How Much Damage Can Aaron Donald Do as a Rookie?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
How much damage can Aaron Donald do as a rookie?

By Tevin Broner
Jeff Curry-USA TODAY Sport

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/7/3/5857044/rams-2014-roster-review-aaron-donald

The St. Louis Rams surprised many when they drafted Aaron Donald in the first round of the NFL Draft this May. Even before the draft started the best position group on the Rams roster was their defensive line, and although drafting Donald wasn't the Rams biggest need, they chose him anyway.

The former University of Pittsburgh defensive tackle was hailed as the second-best defensive lineman in the draft during the process. He was a force in his senior season with 28.5 tackles for loss, 11 sacks and four forced fumbles.

Let's look at his combine numbers. He ran a 4.68 in the 40 yard dash and did 35 reps on the bench, top five results in both of categories. His pass rushing ability was the talk of the town, which is something that is pretty rare among defensive tackles. Donald uses his quick first step, speed, and technique to beat opposing offensive linemen again and again.

The biggest issues against Donald revolves around his small stature. Donald is 6-foot-1, and under 300 pounds, which is pretty small compared to other defensive tackles. You have to question his ability to play the run and stuff the hole as well because of how small he is.
Expectations this season

Drafting Donald was a smart move by the Rams, and there's no pressure to rush him into a starting role. Donald will be a big part of the Rams defensive line, but there's no reason for the Rams to start him since they have Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford already starting at defensive tackle.

Since the Rams rotate their defensive line so much, it doesn't matter if Donald is classified as a starter, he will have his share of snaps. It wouldn't be a surprise to see the Rams play Donald mainly on third-downs, or long yardage situations, at least for this season. This will allow Donald more time to adjust to the NFL, the Rams used a similar strategy with Robert Quinn when he was a rookie, and that worked out pretty well.

I have high expectations for Donald, I expect him to get some tackles for loss, and have more than seven sacks his rookie year. I would also like to see him disrupt the backfield and bring runners down. Donald is the best interior pass rusher the Rams have and if he can play to his potential, the rest of the defensive line should play better.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I love AD's potential as well but it sure seems that many (I've been guilty as well) are heaping expectations on him. He very well may live up to those lofty expectations but if he somehow does not I hope he's not viewed harshly for not setting the world on fire as a rookie.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I love AD's potential as well but it sure seems that many (I've been guilty as well) are heaping expectations on him. He very well may live up to those lofty expectations but if he somehow does not I hope he's not viewed harshly for not setting the world on fire as a rookie.

Agreed, but he could not have come to better place to shine for his 1st year. If he went to another team, likelihood is that he's a starter rather than in on passing downs. For a rookie that's a lot of pressure and snaps.
Being used in a rotation with carington and Langford means he can excel in small bursts, and he'll pretty much always be 1-1 with the guard as one of Quinn long and brockers will be double teamed..
He'll beast this year

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
8 sacks, a bunch of tackles for a loss, maybe 3 FF.
He makes Long and Quinn better.
Long and Quinn make him better.

jjab360

Legend
I'm willing to stick my neck out there and say that Donald is going to be an absolute monster from the very start. Unmatched physical attributes (not an exaggeration), an already polished playing style, one of the best DL coaches in the league, and an amazing DL around him to take the pressure off and reduce the number of double teams.

Do I smell a pro bowl?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I'm willing to stick my neck out there and say that Donald is going to be an absolute monster from the very start. Unmatched physical attributes (not an exaggeration), an already polished playing style, one of the best DL coaches in the league, and an amazing DL around him to take the pressure off and reduce the number of double teams.

Do I smell a pro bowl?
Perhaps, and DROY?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title

Do I smell a pro bowl?

The more I watched him, plus when I saw some tape of him at the senior bowl, I was like wow..... I am curious to see if he's really that quick & strong. Can he do that to grown, ass men? The first pre-season game will tell a lot about him....

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Donald reminds me of D'Marco Farr, but already more polished coming in. I think he will have a fine career. But just how good? Well only time will tell.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My best guess; after a slow start, 45 tackles-5 sacks-4 forced fumbles. and I hope I'm way off!:D

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
DROY isn't out of the question. Unless Clowney plays to the best of his abilities.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
O.M.G

The impact of Donald could be parrallel to Faulk's impact on the GSOT. Donald 1-on-1 with the RG and Quinn/Long blasting the edges will hold tremendous stay power through the years. The GSOT is back, but "Pass RUSH" is the theme.

Fearsome Foursome 2.0

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
judging by the "cat who just ate the canary"look that fisher gets every time Donald name is mentioned.I wouldn't be surprised at a 8 sack rookie campaign.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
17.5 TFL
7.5 Sacks
5 FF
4 Pass Blocks.
2nd in ROY voting (don't have a clue whose 1st.... yea I'm guessing)

BIG FATTY on the OL, BIG SHORT FATTY on the DL...I'm a happy F'ing camper!!!

And my first name is Aaron.... Shut the FRONT DOOR!!!!
NOW HIT SOMEBODY!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he gets double digit sacks with all the attention Quinn and company will draw away from him.

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
Somebody is going to have a pro bowl year. Depends on who you double team or who's one on one, Rookie shouldn't get that much coverage with all the other talent. He's in a good situiation to shine. And he will!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I don't think Donald sets the world on fire his first season anywhere else.

I think his addition allows the Rams line to set the world on fire.

Game 1 and game 16 may be night and day for Donald, which is perfect. It's time to make the Seahawks fans complain about game 16 every season for awhile.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't think Donald sets the world on fire his first season anywhere else.

I think his addition allows the Rams line to set the world on fire.

Game 1 and game 16 may be night and day for Donald, which is perfect. It's time to make the Seahawks fans complain about game 16 every season for awhile.
And then we will see how many Players we get in the TOP 100 Poll! ( prediction = 15 ):D