How Much Damage Can Aaron Donald Do as a Rookie?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I love AD's potential as well but it sure seems that many (I've been guilty as well) are heaping expectations on him. He very well may live up to those lofty expectations but if he somehow does not I hope he's not viewed harshly for not setting the world on fire as a rookie.

Are we already calling Donald, AD? :D

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Was I the only one hoping, wishing, and praying that Aaron Donald would be passed over from picks 3 to 12?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am excited about the kid. i have seen the highlight reels like everyone else, and have heard how advanced his "hands" are when shedding blocks.....But slow your roll, folks!;) We heard how advanced the handwork of a different DT named Adam Carriker back in the day. I am expecting/hoping great things from Donald...I AM EXCITED about him, but feel more cautious.....He is a rookie after all...

BD-TomCat

Rookie
We Played Carriker out of position. Donald will be playing a position he is used to. He also has the benefit of playing with 3 studs. Brockers,Quinn, Long Brockers and Quinn Demand double teams so Donald should excel in his first year against one Blocker.

crazyhorns

Rookie
Watt wasn't even that impressive his rookie year, though, I'd set Donald's bar a little bit higher, personally.

that is my point. We should not set the bar too high for this kid. 5.5 sacks and 45 tackles would be a good rookie year. If he does more great but I'm not going to expect much more.

Go Rams

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I love AD's potential as well but it sure seems that many (I've been guilty as well) are heaping expectations on him. He very well may live up to those lofty expectations but if he somehow does not I hope he's not viewed harshly for not setting the world on fire as a rookie.

Well said.

DT is generally a "slow transition" position from college to the NFL.

Rams fans gotta stay grounded.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Aaron will cause some serious Paradigm shifts for the 9ers, Seahawks & Cards this season. Major damage can be attained if the Rams DL can destroy the center of that QB pocket along with the collapses of the exterior wings of the pocket.

Fisher has a great like for large tall DT's for a very long long time now current DT's are ...Langford 6-6/315, Brockers 6-5/325...Conrath 6-7/311 pounder.. Snead & Fisher have also undergone a Paradign Shift of sort with the signing & entry of two super quick smaller talented DT's in Aaron Donald 6-1 285 & Ethan Westbrooks 6-3 270 along with the slimmer cat quick 6-5/300 talented Alex Carrington for the super aggressive Gregg Williams?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Donald alone would be a upgrade as an interior pass rusher. However, Donald with Greg Williams could be a double digit sack guy immediately.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Don't care for numbers his rookie year. I care for development. I hope by say, October he becomes a full time starting DT.

Over his career I'd say his path is Geno Atkins/Gerald McCoy.

…..

Legend
Donald wont have a huge impact as a rookie. I'm using Michael Brockers as the bar here.

We shouldnt expect anything earth shattering coming from a guy whose main focus will be group and package related rather than individual.

I'm expecting something in the range of 38 tackles and 4.5 sacks

jjab360

Legend
Donald wont have a huge impact as a rookie. I'm using Michael Brockers as the bar here.

We shouldnt expect anything earth shattering coming from a guy whose main focus will be group and package related rather than individual.

I'm expecting something in the range of 38 tackles and 4.5 sacks
Except Brockers was crazy raw coming out and had something like 3 career sacks at LSU. Donald had 28.5 sacks and is ridiculously polished. The fact that Brockers was as effective as he was his rookie year was impressive itself, but Donald should be on another level, barring injury.