How much is Le'Veon Bell worth?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Are teams allowed to do that?

There is the risk of him missing a year I think, he already had a 4 game suspension so a season long suspension in next correct?

Or is it 8 games?

It's a year and you can make the contract with incentives and I'm sure they can include a bonus for him playing in 16 games unless injured. That way if hurt, he still gets paid, but if suspended, he gets far less.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
It's funny, how y'all saying Le'Veon Bell shouldn't be paid, but here in Rams land the FO is grilled for letting Janoris Jenkins go in FA and not having Aaron Donald or Trumaine Johnson signed yet.

At some point, if you want to keep your stars, you're gonna have to pony up. You cant say "PAY THE MAN NOWZ!" and go right around and say "HE'S NOT WORTHZ!!!" Then proceed to do another turn and say "OH WHY OH WHY DID THE FO NOT KEEP HIM!!! BOOO HISSS."

Can't have everything.

I think a lot has to do with the positions they play. CB, pass rusher IMO have more value than RB. The thing is also, teams that run effectively in a lot of cases can plug and play multiple players. Look what Denver and KC did for years. Guy does down, backup comes in and performs. Even Pittsburgh was effective with Williams when Bell was out.

I will be interested to see the response from Ram fans when Gurley is due, assuming he bounces back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honest question because I don't know the franchise rules, but what happens if Bell doesn't sign his franchise tender by the 17th or sign long term?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think a lot has to do with the positions they play. CB, pass rusher IMO have more value than RB. The thing is also, teams that run effectively in a lot of cases can plug and play multiple players. Look what Denver and KC did for years. Guy does down, backup comes in and performs. Even Pittsburgh was effective with Williams when Bell was out.

I will be interested to see the response from Ram fans when Gurley is due, assuming he bounces back.

When the scheme changed in Denver, the days of pluggin and playin RBs was over. They have struggled in running the ball lately.

Then you got guys like David Johnson, LeSean Mcoy, etc that are unreal. That includes Le'Veon, and throw in their receiving skills that's a dual threat that scores frequently. Well worth it.

Ask Philly if they want LeSean back. Their best guy right now is Ryan Matthews. :shocking:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Honest question because I don't know the franchise rules, but what happens if Bell doesn't sign his franchise tender by the 17th or sign long term?

He does not get paid and he does not get the year credit for service time is the way I understand it. So in short he has to sign it or he gets nothing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He does not get paid and he does not get the year credit for service time is the way I understand it. So in short he has to sign it or he gets nothing.
So he would have to sit out the year?

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
When the scheme changed in Denver, the days of pluggin and playin RBs was over. They have struggled in running the ball lately.

Then you got guys like David Johnson, LeSean Mcoy, etc that are unreal. That includes Le'Veon, and throw in their receiving skills that's a dual threat that scores frequently. Well worth it.

Ask Philly if they want LeSean back. Their best guy right now is Ryan Matthews. :shocking:

Not exactly, Denver went a couple of years there with Hillman and Anderson and basically had the same stats as Pittsburgh (on average 1700 yards). Last year was the first year there was a drop. I am unsure if there was a scheme change last year. They have had Moreno, Ball, Hillman, Anderson and Booker over the past 5 years with no real defined starter and have average almost exactly what Pittsburgh has in the same time frame.

Dont get me wrong I agree Bell, Johnson and McCoy have special talents and are weapons. But this is still a pass first league and the value at RB is just not as significant as CB and pass rusher which was my original point.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
So he would have to sit out the year?

If he does not sign then yes. Actually, let me correct that. He would have till week 8 to report and sign and lose only money. Thinking back to Logan Mankins in NE which took up hours of talk radio lol. Bell can refuse to sign and then can not sign till like week 1 of the regular season. Each week he would lose pay but if he reports by week 8 or around there he would be able to play for the pro rated tender and not lose a year of service.

sorry for the confusion.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know if Bell is all that or if its blocking. He is so "patient" looking for a hole, I just don't know how that works if the line isn't doing their job.
I find him frustrating to watch

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If he doesn't sign a long term contract by the 17th the Steelers won't be able to sign him long term until after the season.

Then he will wait to sign until he is ready to come to camp. When he's ready he will sign the franchise tender and play the year fully guaranteed.

Tru on the other hand couldn't wait to sign the tender, before they changed their mind and rescinded the offer. He's on the gravy train and he knows it.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bells 157 ypg in 2016 was better than any season Marshall Faulk ever had. Was Marshall Faulk expendable?

Hes special, you pay him.
You are correct, But not by much!!!!!! Marshall Faulk's High was 156.4!
And Marshall did it regularly:
* 1999 - he averaged 86.3 rushing Per game and 65.5 Receiving that's 151.8 per game!
* 2000 - 97.1 rushing / 59.3 Receiving = 156.4 YPG!
* 2001 - 98.7 rushing / 54.6 Receiving = 153.3 YPG!
And this is just 3 out of his 13year career Bell can't touch that so far! And Marshall was like having another Coach on the Field!
To answer you question No he wasn't expendable. But Bell is no Marshall Faulk!

WvuIN02

Starter
You are correct, But not by much!!!!!! Marshall Faulk's High was 156.4!
And Marshall did it regularly:
* 1999 - he averaged 86.3 rushing Per game and 65.5 Receiving that's 151.8 per game!
* 2000 - 97.1 rushing / 59.3 Receiving = 156.4 YPG!
* 2001 - 98.7 rushing / 54.6 Receiving = 153.3 YPG!
And this is just 3 out of his 13year career Bell can't touch that so far! And Marshall was like having another Coach on the Field!
To answer you question No he wasn't expendable. But Bell is no Marshall Faulk!

His first four years he owns the record all-time for a 4 year span for yards from scrimmage/game.
Sorry Dave I love Marshall too, but we are watching history unfold so long as he doesn't get injured.

RK PLAYER SEASONS G YFS YFS/G
1 Le’Veon Bell 2013-16 45 5,782 128.5
2 Edgerrin James 1999-02 52 6,640 127.7
3 Eric Dickerson 1983-86 62 7,842 126.5
4 LaDainian Tomlinson 2001-04 63 7,921 125.7
5 Terrell Davis 1995-98 61 7,594 124.5
6 Marcus Allen 1982-85 57 6,942 121.8
7 Billy Sims 1980-83 52 6,252 120.2
8 Ricky Williams 1999-02 54 6,437 119.2
9 Arian Foster 2009-12 51 6,052 118.7
10 Clinton Portis 2002-05 60 7,059 117.7
11 Jim Brown 1957-60 48 5,642 117.5
12 Adrian Peterson 2007-10 61 6,952 114.0
13 Jamal Lewis 2000-04 60 6,822 113.7
14 Chuck Foreman 1973-76 53 6,009 113.4
15 Walter Payton 1975-78 57 6,427 112.8

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...off-steelers-walkthrough-before-jaguars-loss/

Le'Veon Bell reportedly blew off Steelers' walkthrough before Jaguars loss

The Pittsburgh Steelers' season unexpectedly came to an early conclusion last weekend when they lost -- at home -- to the underdog Jacksonville Jaguars.

Their attention now must turn to the offseason, and surely one of their top priorities will be bringing star running back Le'Veon Bell back into the fold. One issue with that: Bell has zero interest in playing another season on the franchise tag. He said that he would consider sitting out the season or even retiring if he was tagged again. He was apparently pretty unhappy about his contract situation throughout this season, though he did say after the Steelers' season came to an end that he "definitely" wants to be back in Pittsburgh next year. (Some mixed messages there, Le'Veon.)

Before that game, Bell showed his commitment to the team by ... showing up super late to both the pregame walkthrough and the game itself. According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Tomlin wants players and coaches to report to the locker room two hours before kickoff for games. That was continually ignored by both players and a coach or two.

Not only did Bell arrive much later than that for the playoff game against Jacksonville (as well as one coach), he missed practically the entire Saturday walk-through the day before, showing up about five minutes before practice ended.

So, that's not great.

Things definitely need to get worked out between Bell and the team at some point this offseason. It seems unlikely that the Steelers will meet his sky-high asking price of being paid like a No. 1 running back AND No. 2 wide receiver, but maybe they can come to an agreeable deal at some point that makes Bell highly-paid enough where he feels appropriately compensated for his workload and production, but does not cripple the team's cap situation.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not only did Bell arrive much later than that for the playoff game against Jacksonville (as well as one coach), he missed practically the entire Saturday walk-through the day before, showing up about five minutes before practice ended.

Did I miss this discussed somewhere?

That sounds bad on several levels.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Did I miss this discussed somewhere?

That sounds bad on several levels.

It does, and I can't believe they are putting up with this shit. This was the team that cut a Super Bowl MVP (Santonio Holmes) a year after they won it.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The problem in Pittsburgh may be Tomlin.