How the Rams fared from the 1-yard line/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
How the Rams fared from the 1-yard line
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/15999/how-the-rams-fared-from-the-1-yard-line

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The now infamous decision by the Seattle Seahawks to throw from New England's 1-yard line in Sunday's Super Bowl loss has been panned as one of the worst calls in league history by pundits and analysts.

I'll let you decide where you want to rank that play call in your own rankings of key play calls in big games but the aftermath of the game has allowed for much localizing of the discussion.

So, just for fun, let's take a look at how the St. Louis Rams fared when they reached their opponent's 1-yard line during the 2014 season. In no way is this meant to compare the Rams to the Seahawks. Clearly, the Rams haven't been in a game the caliber of the Super Bowl in a long time nor do they have a proven power back the caliber of Marshawn Lynch.

Here's how the Rams' attempts from the 1 broke down in 2014:

The Rams had six snaps from the opponents' 1 last year, which was tied for 24th in the NFL.

On those six snaps, the Rams scored four touchdowns.

The Rams threw the ball on four of those six snaps, completing three of those passes. All three of those completions went for touchdowns.

St. Louis opted to run the ball the other two snaps from the 1 with one of those rushes going for a touchdown and the other for no gain.

The Rams' two misses from the 1 came against Dallas and the home matchup against Arizona. The lone rush that didn't score was Zac Stacy's run for no gain against the Cowboys and the pass play that didn't work came when quarterback Shaun Hill threw incomplete in the Thursday night game against the Cardinals.

The Rams' four touchdowns from the 1 were as follows: quarterback Austin Davis to tight end Lance Kendricks against Dallas, Benny Cunningham's run at home against San Francisco, Davis to Kendricks at Kansas City and quarterback Shaun Hill to tight end Jared Cook at Washington.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The Rams threw the ball on four of those six snaps, completing three of those passes. All three of those completions went for touchdowns.

St. Louis opted to run the ball the other two snaps from the 1 with one of those rushes going for a touchdown and the other for no gain.
But that's unpossible! Passing from the 1 is always stupid! Always! Always! Just when it doesn't work, really, but always!

jjab360

Legend
One of the worst calls in league history"? Really? 27 seconds left, 2nd down, and 1 TO, pretty much and OC would call a pass play from that situation. A quick slant route against man coverage with no safety help makes common sense. The pass was a little off and the CB made a great play, that's all there is to it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

when you do what the opposition wants you to do you made the wrong call. especially when your qb can't make a simple throw.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

when you do what the opposition wants you to do you made the wrong call. especially when your qb can't make a simple throw.

I'd say the opposition wanted them to run... it was the obvious call, and what New England was playing against.

The play didn't work because one New England defender, who had had zero career interceptions prior to that point, made an excellent play. That happens sometimes.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
One of the worst calls in league history"? Really? 27 seconds left, 2nd down, and 1 TO, pretty much and OC would call a pass play from that situation. A quick slant route against man coverage with no safety help makes common sense. The pass was a little off and the CB made a great play, that's all there is to it.

Hardly the worst call ever, but I still thought it was ths wrong call....I just can't imagine the hardest running, hardest to bring down RB in the NFL wouldn't have been a better option there...If Douchemode carries, I doubt it would have been intercepted, I doubt that it would have been incomplete...Worst case he gets stuffed...The Hags can still throw it twice at that point...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Clearly, the Rams haven't been in a game the caliber of the Super Bowl in a long time nor do they have a proven power back the caliber of Marshawn Lynch.
I don't know! The Denver Win was a pretty Huge Game to me!! And we rushed for 131 yards averaging 4.0 per!! And held the Bronco's to 7 PTS. Total!!