How T.J. Mcdonald Fits The Rams' Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Tevin Broner
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/9/4294968/2013-nfl-draft-tj-mcdonald-safety-st-louis-rams" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/5/9/4 ... louis-rams</a>

151552513.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Every draft, there's always that one player that surprises everyone. This year it was T.J. McDonald. Graded as a late round choice by many analysts, McDonald was drafted in the 3rd. Here's why the St. Louis Rams decided to draft him.

With the 71st pick in the 3rd round, the St. Louis Rams selected former USC safety T.J. McDonald. The pick was a surprise, no matter how you felt about McDonald as a player. Many people didn't see him as a 3rd round pick. Also, many people figured that the Rams would draft a better coverage safety, Bacarri Rambo.

The Rams drafted McDonald anyway.

Honestly, it was a move that had many people scratching their heads, but the Rams could end up out smarting everyone with the selection of McDonald.

McDonald will be a starting safety this season, after the team lost Craig Dahl and Quintin Mikell this offseason. That he was drafted too high doesn't matter anymore; all that matters is how will McDonald perform now that he's a Ram. It's impossible to tell at this moment, but here's a look at how the Rams could use him this season.

How was McDonald used at USC?

In 2011 McDonald was used mainly as a free safety. 67 tackles, 3 interceptions, 2.5 tackles for lost.

In 2012 McDonald was listed as a free safety, but was primary in the box. 110 tackles, 2 interceptions, 6.5 tackles for lost and a sack.

Why did the Rams draft McDonald in the 3rd round?

Was McDonald drafted higher than the experts thought? Were they wrong? Not quite. If the Rams use McDonald in Mikell role last season, he should be better than expected. For those who don't remember Mikell was in the box, helped cover in the slot, and was a good blitzer, all things that McDonald excel at. In fact, he was the perfect safety for that role.

How will McDonald fit with the Rams?

McDonald is 6'2, 219 pounds, and ran a 4.59 40 at the combine. McDonald should be used in the box, he looked natural there in his senior season. It's not a bad thing, he just doesn't look like a pure centerfielder at safety. If he's in the box, he will still make impactful plays, as when Mikell played it.

He's good in man coverage against TE's, but he shouldn't be left alone with great slot receivers. Rams can use him in deep coverage, but that's not his strong suit, in fact it's the main area where he needs coaching up, and why many analyst were down on him.

3k's take on McDonald:

It's no secret that I've seen a good fit for McDonald with the Rams for some time. I had him going to the Rams in my very first 2012 mock draft back in May 2011. A year ago, I had him coming to St. Louis in my first 2013 mock. Needless to say, I'm down with the selection.

There are things he possesses that you can't teach - frame, speed, burst. His father, Tim, was a successful safety at USC and in the pros; he's now the new defensive backs coach with the Jets. His brother, Tevin, recently got booted from the UCLA team for a rumored third failed drug test and has transferred to Eastern Washington. This is a football family, folks.

As for T.J. specifically, he's more than willing to play physical. And yes, as has been widely noted, he's been burned a couple times for trying to make the big hit. That's not a horrible instinct to have -- it's largely incumbent on the coaching staff to help a player like T.J. straddle the fence between a lack of discipline and a lack of aggression (this horrible, horrible rap song has something to do with this...), so I don't completely begrudge T.J. here. How often did we decry Craig Dahl's lack of ferocity last season? That's not something we'll have to worry about with McDonald. More concerning is the lack of one-on-one cover skills against quicker targets. He matches up well against tight ends (despite receiving notable derision for his inability to stop a Michael Williams TD catch in the Senior Bowl, an eventual 7th round selection for the Detroit Lions), but has issues with the quicker, shiftier guys underneath.

I'm just interested to see how the Rams employ him. With Alec Ogletree, I expect to see some more conventional 4-3 looks (at least in the preseason) - perhaps that gives McDonald liberty to sit deeper and have Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan press up a bit...ending the Rams' 2012 penchant for giving WRs 6-yard cushions on 3rd and 2 wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

And anytime you can add the Ghetto Flash to your team, it's hard to say no.

A55VA6

Legend
I feel like I'm the only one here that likes this pick. He's the perfect Safety to this defense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A55VA6 said:
I feel like I'm the only one here that likes this pick. He's the perfect Safety to this defense.

No you are definitely not the only one. He is an instant upgrade from our Safety play last season. He is not the liability in pass coverage that he is being tagged with. He may not be the quickest afoot but he knows the game and how to read plays. That will play huge in not letting his guy just blow by him. He is going to play huge against pass catching TEs and preventing the QB from picking up big chunks.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Your definitely not alone. I loved this pick. I felt we could have gotten him in the 4th. But you can't risk it. So I'm all for the pick. I think it's likely that if he works out that we may have one of the stronger secondary.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A55VA6 said:

I approve of this pick.

had

Rookie
A55VA6 said:

How is McDonald the perfect safety for this defense? (Not disagreeing with you, just wanting to know what your thoughts are.)

My thought is that the Rams lack some beef in the interior DL and that bringing this kid into the box could keep us from giving up big runs, but then we'll likely get burned over the top.

As I believe someone here said -- if the Rams D can keep the other team's offense in front of them, I think the Rams D will dominate. And I mean dominate -- this defense could put the fear of god into an offense.

I have this slight little nervous feeling about hearing this on a Sunday -- 'play fake to Gore, Kapernick drops back, over the middle to McDouche, touchdown niners!'

As always, it all starts with run defense.

nighttrain

Legend
had said:
A55VA6 said:

How is McDonald the perfect safety for this defense? (Not disagreeing with you, just wanting to know what your thoughts are.)

My thought is that the Rams lack some beef in the interior DL and that bringing this kid into the box could keep us from giving up big runs, but then we'll likely get burned over the top.

As I believe someone here said -- if the Rams D can keep the other team's offense in front of them, I think the Rams D will dominate. And I mean dominate -- this defense could put the fear of god into an offense.

I have this slight little nervous feeling about hearing this on a Sunday -- 'play fake to Gore, Kapernick drops back, over the middle to McDouche, touchdown niners!'

Over the top, more sooner than later, will be 4.4 40 speed Cody Davis
CFer of the very near future
train

A55VA6

Legend
Fisher just like those physical, tough players. McDonald has size, and will take someones head off. Plays really well in the box. He has decent coverage ability. I could see him blitzing alot liek Mikell did.

At the Safety position I feel fisher likes the had hitting, open field tacklers, the physical guys.. rather than experts in coverage. That's just what I see from Fisher.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
had said:
A55VA6 said:

Couple ways. As you already noted, he will be more stout in the box. But he is also very football intelligent by all accounts. He has very good instincts so he tends to take pretty good angles in both coverage and on running plays. He is also 2" taller than Dahl and has 3" longer arms. Against Wilson's height 5'11" and Kap's flat throws, that should shrink windows even if his man gets a step on him. If we send him on blitzes, that height will also come in handy as he's as fast as Quintin, a little heavier, and his height and arm length will again be harder to throw over on dump offs and screens.

Whether he is the "perfect" safety for this defense remains to be seen but I think he is a really good fit and a smart addition for a team playing in the NFC West. He may not be able to stick with Percy but I really don't see him as a liability against many of the other receivers he'll be asked to cover in our division. I think he will be used as somewhat of a hybrid Safety. He will be asked to cover but if there is a particularly speedy slot guy, he will probably be in the box.

IMO it is a big advantage that he has played both Free and Strong in college.

jap

Legend
A55VA6 said:

Fish likes him for his defense, and that's enough for me. Fish sees him as very smart, very coachable, with decent instincts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A55VA6 said:
Fisher just like those physical, tough players. McDonald has size, and will take someones head off. Plays really well in the box. He has decent coverage ability. I could see him blitzing alot liek Mikell did.

At the Safety position I feel fisher likes the had hitting, open field tacklers, the physical guys.. rather than experts in coverage. That's just what I see from Fisher.

That's it. Last year we got downright physical with teams and this year will be even more so.

Ogletree and McDonald lay the wood.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CGI_Ram said:
A55VA6 said:

That's it. Last year we got downright physical with teams and this year will be even more so.

Ogletree and McDonald lay the wood.

Yeah - that too but TJ isn't likely to get burned ala Craig Dahl either.