how to stop conspiracy theories

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

beej

Rookie
Open the refs up to the media after the game. Let them explain themselves. Pretty simple.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Open the refs up to the media after the game. Let them explain themselves. Pretty simple.

Ditto.
Suspend/fire them for blatantly obvious bad calls.

Ditto.

And I would add, since they grade them on every game, make the full grades for every game and every official public as soon as they are available. Every single play, every call, every non-call.

One other - reduce the rulebook, take out some of the ticky-tackyness and remove as much subjectivity as reasonably possible.

Oh, and one more other - replay reviews of penalties, and also give replay officials the ability to overturn scores (since all scoring plays are reviewed anyway) if an obvious penalty was missed.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
How about make them full time employees?

You have a multi-billion dollar corporation that essentially uses part time employees. If this is the top of all the American Football leagues, then why do you not have professional referees? Pay the men. You already pay players upwards of 10-20 million a year to have multiple months off every year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
According to Google...

NFL refs are paid $200,000 per year for calling 20 games.

I wouldn't pay that kind of coin for poor performance. Full or part time.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
According to Google...

Is that just the head ref or all of them?

Agree on the last part.

Athos

Legend
According to Google...

Even more reason why they should be held accountable for doing shit jobs. If this were the real world, as you equated the ref into a "mid-management role" of a company overseeing policy violations, they'd have had their ass fired ages ago for doing such a crap job.

It really is disgusting how these pricks are above criticism and punishment. But then, change requires Goodell being forced out. Because you know that turd monkey doesn't give a damn about anything other than banking his ridiculous 45$ million dollar paycheck each year.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I say give the players flags. Five total per team and you don't know which player has them or how many that player has. When they are fouled against, they can call it themselves for Ref review.

AND they can use them to reverse bad calls.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I peeled the onion a little further...

Looks like the pay ranges from $165K to $210K.

By 2019 all will make at least $200K.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
All of these are good points, and hopefully when the contract expires the NFL can work the refs union to actually do something to improve the shitty performance. I wish there was something they could do right now but I don't think they have enough leverage.

Unless Goodell goes to the media and says it has to change they won't feel enough pressure to do anything and I doubt Goodell would do that. The only other thing that might cause enough of a ripple is if one or two coaches started complaining in press conferences but I'd suppose there are clauses in contracts all around to keep people from saying much.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I peeled the onion a little further...

Looks like the pay ranges from $165K to $210K.

By 2019 all will make at least $200K.

I'm thinking "career change" for myself.........I'd look good in those pants and stripes! I can rock that look totally!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
According to Google...

I'd rather double that and make them full-time so they can concentrate on studying situations and how to make the call.

This part-time crap isn't cutting it.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I'd rather double that and make them full-time so they can concentrate on studying situations and how to make the call.

This part-time crap isn't cutting it.
Do you honestly think that will end these biased calls? I have no confidence in the refs or their ability to call a fair game

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Do you honestly think that will end these biased calls? I have no confidence in the refs or their ability to call a fair game

Well, that's a different problem, and it goes all the way to the top.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Have to make some if not all penalties reviewable, that would be a start.

This is the next logical step and will have to be part of the longer term solution. Eventually they are also going to have to have one or two guys watching the games remotely and over ruling plays off the bat. It's the smart play IMO.

beej

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is the next logical step and will have to be part of the longer term solution. Eventually they are also going to have to have one or two guys watching the games remotely and over ruling plays off the bat. It's the smart play IMO.
The conspiracy theorist would say they already have that and used it Monday night. ;)