How much does Shane Waldron change the Seahawks matchup?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Seahawks offense has generally been a conservative one under Pete Carroll. I think at times that has played into the Rams hands.

Over the last 8 games, the Rams hold a 6-2 edge.

With Shane Waldron the new Seattle OC, do they unleash Wilson in some manner? What is unclear is how much of the Rams offense Waldron intends to bring.

If things don’t meet Wilson’s expectations... does this have the making of a Rodgers-like stand off between Wilson and Carroll in 2022?

Ranking the significance of the Seahawks offseason moves​

Seahawks draft picks 2021:

• Round 2, Pick No. 56: D'Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan
  • Round 4, Pick No. 137: Tre Brown, CB, Oklahoma
  • Round 6, Pick No. 208: Stone Forsythe, OT, Florida

2021 NFL Free Agency

We’re a week into the NFL’s new league year, and it has been a productive seven days for the Seattle Seahawks. Despite operating with minimal cap space, Seattle managed to address nearly all of its most significant roster holes to varying degrees.
Below is a ranking of each addition in order of significance.
Note: This has been updated following the addition of Carlos Dunlap on Thursday evening.

13. OT Cedric Ogbuehi

This is a very similar situation to Simmons. Ogbuehi started four games in 2020 and rebounded nicely after a brutal performance against Philadelphia last November. He closed the season with impressive showings against Washington, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Having known commodities as depth pieces on the roster has its value.

12. Jordan Simmons

Simmons started six games in place of Mike Iupati last season and also filled in for a few series at a time in almost every contest. He showed enough to deserve a spot on next year’s roster. You could do much worse than Simmons for depth at guard.

11. DT Al Woods

We didn't have to wait 24 hours to find out who the Seahawks would target at defensive tackle to replace Jarran Reed.
Woods appeared in 14 games for the Seahawks in 2019 before opting out of the 2020 season. He isn't the pass rusher that Reed is, but between Bryan Mone, Cedric Lattimore and Woods, the Seahawks may be able to play Poona Ford at 3-tech more frequently to better tap into his pass rush ability.

10. DE Benson Mayowa

Mayowa is a perfectly suitable rotational pass rusher and a wonderful veteran presence in the Seahawks locker room. He posted 6.0 sacks in 2020 and played his best ball in the second half of the season, notably once Carlos Dunlap entered the lineup. This move wasn’t a surprise to anybody as Pete Carroll shared immediately after the season that the team would love to have Mayowa back in 2021.

9. C Ethan Pocic

Pocic showed enough in his first season as a starter to warrant his one-year, $3 million deal. His play tapered off toward the end of the year, an indication that he may have hit a wall. The continued progression of Damien Lewis and arrival of Gabe Jackson should help Pocic as well if he indeed retains the starting center job.
There’s still a chance that the Seahawks use their second-round pick on an interior offensive lineman.

8. CB Ahkello Witherspoon

Witherspoon has immense physical talent, headlined by his quick feet and 6-foot-2 frame. But there’s no denying that his time in San Francisco was turbulent. The third-round pick in 2017 was benched on multiple occasions, most notably during the 49ers Super Bowl run in 2019. He was a healthy scratch on occasion and was regularly in Kyle Shanahan’s doghouse.
Witherspoon showed some promise at the end of the 2020 season with a PFF score of at least 77.0 in three-straight games to close the year. Maybe a change of scenery will serve him well. He’s a cheap flier on a one-year, $4 million deal, but Seahawks fans expecting him to replace Shaquill Griffin or become the next D.J. Reed should temper expectations.

7. DT Poona Ford

The reason why Ford is ranked below Carson is because I didn’t expect Carson to return whereas Ford was never going anywhere as a restricted free agent. Ford is a more valuable piece to Seattle’s future, especially if he continues to contribute as a pass rusher. He posted a career-high 2.0 sacks in 2020 and was arguably the team’s most improved defensive player year-over-year.
Ford should be a cornerstone piece on Seattle’s defensive line for years to come, even though his new contract extension is just for two years.

6. RB Chris Carson

Carson got his desired pay day with a contract that maxes out at more than $14 million, and the Seahawks were able to keep his 2021 cap number to just $2.5 million. That’s the definition of a win-win, and it’s also an indictment of sorts against Rashaad Penny, who Seattle clearly doesn’t believe in to be the team’s lead back.
Carson is one of the league’s most punishing runners and is an underrated pass catcher. Everyone should be eager to see his usage in Waldron’s scheme behind what should be an improved offensive line.

5. TE Gerald Everett

Seattle gave Everett a one-year, $6 million prove-it deal to showcase that he still has untapped potential. Everett’s single-season career-highs are 417 receiving yards and three touchdowns. Those modest numbers are hardly worth celebrating, but Everett’s 6-foot-3 frame and tantalizing athletic profile make him worthy of a low-cost flier.
The Seahawks will hope Everett can provide some much-needed YAC ability with speed to be a seam stretcher as well. The bar for free agent tight ends is fairly low after Greg Olsen posted just 24 catches for 239 yards and one touchdown in 2020 on a similar contract.
Waldron surely gave the green light for Seattle to sign Everett which should give fans some confidence in the move. Will Dissly and, to a lesser degree, Colby Parkinson are likely to have roles as well in another three-man rotation at tight end.

4. DE Kerry Hyder

Landing both Kerry Hyder and Carlos Dunlap was a huge win for the Seahawks, even though it cost them Jarran Reed.
Hyder posted 8.5 sacks in 2020 for the 49ers after being thrust into an every down role due to the notable injuries along San Francisco's defensive line, headlined by Nick Bosa.
Hyder should predominantly play the 5-tech, especially in pass rush situations. He serves as a value signing with solid upside as a player with a strong motor and fantastic hands.
His two best seasons, including his 8.0 sacks in 2016, came under defensive line coach Kris Kocurek. Seattle is banking on its ability to get similar production out of him in 2021.

3. G Gabe Jackson

This is a mix of filling a glaring void and acquiescing to Wilson’s public requests for improved pass protection. In a thin guard market, Seattle sent a fifth-round pick to Las Vegas in exchange for Jackson. The Seahawks are on the hook for $9.5 million for the next two years, an expensive yet worthwhile investment in a veteran guard that should be able to stabilize the offensive line.
Jackson played all 16 games in 2020, and Seattle will be relying on that clean bill of health this season. Jackson should prove to be valuable for Damien Lewis’ growth and could help Ethan Pocic in (potentially) his second season as a starter. The Seahawks needed to make at least one splash addition along the offensive line, and Jackson checks that box.

2. DE Carlos Dunlap

We've spent months discussing how Carlos Dunlap was the catalyst for the pass rush's extreme turnaround in the second half of 2020.
He produced in clutch moments while making others around him better.
John Schneider worked his magic by unloading Dunlap's $14.1 million cap number, only to get him back at $8.3 million over the next two seasons. Seattle didn't incur a single dollar of dead money in the process.
The Seahawks top pass rush group should consist of Dunlap, Hyder, L.J. Collier and Poona Ford. That's a pretty impressive group, especially if Collier can prove to be similarly productive to Reed.
There's quality depth behind those four with the likes of Benson Mayowa, Alton Robinson, Darrell Taylor, Rasheem Green, Bryan Mone and Cedric Lattimore.

1. OC Shane Waldron

Even with the addition of Dunlap, I still think Shane Waldron deserves the top spot in these rankings. Remember, Seattle had Dunlap last season and still lost in the first round of the playoffs. It'll be Waldron who needs to help get the offense over the hump, regardless of what's happening on defense.
Waldron and his offensive scheme will ideally provide layers of ingenuity and newness that will get Russell Wilson and Co. back on track following a poor second half of 2020. It will be Waldron’s responsibility to get the most out of Wilson while potentially unlocking elements of the QB’s game we’ve yet to see.
Manufacturing easy completions for Wilson will be crucial if Waldron is going to get his new franchise signal-caller comfortable in any sort of short and intermediate passing game. That element was sorely lacking from Seattle’s aerial attack in 2020.
Waldron is the ultimate wild card when trying to forecast how Seattle will fare next season.

OC Waldron: Approach 'in alignment' with Carroll

SEATTLE -- During his introductory news conference Tuesday, new Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Shane Waldron sounded a lot like the head coach who just hired him.

He said his offensive approach starts with the belief that it's "all about the ball," a go-to phrase of Pete Carroll's that emphasizes the importance of winning the turnover battle. He made several mentions of his desire for offensive balance and one about playing complementary football, two more Carroll favorites.

It's no wonder the Seahawks tabbed Waldron to replace Brian Schottenheimer, whose clashing with Carroll led the team to announce last month that he would not return after three seasons because of "philosophical differences."

"That was really, in my opinion, what was so natural about the interview process, was that there was so much philosophical alignment between he and I," Waldron said. "I had mentioned this to him: It wasn't like an interview where you're trying to sell yourself to win the job in any sort of sales pitch. It was a conversation, and it was a football discussion that had so many things in alignment that it felt just like a natural progression as we got to know each other and talk through things. So, so many of those things were just naturally in alignment, and that's where I think I felt really good about the process."

As much as Carroll and Waldron found themselves on the same page as they spoke via phone, FaceTime and Zoom over the course of several days, Carroll didn't arrive at his decision alone. Quarterback Russell Wilson made it clear he wanted to be involved in the hiring process -- and he was. A source told ESPN that Waldron was among the candidates Wilson was most fond of during the two-week search and that the quarterback was excited over the hire.

Jake Heaps, Wilson's personal quarterback coach and a co-host on 710 ESPN Seattle, called Waldron the "perfect mesh" of what Carroll and Wilson want in their new OC.

"I had the great chance to get to know him as a person," Waldron said of his conversations with Wilson both during the interview process and since. "[We] talked a lot about our families and just really getting to know each other more as people because I do think the football part of it, that's going to be an important part of it when the time is right, but our conversations really have centered around just who we are as people because you're in a room with some guys for a lot of hours every day when that season gets rolling. ... He seems like he has this unrelenting desire to be better, to be the best that he can be, so I think when we started talking about those things, that's where it was some really fun conversations."

Waldron's coaching career has included college stints at Notre Dame and UMass, one year in the UFL and NFL jobs with the New England Patriots and Washington Football Team before his four-year run with the Los Angeles Rams. He said he took things from each stop to build an offensive philosophy centered around three things: protecting the ball, fundamentals and balance.

"I think the great part about Russell Wilson within this system is he does have an ability to do a lot of different things, and just because I'm saying that it's a balanced attack doesn't mean that that's a conservative attack," he said. "I don't ever want to get that confused."

What wasn't clear from Waldron's first comments to Seattle-area reports was how much of the Rams' offense will be what he brings in versus what the Seahawks were already doing.

"I have a core set of beliefs that I'm going to stick to, but we're going to build this thing together," he said. "I think that the one thing with Russell and with the rest of the players that are on this team, they have a great foundation and they have won a lot of football games together, so will there be parts of stuff that carries over? Absolutely, because there's been some great things they've done in the past."

Waldron called Sean McVay a friend and mentor while saying the Rams' head coach has been instrumental in helping him get to where he's gotten. Waldron spent the past three seasons as Los Angeles' passing-game coordinator and said he wore various hats in that role, including being responsible for certain situational aspects of games, helping with game-planning and being on the headsets with McVay. Waldron also held the title of QB coach in 2019.

One thing he didn't do: call plays. McVay handled those duties with the Rams. Waldron has not done so in college or the NFL, at least not in an actual game.

"It's a great challenge, and it's a challenge that I've been preparing for my whole life," he said. "So I think it's one of those things that I'm ready to get going with and excited to attack that opportunity. I've learned a ton from Sean along the way. With that play-calling experience, he's allowed me the opportunity to do it in different settings, whether it's the preseason or scrimmages or practices. So I've had a little hand in it that way knowing that's obviously not the real deal and there is going to be that opportunity here coming up.

"I'm a guy that likes to prepare. I want to be organized, I want to have that really consistent approach, and in my mind, that preparation began a long time ago and I can't wait for this chance to go ahead and do it."

Waldron is bringing one assistant with him from Los Angeles in Andy Dickerson, who will be Seattle's run-game coordinator. That position was vacant with Brennan Carroll leaving Seattle's staff to be the offensive coordinator at the University of Arizona. Waldron said that when Carroll asked him if he wanted to bring anyone with him who could help with the transition, his first thought was Dickerson, who spent nine seasons as the Rams' assistant offensive-line coach. He and Waldron were college teammates at Tufts University.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I was never overly impressed with Shane Waldron, Petey Carroll keeps trying to hire Ram offensive coaches Brian Schottenheimer & now Shane "Barney" Waldron, well, Petey, I wish you as much success with Shane as you had with Brian.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Someone's gonna have to fetch coffee now when the Rams' coaches are gameplanning.

oldnotdead

Legend
First and foremost Shane wants to be a HC in the NFL at some point. If he crushes it as an OC he will get offers. To that end he also knows that his time with McVay is an important part of his resume. He will try to exploit that part by incorporating some of McVay's offense and that in my opinion is a huge reason he was hired.

Don't be surprised if he incorporates a lot of the "eye candy" aspects of McVay's offense. Also, I would think he would also incorporate the layered receiver concept that McVay favors. Remember he was also the passing game coordinator. I would expect a different offensive look from the Hawks this year.

More dangerously, he knows the weaknesses of the Ram's especially at RT where Dunlap already owns Havenstein. Don't be fooled by PFF, Havenstein is the weak link and Waldron knows it. That said his impact will be mitigated in a large extent by a new QB, Tutu and Harris and Hopkins who will change the scheme somewhat.

But people need to remember it's one thing to have a coach who knows the opposition, it's quite another thing for that team to have the players to counter the opposition. IMO Seattle is still the primary opposition for the Rams until Lance makes his presence felt. People think the Niners have the Rams number. I don't simply because they won't be able to confuse a young QB defensively into making mistakes or holding the ball too long. The Rams killed themselves as much as anything the Niners did. This really is a different team this year. It is the Ram defense's turn to confuse the Niner QB and make him gunshy with their pass rush. If Lewis can stay healthy and J. Williams can step up like I think he can, the Rams will only need to rush 4 to get pressure on the QB in most games. Lewis and perhaps J. Williams can give them something they have lacked, i.e. speed off both edges with speed and power inside with AD and Robinson.

I will be interesting to see if Morris uses an alignment that Wade many times used which was two edges with two 3T's. That second 3T can be Gaines or Hoecht. That would leave Reeder to cover both A gaps which he has the speed and quickness as well as power to do.

It's going to be a very interesting year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Rams are a meritocracy. He wasn't "fired" but his performance led to more influx of offensive minds and he sort of got benched in the background. I think the Seahawks went after the wrong guy which tbh is par for the course for Pete.

It's funny how this board could have saved Pete a lot of frustration with his last two hires IMO. Schotty was a guy we knew well. And this one will go similarly in fact I think Schotty was a better hire than Waldron.

Seahawks will still put up points because they're loaded with talent. But they'll come up short vs the best opponents because they give up a schematic edge in those matchups.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don’t see DK as a fit in the Rams offense. Maybe he’d be the speed guy but then why did they need Eskridge. If Lockett plays Woods role who plays Kupps? Swain?
Maybe Pete brought Everett in to help with the transition. I’m not so sure that will work because Everett didn’t always appear to know the plays called.

I didn’t like them signing Dunlap relatively cheap and adding Hyder is a big plus for them. The Shehawks Oline doesn’t scare me at all and Wilson will still need throwing lanes to see his receivers. Will that work with quick timing routes?

oldnotdead

Legend
Stop and look at the way McVay layers his receivers on designed rollouts. When Wilson rolls out it's normally as an escape from pocket pressure. I think Waldron will scheme in designed rollouts with his receivers layered the same way McVay used it with Goff. That will make Metcalf, Lockett, Fuller, and Everett more dangerous. If used properly, I can see Everett being a very good addition to the Hawks. They already have a decent TE in Dissly and Everett has decent speed and can play out of the slot as well as a TE. Waldron needed Everett because Seattle lacked a TE with speed. He has given Wilson a TE that can be used in the same way Higbee is in LA. Seattle has a good possession type slot receiver in Aaron Fuller, who is quick, with decent long speed but more importantly good hands.

Yes, the Hawk weakness still appears to be their o-line, but they have an elite QB, strong run attack, and now a competent OC who can potentially get their passing game on track. Brian Schottenheimer is a fraud living off his father's name. In Waldron, the Hawks now have a decent OC who was mentored by McVay. I for one won't underestimate his potential impact, particularly over the long run. If they upgrade their o-line their offense could be very dangerous. But right now I think their Achilles heel remains their defense which IMO doesn't match up well with the Ram offense.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Pete's Ultimate admission that he has been out coached by the Rams
Let's hire their coach to get an inside track on McVay.

Ram65

Legend
Stop and look at the way McVay layers his receivers on designed rollouts. When Wilson rolls out it's normally as an escape from pocket pressure. I think Waldron will scheme in designed rollouts with his receivers layered the same way McVay used it with Goff. That will make Metcalf, Lockett, Fuller, and Everett more dangerous. If used properly, I can see Everett being a very good addition to the Hawks. They already have a decent TE in Dissly and Everett has decent speed and can play out of the slot as well as a TE. Waldron needed Everett because Seattle lacked a TE with speed. He has given Wilson a TE that can be used in the same way Higbee is in LA. Seattle has a good possession type slot receiver in Aaron Fuller, who is quick, with decent long speed but more importantly good hands.

Nice call, I can see Waldon going with the McVay layer WR plays. The way Wilson throws on the move plus the poor offensive line play it's a natural scheme fit.

Everett will give them another good option with 12P. He move blocks better than given credit for. He also got open often. I really wish he went someplace else. As stated before it will be interesting to see how he does with the Hags. It will also be interesting to see how Waldron does this year. I'm sure both will be going all out against the Rams.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
This a valid question. Their shitty basic offense has potential now and Waldron can even help the Seagulls D. It's going to be interesting what happens this year

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t spend a lot of time watching the hag offense but what if Carroll’s offense isn’t the issue in Seattle, what if it’s Russell? He’s one of the most sacked qbs in the league every year and it’s the oline or the system, well what if it’s the qb. Goff was taking too many sacks so they changed the offense to help him and it didn’t. McVay decides Goff’s not capable of doing what he needs him to do.
Maybe Wilson can’t run their offense the way Pete would like, last year they let Russ cook til he started the kitchen on fire. I don’t get the feeling that Pete is just gonna hand over the offense to an unproven guy who’s never called plays.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One thing he didn't do: call plays. McVay handled those duties with the Rams. Waldron has not done so in college or the NFL, at least not in an actual game.

I found this interesting. I didn’t know this.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
At first, I didn't like Seattle hiring Waldron, but the more I think about it, it doesn't bother me as much. McVay will be able to get inside his head after watching film, and will able to give Morris the heads up. I also think this is the rare occurrence where having a new defensive coordinator will help out. Waldron is going to be on an island over there, and he isn't going to get any closer to beating us, I think.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Seattle fans were a little iffy on Waldron. They pretty much had no problem with the hire of Waldron. But they feel Carroll will just handcuff him like he did the others. Most posters on their board think Carroll is the problem.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Seattle fans were a little iffy on Waldron. They pretty much had no problem with the hire of Waldron. But they feel Carroll will just handcuff him like he did the others. Most posters on their board think Carroll is the problem.

That's exactly my thought. Carroll, for all of his rah-rah, gum-chewing bullshit, is a control freak like Fisher with his offense; people he hires run it his way.

I hope he never learns that lesson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It looks like they plan to incorporate some of the Rams playbook.

Pete Carroll says intricate and precise offense drew him to Shane Waldron - ProFootballTalk​

The rookie mini-camp held by the Seattle Seahawks was the first chance for head coach Pete Carroll to work through practices with the team’s new offensive coordinator Shane Waldron.

Waldron was hired in January to replace Brian Schottenheimer, who exited the role after three seasons with the team as Carroll cited philosophical differences in how to move the offense forward.

Carroll spoke about the things Waldron brings to the table with his offensive approach that appealed to him in the interview process.

“It’s very intricate and very precise,” Carroll said. “It’s beautifully thought out. It’s got such a complementary makeup to it, that’s why I fell in love with what he was bringing. It really makes sense. It’s really smart. Our guys have to work really hard at the discipline to execute it in the right manner. There’s a lot of terminology. It won’t look as much different as it sounds to us because the system that we’re putting in to make sure that we can utilize all of the variations and the complements that are packed in here. It’s not a simple offense at all.”

As when the team moved from Darrell Bevell to Schottenheimer after the 2017 season, there is a large chunk of playbook that Russell Wilson is successful with that will carry over into the scheme. But there’s a reason Carroll wanted to shake things up on offense after the unit cratered in production the second half of last season.

Carroll has had to watch and try to stop the offensive attack Waldron was previously a part of while he served as the passing game coordinator under Sean McVay with the Los Angeles Rams. The change in coordinator, the signing of tight end Gerald Everett from the Rams, and the selection of wide receiver D’Wayne Eskridge in the second round of the NFL Draft are a part of the measures the Seahawks have taken to solve their second half woes from a year ago.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, Pete keeps putting his stock into Rams OC who didnt cut it. I wonder who was next on the list? Pat Shurmer? Al Saunders?