How much of the blame...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
for our disappointing season thus far do you blame on the coaches?

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Game 1 was on the coaches, but todays loss rests squarely on the officials, they were determined to not let the Rams win.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Man. So hard to say. So far I'm really disappointed in our D. But is it Williams's fault? I mean it doesn't matter who the DC is if our DL can't get pressure or sacks that's on the players, not the scheme, IMO. I know there is a lot of OL holding that isn't called but that's happens every game of every year. Why were we so effective the last two years and now we are not?

I would say 1/2 of the penalties have been warranted but 1/2 are just bad officiating so you can't point them all to the coaches.

There have been some bad OC calls by Shotty at critical times but when you put up 448 yards it's hard to complain too much.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Said in another thread, coaches aren't the reason why we can't get sacks. At some point players need to execute. Some are, more aren't.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
If you look at it, the Offense, has played pretty well, with the exception of Game 1, because guys know Shotty's playbook. The defense, unfortunately, has not played as well as everyone has expected, but they are basically learning their 3rd defensive scheme in as many years. Even though Year 1 was Williams's defense, he wasn't the guy game planning and actually calling the defense. I hope this early bye week will get the kinks worked out and we play lights out in the Philly game. We definitely need CL and TJ back too.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Game 1 was on the coaches, but todays loss rests squarely on the officials, they were determined to not let the Rams win.

I disagree. While the penalties definitely put us behind the 8 ball, we shot ourselves in the foot mutliple times. We had -10 today:

-Wells botches snap. Dallas scores 3
-4th and inches stuffed. 3 points left on the field
-Cook drops TD. 4 points left on the field

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I disagree. While the penalties definitely put us behind the 8 ball, we shot ourselves in the foot mutliple times. We had -10 today:

-Wells botches snap. Dallas scores 3
-4th and inches stuffed. 3 points left on the field
-Cook drops TD. 4 points left on the field

While I agree the Rams had chances to overcome the bad officiating, dallas had zero chance of winning without the help from the officials. The Rams should not have to overcome BS calls, it is hard enough to overcome mistakes without the officials helping the oponent.

Alan

Legend
I'm not sure why many are saying that our offense played well. They only put up 17 points until the Cowgirls built up a decent lead. This against a team that was missing many of their starting LBs and who, just last year, had the worst D in the league.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
My only problem with the coaching is related to a) the OC slowness to incorporate WR reveres, screens and tosses until today and b) the DC over reliance of the 3 -3 -5 alignment (forces our best rushers in to too wide rushes creating huge run lanes especially on 2 and long) and his slow adjustment to the Cowboys adjustment to outsize zone to the inside zone runs in this game.

Actually thought this was one of the best games the OC has called. I especially like how he used WR reverses and the Toss and sweeps with Watts. This off script behavior ( in terms of his track prior ground and pound or pitch it to T Austin) gave our OL a chance to succeed whcich they did.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not sure why many are saying that our offense played well. They only put up 17 points until the Cowgirls built up a decent lead. This against a team that was missing many of their starting LBs and who, just last year, had the worst D in the league.

I was thinking the same thing Alan.

The OFFENSE was good enough to win with today, but they didn't stretch the lead... And were 32nd in points per game coming in. This offense has issues too...

But the Defense is farther away from expectations right now and getting all the attention.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW

I think compared to the D they looked like the GSOT. :cry:

Alan

Legend
Plenty of blame to go around. My personal opinion is that just like in our first game, it was a complete team loss. I include the coaching staff too because again it didn't look like we were prepared and the lack of good second half adjustments was pathetic. As usual I'm afraid to say.

Athos

Legend

A 7 minute drive by Dallas against our "vaunted" D in the 4th certainly did us no favors.

Our offense helped stack us to a 21 point lead that our D couldn't hold. That bumbling broken coverage that led to the Bryant TD bent us over the barrel.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All this premium talent on the D... And this is what we get? Defense is Fisher's specialty, right?

On offense we can't seem to figure out how to use Tavon. We are at the bottom of the league in points for the 3rd straight year.

Yeah, I think the coaching deserves some critique.

Alan

Legend
Athos with some incorrect data:
Our offense helped stack us to a 21 point lead that our D couldn't hold.
That is incorrect. Our offense only scored 14 of those points. Our Offense only scored 14 points in the first 3 quarters.

EDIT: Sorry Athos, I just noticed that you said "helped us". My vision problems again. :(

Last edited:

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A 7 minute drive by Dallas against our "vaunted" D in the 4th certainly did us no favors.

Our offense helped stack us to a 21 point lead that our D couldn't hold. That bumbling broken coverage that led to the Bryant TD bent us over the barrel.

You did see the two hold during that play right? The hold on Donald and the obvious one when the dragged down Langford.. No way that TD would've happened.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If you look at it, the Offense, has played pretty well, with the exception of Game 1, because guys know Shotty's playbook. The defense, unfortunately, has not played as well as everyone has expected, but they are basically learning their 3rd defensive scheme in as many years. Even though Year 1 was Williams's defense, he wasn't the guy game planning and actually calling the defense. I hope this early bye week will get the kinks worked out and we play lights out in the Philly game. We definitely need CL and TJ back too.

Agreed. But you have to wonder if Williams is really a coach who caters to his players' strengths because what I saw today was him forcing a square peg on a round hole. I'm confident this defense will find its rhythm midway through the season, I just hope there isn't too much damage done on this team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm confident this defense will find its rhythm midway through the season, I just hope there isn't too much damage done on this team.

But that's just it. Can't give games away like this trying to figure it out.

This is déjàvu 2013.

VelleRams1

UDFA
Name
Velle
The defense is to blame in this game
U should not blow a 21-0 lead like that i don't care who u play