How Rams' usage of 11 personnel changed from 2018 to 2019

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
gettyimages-1183160816.jpg

Cameron DaSilva
3 hours ago

The frequency with which Sean McVay utilized 11 personnel in 2018 was a complete outlier compared to the rest of the NFL. The Rams had three wide receivers, one tight end and one running back on the field 89% of the time that year, with the next-closest team using 11 personnel on 77% of their snaps (Packers).

This season, the Rams came back down to earth with their usage of 11 personnel, mixing things up far more than they did in 2018. According to Sharp Football Stats, the Rams used 11 personnel on only 73% of their snaps, tied for third-most in the NFL.

The grouping they used second-most was 12 personnel, which features one running back, two tight ends and two wide receivers. They utilized 12 personnel 21 percent of the time, or on 219 total plays.

Here’s a comparison of how often the Rams used 11 personnel in the last two years.

Total: 89%
Pass: 94%
Run: 81%

Total: 73%
Pass: 79%
Run: 58%

So why the huge shift in the usage of 11 personnel from 2018 to this past season? Part of it has to do with defenses starting to counter McVay’s offense toward the end of the 2018 season. The Bears and Patriots both figured out ways to counter the Rams’ wide-zone rushing attack and play-action passing game, stacking the box and using 6-1 fronts.
McVay adapted by using more formations with two tight ends on the field, getting more blockers along the line of scrimmage rather than spreading three receivers out wide. McVay also attributed it to preventing his wideouts from wearing down, considering they played nearly every snap in 2018 when healthy and available.

With how much the Rams’ receivers are asked to block, it can take a toll on their bodies over the course of a long season. Thus, a higher tight end usage with Tyler Higbee, Johnny Mundt and Gerald Everett.
It’s a good sign that McVay found a way to adapt to what defenses were showing him this season, but it wasn’t until late in the year that he began to utilize two tight ends more often. We’ll see if things change next season with Kevin O’Connell coming aboard as the offensive coordinator and Higbee emerging as a legitimate No. 1 tight end in December.

Q729

Legend
A long time to find out. :( And by then we'll have a new stadium and unis.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If we don't trade Everett, I suspect we'll use 12 personnel in a similar manner as this year, a lot will depend on the influence of our new OC on McVay and what his plans are to disrupt defenses which have been finding it easier to gameplan McVay's 11 personnel. I believe half the offensive battle is simply execution, and finding a real OL fix will get us back to what we expect with Goff, Gurley and our outstanding receiving corp. Get the offensive line in order and the personnel schemes will go more smoothly.
jmo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll keep repeating it for awhile.

I hope McVay goes back and looks at some of that Pats tape with two TEs.

that offense was damned hard to stop and a team could play you double tough all game only to let ONE TE get away and that'd be ball game.

Having two TEs that can catch and run routes as well as ours can is a luxury that we should indulge. The only thing is that Everett needs to improve his blocking as he still blocks more like a WR than a TE.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
content://media/external/file/84333
I'll keep repeating it for awhile.

I hope McVay goes back and looks at some of that Pats tape with two TEs.

that offense was damned hard to stop and a team could play you double tough all game only to let ONE TE get away and that'd be ball game.

Having two TEs that can catch and run routes as well as ours can is a luxury that we should indulge. The only thing is that Everett needs to improve his blocking as he still blocks more like a WR than a TE.

I hear that. I always thought Hernandez and gronk were the next big trend as that gives you 5 recieving options while still being able to use the same 2 tight end formations to run the ball more effectively. Run that all day and defenses wont know if its a run or pass.

Im still waiting for a team with an elite TE to add another and put them on the field together. That would be a nightmare at less cost than adding another reciver who can beat single coverage.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
If we don't trade Everett, I suspect we'll use 12 personnel in a similar manner as this year, a lot will depend on the influence of our new OC on McVay and what his plans are to disrupt defenses which have been finding it easier to gameplan McVay's 11 personnel. I believe half the offensive battle is simply execution, and finding a real OL fix will get us back to what we expect with Goff, Gurley and our outstanding receiving corp. Get the offensive line in order and the personnel schemes will go more smoothly.
jmo.

agreed for Mcvays system to work the Oline needs to do a better job. A lot of his route trees are long developing and the QB needs to drop back and not have the defense at his knees. Most offenses work this way, if your OLine sucks your QB is usually effected which in turn effects your whole offensive output. I expect the Rams to either throw a little money at the OLine or at least draft heavy at that position.

However, McVay needs to adjust to what his offensive players can do, not what he expects them to do. Players skill levels are what they are and as a coach you have to play to their strengths and weaknesses. I assume that's why he's bringing in some much needed help in the coaching room. An outside perspective is always needed.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
agreed for Mcvays system to work the Oline needs to do a better job. A lot of his route trees are long developing and the QB needs to drop back and not have the defense at his knees. Most offenses work this way, if your OLine sucks your QB is usually effected which in turn effects your whole offensive output. I expect the Rams to either throw a little money at the OLine or at least draft heavy at that position.

However, McVay needs to adjust to what his offensive players can do, not what he expects them to do. Players skill levels are what they are and as a coach you have to play to their strengths and weaknesses. I assume that's why he's bringing in some much needed help in the coaching room. An outside perspective is always needed.

Agree with all this, I even agree with @Mackeyser to a degree. I don't see the Rams adopting an entirely new scheme with all the quality WR's we currently field, but increased use of 12 personnel will help keep defenses off-balance and add another dimension to our game. Very much looking forward to what O'Connell adds to our attack.

Ram65

Legend
I'll keep repeating that I hope McVay mixes things up every game. Meaning using both 11P and 12P with some 4 WR sets variations. You have to keep defenses guessing and make them prepare for everything. It's time to get Everett more involved. Using Everett in 12P the Rams can go quick-paced and not allow defenses to substitute players. I imagine he will still use more 11P but, keep getting closer to 70 or 65 percent. Rams need to be able to show a more physical offense when needed.