How Rams' Derion Kendrick caught corner of Allen Robinson's eye

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder

How Rams' Derion Kendrick caught corner of Allen Robinson's eye​

New Rams receiver Allen Robinson is one of the NFL’s best at beating defenders to catch so-called “50-50” balls. The eight-year veteran routinely out-leaps, out-muscles or out-finesses cornerbacks.

But rookie Derion Kendrick apparently is not intimidated by any receiver’s reputation and resume.

After four training camp practices, Kendrick has established himself as a player to watch, making numerous plays, several while covering Robinson.

The trend continued Wednesday during a full-squad drill when Kendrick broke up a laser pass from quarterback Matthew Stafford to Robinson in the front of the end zone. Later, he knocked away a 50-50 ball intended for Robinson in the back corner of the end zone.

“He’s playing hard and he’s a good competitor — and that’s what you want a far as young guys, veterans, whoever,” Robinson said. “You want that competition in training camp. That’s what gets you ready for the season.”

The real test for Kendrick and other rookies begins Friday when, after a day off Thursday, the Rams are expected to don pads for the first time.

But Kendrick already has impressed coaches and teammates.

“He’s got kind of a nice play-swagger,” coach Sean McVay said, “and he’s an excitable personality.”

Kendrick, a sixth-round pick, is competing for a role in a secondary that includes star Jalen Ramsey, veteran Troy Hill, David Long and second-year pro Robert Rochell.

The 6-foot, 190-pound Kendrick played as a reserve receiver for Clemson’s 2018 national championship team before switching to cornerback.

After the 2020 season, he was removed from the program, reportedly for repeated violations of team rules. Kendrick transferred to Georgia before the 2021 season, and intercepted four passes for a team that won the College Football Playoff and produced 15 NFL draft picks.

Kendrick probably slipped in the draft because of the circumstances surrounding his departure from Clemson, and because of what was reported as a 4.77-second, 40-yard-dash time at Georgia’s pro day workout.

“People had doubts about whether I can run or not, but by my film you should know that,” he said this week. “I’ve never been a 40 guy. ... I don’t run track — I try to play football the best I can.”

Kendrick aims to demonstrate that he was undervalued in the draft.

“It’s time to prove my point,” he said, “and keep my head down and keep working.”

Kendrick said his experience blending into a new team at Georgia has helped him acclimate to another new situation. He seeks advice from veterans on the field and in the defensive backs meeting room.

“I just try to play my role, just do what I can try to learn off everybody and just gain the trust of everybody,” he said.

Kendrick is building his case.

This week, he broke up a long pass near the goal line that was intended for receiver Tutu Atwell. The play set off a celebration among defensive backs, including Kendrick.

“When I met him, he was already out of his shell,” safety Nick Scott said, laughing. “That’s the thing you love about him. Playing that DB position, you got to have a level of confidence and he came right on the field. He was confident. That’s just kind of his personality and it only helps him on the field.”

Apprised of Scott’s comments, Kendrick chuckled.

“Off the field, I’m a little more quiet. ... joke around a little bit,” Kendrick said. “But on the field, everything comes out.”

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Kendrick is definitely intriguing. Seems he has some dog in him, which the CB room could use - outside of JR.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nice to see.

This pick reminds me a lot of the Fuller pick.You look back at what each player meant to a Championship team & all the other players got a lot more of the credit. So the cool thing is they both will help make other players better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kendrick is definitely intriguing. Seems he has some dog in him, which the CB room could use - outside of JR.

RR31 is going to be a tough player to beat out,also JR5 is not practicing or playing in the preseason.
The question then goes to who is playing behind Jalen RAMsey? There has to be a player taking those starting Reps. We’ll find out soon enough,but those things change as well.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
RR31 is going to be a tough player to beat out,also JR5 is not practicing or playing in the preseason.
The question then goes to who is playing behind Jalen RAMsey? There has to be a player taking those starting Reps. We’ll find out soon enough,but those things change as well.
The CB battle is probably the most interesting battle this camp! Troy Hill, Long Jr, RR and the rookies…

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So far so good. Keep it up 6. Take that job!

1659008396365.png

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Love to hear it. Kendrick has good size for a CB, and clearly has the right attitude. He could end up being another late round gem. You can NEVER have too many good corners.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Love this guy already. Put that shit on a t-shirt, “I’m not a 40 guy, I don’t run track, I try to play football the best I can.”

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Weren't teams turned off by Kupp's 40 time? Running track isn't always the measure of a football player. Otherwise it would be easier for track guys to make the transition to the NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The CB battle is probably the most interesting battle this camp! Troy Hill, Long Jr, RR and the rookies…

Yes no doubt,but you have to add DB’s such as the Safeties to the mix.

Jordan Fuller went down late in the season & was probably the best thing
to happen to The Rams in 2021/22

Eric Weedle was a Dawg that come to win a SuperBowl & without that chance things would have been so much different.

I think T. Burgees is getting lost in all this as well.Ram fans were talking about him being the backup CB.
He is actually the best nickel back imo The Rams have this season imo.

I’m going out on a limb though T. Hill might be that guy though,because he & David Long both create an illusion & can change looks(positions) by switching .

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I get the feeling Snead was done picking CBs. But Kendrick there when they picked was just waaaay too good value to pass up risk/reward. I don’t think he/CB was a pick by design at that spot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I get the feeling Snead was done picking CBs. But Kendrick there when they picked was just waaaay too good value to pass up risk/reward. I don’t think he/CB was a pick by design at that spot.

What about Russ Yeast ? Same type of pick. Where else would The Rams have drafted? A WR?

I actually want The Rams to draft a FB/RB type. Still a guy like Blanton or Hopkins might fit there.

A cousin who is like 11 has 2 younger brothers that are going to play RB.He went to his first practice this week & was excited he was going to play FB.

The kid is actually a smart athlete? I have not seen him for like 3 years & thought he was going to be a house gaming nerd.I’m posting this because adding 2 & 2 together.

I guess my main thinking is protecting Stafford (QB) & creating whole for the RB. Deserves another format,but Akers looked like crap blocking in the SuperBowl & HENDO is not a guy you want blocking much.He does a good job & does everything asked.He just needs to be kept healthy for the full season as a 3rd down back.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
What about Russ Yeast ? Same type of pick. Where else would The Rams have drafted? A WR?
Kendrick is a pure CB.

Yeast is a safety. Likely a ST guy at best if he ever makes the roster. That’s an odd pick honestly. Small guy. Maybe they do envision him as just STs and safety depth down the road.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Kendrick is a pure CB.

Yeast is a safety. Likely a ST guy at best if he ever makes the roster. That’s an odd pick honestly. Small guy. Maybe they do envision him as just STs and safety depth down the road.

A pure CB is hard to come by & there value in ANY Draft is by far worth more by value of contracts as well.

Les Snead over the years waits later in the draft to pick safeties.Never understood the J. Joyner trade up.The T. Rapp pick ?

I get what your saying,but a CB usual make good gunners on PR/PR.Who actually know Kendrick’s was on there list.

Weird Lake & Williams are on the do not practice list.Lake was drafted before Kendrick though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Weren't teams turned off by Kupp's 40 time? Running track isn't always the measure of a football player. Otherwise it would be easier for track guys to make the transition to the NFL.
YOUSONOFA ~ Ron Brown

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kendrick has always had talent. It's his head that got him into trouble, not his talent. But with Ramsey there coaching him, along with Troy Hill (another former knucklehead who matured)? I think Kendrick could very well shine, along with Durant and Rochell (and hell, I'll include Long in there; he played very well in the postseason, so well that I don't think we really knew him.)

I also anticipate Yeast and Lake making the roster at safety. Yeast is a lot like Burgess was: a safety who can move into the slot as a big nickel. Lake reminds me of Fuller coming out. Would not be shocked to see Rapp and/or Burgess dealt for picks.