needed to try to come from behind.
I see an easier transition for Foles in his new O.

I see more WINS!

The above are the reasons that S&F were so happy to grab Gurley at their #10 pick.

I'm stoked!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think the Rams will benefit from a healthy Gurley in several ways. Beyond the obvious, that is.

Sure, he's gonna get yardage as a runner. But his presence will benefit on so many other levels, too.

He will help increase our TOP.
He's a pass receiving threat to further concern a D.
He can get yardage running both inside and outside.
He has huge hands and rarely fumbles.
He can get those 4 yard gains, but he can break off a 20-40 yarder at any time, as well. A nightmare for a D.
He can simply wear out a D. By 3rd quarter, the D's will have their tongues hanging out.
He can force the D to come up, leaving open the middle to occasional deep throw for Foles. That, alone, is huge.

In short, he can be a one man wrecking crew affecting many levels. A player that opposing teams are forced to gameplan against. A rare and valuable commodity, indeed.

And after 3 quarters of a heavy dose of Gurley, Fisher can bring in the fresh Mason to terrorize a tired D that has been on the field for far too long.

Bottom line, here's what I see...

I see more scoring.
I see our D playing with more leads.
I see more Ram control of the clock.
I see fewer turnovers due to increased running plays and fewer throws needed to try to come from behind.
I see an easier transition for Foles in his new O.

I see more WINS!

The above are the reasons that S&F were so happy to grab Gurley at their #10 pick.

I'm stoked!

I am delighted to learn that that a college player coming off a torn ACL, who has not played a single down in the NFL ....and if or when he does, will efficiently excell behind a yet unproven and unsettled OL almost certain to include 2 rookies and a returning 2nd year LT still learning the position.

I am further encouraged to learn that this "rookie" will almost single handed lead this 6-10 team to the promised land, while scoring copious points, eating the clock at will while spelling Foles from any responsibilities, other than handing off to the Gurley man.

Kinda reminds me of other recent hero's like Austin, Bradford and Givens (the list is admittedly short).

Play it again Sam........it seems like I've heard this tune before....:rolleyes::cautious:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
All he has to do is run it as far as our own 42 yard line.

GregZuerlein_2837485.jpg

Anything more is gravy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I am delighted to learn that that a college player coming off a torn ACL, who has not played a single down in the NFL ....and if or when he does, will efficiently excell behind a yet unproven and unsettled OL almost certain to include 2 rookies and a returning 2nd year LT still learning the position.

I am further encouraged to learn that this "rookie" will almost single handed lead this 6-10 team to the promised land, while scoring copious points, eating the clock at will while spelling Foles from any responsibilities, other than handing off to the Gurley man.

Kinda reminds me of other recent hero's like Austin, Bradford and Givens (the list is admittedly short).

Play it again Sam........it seems like I've heard this tune before....:rolleyes::cautious:
I see you need a history lesson in Eric Dickerson.....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

My, my, 62.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine today.

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of room on the bandwagon later. Lol.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
He is going to force Mason work even harder to hold onto his job for as long as possible.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Man, I dont see how anyone can not be pumped for there teams 1st round selection. Let alone Gurley, a dude that was always facing stacked boxes and still made bad ass plays. I hope this kid comes back and kills it. We could possibly have the best RB in the league for years to come. Think AP and Lynch status.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
My, my, 62.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine today.

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of room on the bandwagon later. Lol.

LOL, it's not even preseason yet, just trying to bring a bit of reality to the table. There's just been so many years of hope and hype and look at the past results. .....

So I figure, what the heck, why not come in with a taste of pessimism and hope to be pleasantly surprised....it sure hasn't been working the other way...:sick:

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I see you need a history lesson in Eric Dickerson.....

Soooo, you're already suggesting the two are comparable? Anyway, it's good to know Gurley can actually catch the ball.....he's one up on Dickerson (hands of stone) already. :whistle:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I hope we don't see Gurley in the preseason at all. So that would put him limited at best at the start of the season. I hope he is ahead of schedule (most overused term ever in the NFL when talking about someone's ACL recovery) but I don't want to see him on the field until he is 100%. He will make a huge difference in our O if he is the pre ACL guy. And that's exciting!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I personally hope he doesn't even start the regular season. Otherwise he's coming back under a year removed from injury. Let Mason start for a few weeks and ease Gurley back in. We have good enough running backs without having to rush our best one back from injury.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He will sell more jerseys and inspire fans of Georgia to find a little soft spot in their hearts to buy Rams paraphernalia.

He will also increase our average yard per rush by 0.34

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope we don't see Gurley in the preseason at all. So that would put him limited at best at the start of the season. I hope he is ahead of schedule (most overused term ever in the NFL when talking about someone's ACL recovery) but I don't want to see him on the field until he is 100%. He will make a huge difference in our O if he is the pre ACL guy. And that's exciting!

So here's the rub...Can Gurley get into playing shape, by coddling him? Just working out isn't the same thing, as you know. You have to trust medical professionals that say "he's ready"..Then run with it. If that's Preseason, then he should get playing time.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So here's the rub...Can Gurley get into playing shape, by coddling him? Just working out isn't the same thing, as you know. You have to trust medical professionals that say "he's ready"..Then run with it. If that's Preseason, then he should get playing time.
Yeah, I get that but after Bradford, I wouldn't be too upset if they coddled him a little bit, especially during the preseason.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I say put Gurley on the PUP List... Let him rehab the 1st 6 weeks, then take the 1st 3 games he dresses and ease him in slowly. Make him earn it. This will be the only way to insure he waits a full year to recover.
kid gloves needed his 1st season, as might as this will kill me too!!!