How to Watch NFL Games for Free Without Cable in 2019: Everything You Need to Know

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sports

Money Brad Tuttle,Money Thu, Sep 5 10:13 AM EDT

The 2019 NFL season kicks off this week, with a special “Thursday Night Football” game: Packers vs. Bears. A full schedule of NFL action follows, with games on Sunday, September 8, such as Rams vs. Panthers, Chiefs vs. Jaguars, Giants vs. Cowboys, and Steelers vs. Patriots.
Every week, fans may be wondering a few things: What’s the NFL game schedule this week? What channel are the NFL games on? And: How can I watch NFL games (online) for free?
Figuring out the answers to these questions can sometimes be confusing. How and where you can watch NFL games can change from week to week depending on what networks and streaming services have broadcast rights. Among the spots you’ll find NFL games are old standards NBC, CBS, and Fox, as well as ESPN, NFL Network, and even Amazon Prime Video.
It’s easy to watch NFL games if you have cable or another pay TV package. But what if you’ve cut the cord or simply want to watch NFL games online — for free, ideally?
Here’s everything you need to know — and possibly, a few products and services you’ll want to buy or try out during free trials — to watch NFL games during the 2019 season.

HDTV Antenna
You don’t need cable to watch Sunday afternoon NFL games featuring your local team, nor do you need cable or another pay TV subscription to watch NFL games broadcast nationally by NBC. That includes “Sunday Night Football” games like the Pittsburgh Steelers vs. New England Patriots on Sunday, September 8, as well as the 2019 NFL season opener: Green Bay Packers vs. Chicago Bears on a special “Thursday Night Football” NBC broadcast on September 5.
Sunday afternoon NFL games are broadcast in local markets on either CBS or Fox. If an NFL game is airing locally on CBS, Fox, or NBC, you don’t need cable to tune in. All you need in these situations to watch the NFL for free is a digital antenna (along with a TV, of course).
A digital antenna, or HDTV antenna, is the modern equivalent of an old-fashioned “rabbit ears” antenna, and it’s a must-have purchase if you’re hoping to watch NFL games on TV without cable. Connect a digital antenna to your TV and it will tune in local affiliates of free, over-the-air networks, including ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, CW, PBS, Telemundo, and more.
Plug your address into the FCC’s website or AntennaWeb.org for an estimate of what free broadcast TV channels you’ll be able to watch with an antenna. In most of the country, you should be able to get most or all of the major broadcast networks (in hi-def), though what you can watch for free on TV also depends on the strength of your antenna and where the antenna is positioned in your home. (Because you may want to try the antenna in multiple positions to tune in the most channels, it helps to have a long coaxial cable cord.)
You can buy a good HDTV antenna for under $30, and yes it should allow you to watch plenty of NFL games this season for free. The top-selling product in the category at Amazon is an indoor TV antenna from BuKee, which has a range of 65-120 miles and comes with a 16-foot coaxial cord. It is listed for $29.99.
Courtesy of Amazon

Another solid model that’s slightly cheaper is the 1byOne amplified digital TV antenna. It’s priced at $27.99, and it’s the third-best-seller at Amazon. It has a range up to 80 miles, comes with a 10-foot coaxial cord, and boasts over 6,000 customer reviews at Amazon (and roughly 75% of them are four-star or five-star).
Courtesy of Amazon

For a more basic dirt-cheap option, check out the Mohu Mini HDTV antenna (under $18 at Walmart), or the AmazonBasics indoor flat TV antenna, which costs $16.99 and comes with a 10-foot cord.
Courtesy of Walmart

The range for the Mohu antenna is only 25 miles, and AmazonBasics’ range is 35 miles, so these products may only be a good idea if you live in a major metropolitan area in close proximity to lots of broadcast TV stations.

Free NFL Game Broadcasts on Locast
If you don’t have a TV, or would rather watch NFL games online for whatever reason, check out Locast.org. It’s a free service that lets you stream local broadcast network channels — including affiliates of NBC, CBS, and Fox, which are showing NFL games all season long — with no upfront cost or monthly fees.
Right now, Locast is available only in 13 major metropolitan areas in the U.S. So it’s hardly national. But it’s obviously a great deal if you’re lucky enough to live in an area with Locast. While Locast is totally free to use, the service does ask that users consider making a donation to keep it alive and help it expand.

Amazon Prime Membership
While the 2019 NFL season’s first “Thursday Night Football” is on NBC, Thursday games scheduled later in the season are airing on a combination of the NFL Network, Fox broadcast stations (free with an antenna), and Amazon Prime Video (free if you’re a Prime member).
Starting on Thursday, September 26, with the Philadelphia Eagles vs. Green Bay Packers game, and stretching through Thursday, December 12 (Jets vs. Ravens), you can live stream “Thursday Night Football” games with Amazon Prime. All you need to do to watch these NFL games online for free is sign in to your Amazon Prime account and go to Prime Video.
If you don’t have Amazon Prime, you can sign up for a free 30-day trial here, assuming you’re a new subscriber. With Prime membership, you access free NFL live streams of 11 different games being played on Thursday nights this season.

Free NFL Live Streams on Mobile Apps
Download the NFL App or the Yahoo Sports mobile app and you’ll be able to live stream many NFL games this season with your phone (or, in some cases, a tablet). Specifically, these apps let you live stream NFL games that are broadcasting locally in your area on Sunday afternoons, and NFL games airing nationally on broadcast networks, such as “Sunday Night Football” on NBC.
Basically, these mobile apps give you a free live stream of any NFL game that you’d otherwise be able to watch for free on TV with just a digital antenna. Bear in mind that you cannot use these mobile apps to stream games on a laptop or smart TV — they only work on smartphones and smaller screens.

Live Streaming TV Packages
Several live-streaming TV services come with local broadcast network TV, as well as the NFL Network and ESPN, in their channel bundles. ESPN is particularly important for NFL fans, because that’s the only place you can watch “Monday Night Football.” If you don’t have cable and want to watch “Monday Night Football” online for free, you can sign up for a free trial of a live-streaming TV service that includes ESPN in packages.
Here are live-streaming TV services to consider if you’re wondering how to watch NFL games online this season:
AT&T Now: Includes broadcast network TV and ESPN from $50/month after free trial
FuboTV: Includes broadcast network TV and NFL Network, from $55/month after free trial
Hulu + Live TV: Includes broadcast network TV and ESPN, from $45/month after free trial
PlayStation Vue: Includes broadcast network TV, ESPN, and NFL Network, from $45/month after free trial
Sling TV: Includes ESPN and free antenna, from $25/month
YouTube TV: Includes local broadcast network TV and ESPN, from $50/month after free trial
For these and all services that come with free trials for new subscribers, it’s up to you to remember to cancel before the trial ends if you do not want to become a paying subscriber. If you miss the deadline, you’ll be charged in full for the first month of the service.

NFL Sunday Ticket and NFL Game Pass
All of the options above work if you’re trying to watch NFL games being broadcast locally on network TV, or games broadcast nationally like NBC’s “Sunday Night Football.” If instead you want to watch an “out-of-network” NFL game on a Sunday afternoon — for example, if you want to watch the Dallas Cowboys and live nowhere near Texas — the only real option is to sign up for a special NFL viewing package.
There are two main options:
NFL Game Pass lets you stream or watch any NFL game as soon as the main broadcast ends. In other words, you can’t use Game Pass to watch NFL games live. It costs $99.99 for the season, after a free seven-day trial. 2)
NFL Sunday Ticket lets you watch all out-of-market NFL games live, online or on TV. If you live in an area that does not offer DirecTV, you can sign up for the NFL Sunday Ticket live-streaming service for $73.49 per month or $293.36 for the entire season. If you live in an area where DirecTV is available, you’ll have to subscribe to DirecTV to get NFL Sunday Ticket, which is included with some of the service’s packages at no extra charge.
We’ve included affiliate links into this article. Click here to learn what those are.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm living in a RV and I get all my viewing via my laptop (Lenovo 17inch). I have to be parked close enough to get 2 or more bars of wifi to get good streaming. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Curiosity Stream plus youtube, so I have plenty of options to watch.

When it comes to sports, getting live games I have to use one of these:

SportStream.tv

live2all.net

Feed4u.com

I generally use sportstream. You have to keep X-ing out the popups to begin with but after dealing with 3 or 4 I get a good HD stream. Very good for baseball and football.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Locast has worked for me in recent weeks....run it on a Fire stick

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm living in a RV and I get all my viewing via my laptop (Lenovo 17inch). I have to be parked close enough to get 2 or more bars of wifi to get good streaming. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Curiosity Stream plus youtube, so I have plenty of options to watch.

When it comes to sports, getting live games I have to use one of these:

SportStream.tv

live2all.net

Feed4u.com

I generally use sportstream. You have to keep X-ing out the popups to begin with but after dealing with 3 or 4 I get a good HD stream. Very good for baseball and football.

What rig do you have? I finally got to the Tampa RV super show this year after 6 years of trying. Thought the wife would think I was crazy, but she likes the idea.

On the fence between a Class A diesel pusher and a nice 5th wheel.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
What rig do you have? I finally got to the Tampa RV super show this year after 6 years of trying. Thought the wife would think I was crazy, but she likes the idea.

On the fence between a Class A diesel pusher and a nice 5th wheel.
Go with the 5th wheel. I had a real nice one a few years back. Park it and then I had a vehicle to drive around and see the sights. With the pusher, unless you have a toad, you're stuck where you park.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have a 25ft Tioga class C with ford Triton V-10. No bed in the back, just kitchen and bathroom giving me larger living area. Shorter than my previous RV (29ft with bedroom in back) making it easier to park. Has generator and everything works. Tow mini SUV on tow dolly, easy hook and unhook. Just got back from 17 state, 7500 mile trip. Canyonlands, arches, Dinosaur Nt Mon, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Rocky Mtn Nat Park, Gand Canyon. No breakdowns or mech issues. Lots of trout!

I am very comfortable living in my RV. I have everything you have in your house, TV Netflix, hot shower, stove, microwave, fridge with icemaker air conditioning.

I move around a lot between the beach and several parks.

.Old saying "You can never go home" I'm ALWAYS home.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Locast has worked for me in recent weeks....run it on a Fire stick
Do you need to pick one location or can you change week to week as needed? Thanks

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Change on the fly. They don't have all markets... Yet. But they DO have LA, so u shouldn't have to change from that as the LA market should have ALL Rams games.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have a 25ft Tioga class C with ford Triton V-10. No bed in the back, just kitchen and bathroom giving me larger living area. Shorter than my previous RV (29ft with bedroom in back) making it easier to park. Has generator and everything works. Tow mini SUV on tow dolly, easy hook and unhook. Just got back from 17 state, 7500 mile trip. Canyonlands, arches, Dinosaur Nt Mon, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Black Hills, Rocky Mtn Nat Park, Gand Canyon. No breakdowns or mech issues. Lots of trout!

I am very comfortable living in my RV. I have everything you have in your house, TV Netflix, hot shower, stove, microwave, fridge with icemaker air conditioning.

I move around a lot between the beach and several parks.

.Old saying "You can never go home" I'm ALWAYS home.
If you're ever in Ventura, CA area, along the beach, give me a shout out and i'll buy you lunch!

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I live in an apartment that doesn’t face the correct direction for satellite TV. So I was able to purchase NFL Sunday Ticket without a DirecTV subscription. I did the $99 a month option to include RedZone.

I just can’t do the Reddit streams. I am hardly ever able to get them working on my phone, and the picture quality just doesn’t compare.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I will be having to stream most games on my phone while at work this season. I only have about 6 remaining sick days/ floating holidays. But I may be going to the Monday night game in LA, have the days off, but just interviewed for a job with the county and probably wont be able to get the time off if I get the new job.