How much of a difference does having an elite guard make?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Does an elite guard help an offense more than just a good guard?

• Yes! Dumbest question ever!

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • A little bit.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • No. Guards are guards and as long as you have a good one, you're set.

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Silence, infidel! Lest ye be struck down by The One True Guard!

Votes: 3 6.4%

• Total voters

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Not really, since the point was that I disagreed with selecting a kicker (or certain other positions) with a 1st rounder, even if they were elite.
What if that kicker were 100% automatic from any distance? Would you rather rely on something like the Music City Miracle or have the guaranteed three points to win close games?

Are you sure you wouldn't draft the perfect kicker in the first round, just because he's "only" a kicker?

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Yes it looks like the question for the poll is not logical whereas the title is more fitting for a poll. I had to answer yes to the poll logically as of course as others have stated it is quite obvious that an elite guard would help an offense more than a good one would.

I made a clarifying edit to the OP that should have indicated I was not just looking for "Is elite better than good?" Since, obviously, yeah. Dumb question. Elite water boy is better for a team than good, but how much should you pay for one?

The question, as others correctly identified, was whether or not an elite guard provided such an upgrade to the bottom line over a good guard as to be worth a major investment to procure one.

What if that kicker were 100% automatic from any distance? Would you rather rely on something like the Music City Miracle or have the guaranteed three points to win close games?

Are you sure you wouldn't draft the perfect kicker in the first round, just because he's "only" a kicker?
I'm not sure even Superman would be "100% automatic from any distance".

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'm not sure even Superman would be "100% automatic from any distance".
No human being would be. But we're discussing a hypothetical situation here: would you still not draft him because he's only a kicker?

Boffo97

Name
Dave
No human being would be. But we're discussing a hypothetical situation here: would you still not draft him because he's only a kicker?
If he was beyond human perfect, of course I'd draft him 1st round. By your description, the dude could kick 109 yard field goals if need be, and that'd be a huge advantage in games.

But since this hypothetical has precisely zero real world application, I'm not sure what the point is. I'd also draft Hawkman to take a handoff and fly over the defense to the end zone, even though RBs aren't 1st round priorities these days.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I'm not sure what the point is.
There has to be a cut-off point.

No kicker is going to be perfect but there must be a point where one deserves to be picked in the first round. Especially if, as suggested, the PAT becomes harder to achieve or worth more points in certain situations.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Other coaches/GMs don't seem to agree with you Boffo. The Guard position is no longer looked at as 2nd tier. Last year 3 Guards were taken in the top 20 including 7th overall. The point being that in the new era of rookie scales, position means less and less than talent level. Tackles, QBs, and WRs are still more important overall IMO but I just don't think coaches look at most positions and rule them out if the player sitting there has what they view as the potential to help them grab the ring.

Fans may disagree with the idea of taking a Guard in the top 5 or 10. But how much of that is our historic view? Coaches and GMs can't afford to rest on that. They have to detail it all out with huge amounts of info that we simply don't have. So while I would agree that it would take a very special talent to warrant taking a Guard top 5 or 10, it is not out of the realm of possibilities that a coach sees a huge improvement for his line and a big time match for his scheme and takes a Guard in that slot. ESPECIALLY if he views that player as their future starting Tackle.

And equating what Weird Al did with Janikowski in the same argument as someone taking a Guard high is a little rich don't you think? At minimum, it is about the rarest exception you can come up with. There are lots of positions that most would not consider taking at the top of the draft. Anymore, Guard isn't necessarily one of them.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
There has to be a cut-off point.

No kicker is going to be perfect but there must be a point where one deserves to be picked in the first round. Especially if, as suggested, the PAT becomes harder to achieve or worth more points in certain situations.
If a guy is perfect on a substantial number of 55 yard+ and even 60 yard+ field goals, I might consider it, sure.

And equating what Weird Al did with Janikowski in the same argument as someone taking a Guard high is a little rich don't you think? At minimum, it is about the rarest exception you can come up with. There are lots of positions that most would not consider taking at the top of the draft. Anymore, Guard isn't necessarily one of them.
But that's not what I did.

I was probing the idea of if there is an elite player, you have to grab him. I fully accepted jrry's explanation of why that's not the same thing.

As to Guard not necessarily being a 2nd tier position anymore... well, I guess we'll see what the Rams do, since I don't see THAT argument leading anywhere. Tell me something though... suppose in addition to tackle, we were also set at guard for now. Would you want to draft Matthews/Robinson high to be a CENTER right now, then maybe tackle (or guard) later?

Also, I am using my authority on this board (that I'm sure I have some... through some complicated loophole... yeah, that's the ticket) to make the rule that we shall never again profane the name of Weird Al Yankovic by using it to describe Al Davis.

One of my two favorite musicians. The other is Meat Loaf.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
By virtue of musical taste - your opinions must, from this day forward, be typed in blue.
Oh, now you diss Meat Loaf?! That's it, I'll be after you like a Bat Out of Hell. You might think I stand no chance, but Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through. I'm serious, The Monster's Loose. I know you're saying that even though you don't like Meat Loaf, you like the Rams and are generally a cool guy, and Two Out of Three Ain't Bad... but you need to know that Objects in the Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are.

Some of you might think I should stop making Meat Loaf song puns... all I can say is that I Would Do Anything For Love, But I Won't Do That.