How the NFL plans to overhaul instant replay in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

How the NFL plans to overhaul instant replay in 2020, and who could oversee the transition
The league has been studying its planned process change for months

The NFL is deep in preparations to overhaul the way it receives video replays for the 2020 season, league sources said, a move that would require bolstering the in-house refereeing department as well.

The league expects to have the capacity to no longer rely on its television partners to provide the feeds of replays by next season and has been studying the process for months while also studying the way other pro sports leagues handle video replay. Currently, the NFL relies on the on-site production trucks of his broadcast partners to send them camera angles for video replay, but under this new format every camera angle available at a game would be visible in-house at central command in New York City in real time on an individual monitor -- in essence replicating what would be available to a director or producer on site at that broadcast.

The NFL's handling of video replay has been a controversial topic in recent years, with the one-year decision to allow challenges of pass interference further thrusting it into the spotlight. The league, particularly with the mainstreaming of sports wagering and with the NFL doing sponsorship deals with gambling entities, wants to have the best technology available, and this has become a major initiative under commissioner Roger Goodell, sources said.

Of course, having that much more video content available n real time will require additional training and resources to have sufficient staff on hand for game days, and sources said there has been a buzz at league headquarters about potentially recruiting former head of officiating Dean Blandino to help oversee it. Whether or not Blandino, currently an officiating analyst with Fox, would be inclined to return to the league is unknown, but several league sources indicated they would not be surprised if the NFL made an attempt to bring him back.

The league eventually will decide between several different companies that specialize in the kind of technology required to revamp how central officiating operates on game day, and owners will have to sign off on those expenditures. But the NFL has already spent considerable time researching all of the options and will also continue to explore other technology such as microchips in game balls moving forward, I'm told.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I wonder if this means that the NFL will then be able to preview the different angles before the networks and then be able to tell the Networks which angles they are permitted to show.

This would aid the league in being able to steer an outcome by omitting content from fans that prove a call was good or not.

Restricting certain views proving a poor call on the field could also remove any ammo in these ridiculous law suits and thus quell any future attempts.

This just sounds like the league trying to cover their butts. Why else spend the money that it will cost? To speed up replay?

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I wonder if this means that the NFL will then be able to preview the different angles before the networks and then be able to tell the Networks which angles they are permitted to show.
I dunno about anyone else but that sounds like censorship too me. They don't want to overturn a call so they tell the network to show the worst shot. Scary...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I dunno about anyone else but that sounds like censorship too me. They don't want to overturn a call so they tell the network to show the worst shot. Scary...

It’s Sports Entertainment. With that designation they reserve the right.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Speed and impact on the viewer is the key. We see enough of the refs already. Showing the refs' faces more and more is NOT good for the game. Those guys need to be in the background.

So if it were me I'd go with a silent review where the league has officials overlooking gameday results and remote-fixing what needs to be fixed. Basically expand the function of what they do in 2 minute and redzone situations.

As to the challenge flags, I'd make the impact of being wrong more punishing. Loss of down for example, something like that, to make the coaches really think it over and reward teams who have good internal review of plays. Combination of the two should lessen the amount of time we spend staring at the refs.