How Snead will address the lack of linebackers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Full Story

"We'll play a lot of dime defense," Snead joked about the dearth of linebackers. "I don't think it is a time to panic, because there is a timeline. And the timeline is between now and final cuts for us."

That timeline includes the rest of free agency, the draft, rookie free agents and then the final roster cutdowns around the league at the end of the preseason. The Rams are second in line for waiver claims at the start of the season.

"This will be a year we should take advantage of that," Snead said. "We're on the front end of building this thing, so there is an element of wanting youth so they can grow with us. But [hil]we're not going to be able to do everything we want to do Year One in terms of filling holes[/hil]. So there's going to be some, call 'em insurance policies. You know, maybe older, veteran players that can come in and help us fill a role for a year or two."

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
The lack of interest we have shown in FA OLBs leads me to believe the FO has something up there sleeve.

They know we have a glaring hole there and it has to be fixed. We only have 4 LBs on our roster right now. 2 of which are MLBs the other 2 are Justin Cole and our Britt Miller, who is still listed as a LB lol. Basically we have JL and that's it, considering Hull is coming off injury

So IMO, the FO is planning on at least one of the following
1) They have targeted some lower level FAs they would like to drive the price down on,
2) They have some contingency trade plans in place, or
3) They believe this class of rookies is extremely deep at OLB and have high grades on middle round prospects.

Some FA OLBs left:
Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LeRoy Hill
Brian Kehl
Gary Guyton
Phillip Wheeler

Some mid round OLB prospects:
Lavonte David(NEB)
Bobby Wagner (Utah state)
Mychal Kendricks(cal)
Sean Spence(miami)
Keenan Robinson(Tex)
Travis Lewis(OU)
Emmanuel Acho(Tex)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
The lack of interest we have shown in FA OLBs leads me to believe the FO has something up there sleeve.

They know we have a glaring hole there and it has to be fixed. We only have 4 LBs on our roster right now. 2 of which are MLBs the other 2 are Justin Cole and our Britt Miller, who is still listed as a LB lol. Basically we have JL and that's it, considering Hull is coming off injury

So IMO, the FO is planning on at least one of the following
1) They have targeted some lower level FAs they would like to drive the price down on,
2) They have some contingency trade plans in place, or
3) They believe this class of rookies is extremely deep at OLB and have high grades on middle round prospects.

Some FA OLBs left:
Jo-Lonn Dunbar
LeRoy Hill
Brian Kehl
Gary Guyton
Phillip Wheeler

Some mid round OLB prospects:
Lavonte David(NEB)
Bobby Wagner (Utah state)
Mychal Kendricks(cal)
Sean Spence(miami)
Keenan Robinson(Tex)
Travis Lewis(OU)
Emmanuel Acho(Tex)
I agree, and being second on the waiver wire helps.

Looking at your list, I'm wishing I had another 3rd or 4th round pick.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I was hoping they'd kick the tires on Manny Lawson. He'd been a great fit for what the Rams need on defense offering speed and great run stopping skill along with solid pass protection. Oh well.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Warner4Prez said:
I was hoping they'd kick the tires on Manny Lawson. He'd been a great fit for what the Rams need on defense offering speed and great run stopping skill along with solid pass protection. Oh well.

I thought they should have looked at Lawson too.

From my understanding, now that Lawson has resigned with the Bengals, they are now dangling Keith Rivers as trade bait. Maybe we look at him. He could be solid, still only 25 too. The two knocks on him are he isnt a rush LB and he has a degenerative wrist problem.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
Warner4Prez said:

I thought they should have looked at Lawson too.

From my understanding, now that Lawson has resigned with the Bengals, they are now dangling Keith Rivers as trade bait. Maybe we look at him. He could be solid, still only 25 too. The two knocks on him are he isnt a rush LB and [hil]he has a degenerative wrist problem[/hil].

Just cut his hand off and install a grappling hook, he would be a tackling machine!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DR RAM said:
Just cut his hand off and install a grappling hook, he would be a tackling machine!
waterboy.jpg