How much better are we?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
For the record I fully support the the trade for Goff. Could we have nabbed two starters in the 2nd and a possible third in the 3rd? Sure. But I do believe that having a QB is pretty much the main thing all postseason teams have in common. A great/elite QB can even keep a possible non-playoff team in the hunt when they have no business being there (ie Aaron Rodgers).

BUT my question for you guys:

Is our team better/more talented than it was last year (outside of the QB position)?

Here's my opinion position by position thoughts:

RB: Better (progression)
WR: Incomplete (need to draft WR and/or add vet)
TE: Incomplete (see WR)
OL: Better (progression)
DL: Worse (lost depth of Long & Fairley)
LB: Worse (lost depth of JL & Bates)
DB: Worse (lost key starters JJ & McLeod)

Obviously some of these situations can change after tomorrow in round 4-7 & UDFA, but we can COUNT on any of the players acquired tomorrow to become starters. I'd like to see some vets added at WR, TE, LB, DT, & S; but again they can't expect to be more than stopgap starters at best.

I do believe we have a better shot at the playoffs with a special talent at QB, the position we haven't had above average play at since Marc Bulger. But one can't deny we're arguably a worse team outside of the QB position.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Depends on injuries. Here is a list of players (still on the team) who missed the season or multiple games with injuries last year:
Robert Quinn
Alec Ogletree
E.J. Gaines
Todd Gurley
Rodger Saffold
Jamon Brown
T.J. McDonald
Rob Havenstein

So it'll depend on how injuries treat us. Quinn was a MAJOR loss. If we don't lose one of our top players in 2016, that will change things in a big way.

But I'll say right now that Goff, alone, will make a HUGE difference. If we look at the rest of the team:
HB: Better (Gurley is healthy)
WR: Same
TE: Same (Losing Cook is a net neutral imo)
OL: Better
DL: Better (Quinn is healthy)
LB: Better (Ogletree + Barron > Laurinaitis + Barron imo)
DB: Worse

But again, it will depend on who gets injured.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@jrry32 what would be your dream scenario tomorrow to address our positions of need? Could we potential starting talent at WR and/or TE?

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
For the record I fully support the the trade for Goff. Could we have nabbed two starters in the 2nd and a possible third in the 3rd? Sure. But I do believe that having a QB is pretty much the main thing all postseason teams have in common. A great/elite QB can even keep a possible non-playoff team in the hunt when they have no business being there (ie Aaron Rodgers).

Is our team better/more talented than it was last year (outside of the QB position)?

Obviously some of these situations can change after tomorrow in round 4-7 & UDFA, but we can COUNT on any of the players acquired tomorrow to become starters. I'd like to see some vets added at WR, TE, LB, DT, & S; but again they can't expect to be more than stopgap starters at best.

I do believe we have a better shot at the playoffs with a special talent at QB, the position we haven't had above average play at since Marc Bulger. But one can't deny we're arguably a worse team outside of the QB position.

LB: How are we worse off at linebacker? Barron has progressed into a playmaker and Ogletree will be back and healthy. Backups can still be found in the draft and free agency.

DL: We will be getting Quinn back this year so I'd say the starting D-line will be much better. We don't have as much depth on the defensive line but I have a feeling that will be addressed to some extent in the draft.

WR/TE: Incomplete? Do you think that those groups will get worse before the start of the season? Chances are good that Fisher gets a WR and a TE tomorrow so that immediately makes the group better.

Also understand, an upgrade at QB is worth a lot more than an upgrade anywhere else. Our receivers will suddenly "get better" just by having a legit QB who can get them the ball on time and accurately. And don't forget, no matter what anyone else says, Gurley was never 100% last year. Wait till you see what a healthy TG3 can do, especially with a decent passing game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 what would be your dream scenario tomorrow to address our positions of need? Could we potential starting talent at WR and/or TE?

Is it possible? Sure. My dream scenario would be something like this:
4th - Pharoh Cooper WR South Carolina
4th - Scooby Wright III LB Arizona
5th (Foles Trade) - Mike Thomas WR Southern Miss
6th - Dan Vitale TE/FB Northwestern
6th - Evan Boehm C Missouri

But that's a dream.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LB: How are we worse off at linebacker? Barron has progressed into a playmaker and Ogletree will be back and healthy. Backups can still be found in the draft and free agency.

DL: We will be getting Quinn back this year so I'd say the starting D-line will be much better. We don't have as much depth on the defensive line but I have a feeling that will be addressed to some extent in the draft.

WR/TE: Incomplete? Do you think that those groups will get worse before the start of the season? Chances are good that Fisher gets a WR and a TE tomorrow so that immediately makes the group better.

Also understand, an upgrade at QB is worth a lot more than an upgrade anywhere else. Our receivers will suddenly "get better" just by having a legit QB who can get them the ball on time and accurately. And don't forget, no matter what anyone else says, Gurley was never 100% last year. Wait till you see what a healthy TG3 can do, especially with a decent passing game.

I stand corrected on LB starters being worse, but the DEPTH is what concerns me. As it stands right now our backups have 0 NFL experience. I'm also concerned with our depth at DT. Who do we have to give Donald & Brock a blow? Ethan Westbrooks? We need a big body that can eat up space to prevent teams from gashing us up the middle when Brockers is out; not to mention Tree is no thumper by any means.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

But that's a dream.

I'd be pretty happy with that

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The OP is right, he is a day too soon making this thread.

This draft will finally offer multiple players tomorrow to be fielded outside of the most important position in years to be settled with what should be our permanent 'franchise' starting QB. I, for one, didn't believe the Rams would be capable of moving up to the 1'st pick, just thought it too expensive, but they managed to get it done. Without doubt, this was our most needed upgrade, and makes us instantly better. For Day 3 of the draft, we get to add 4 new players, so merging BPA and need becomes supremely important for a team with exposed depth issues. We'll also need some time prior to grading these changes.

QB - Better
RB - Better, as Gurley will start on game 1 with a mostly young, healthy, developing OL.
OL - Better, with earned experience and more development.
WR - Equal to or better than last year, i'll tell you after round 6.

TE - Same. Cook was improving as a blocker, but dropped too many potential receptions, we'll know more after tomorrow.

DL - Better. Quinn returns, Donald is another year developed, our new rotational LDE can't be any worse than an unhealthy Chris Long. Fairley is the only question and I liked what little I saw from Doug Worthington, … if he and Trinca-Pasat are ready, we'll be fine.

LB - Better. Ogletree will be an improvement over Laurinaitis and Barron made Will his last season. We could use some depth here.

CB - Same. From what I saw of Gaines in 2014, if he's healthy I don't believe we miss a beat.

S - Worse. My only downgrade due to the loss of McLeod. Again, we'll know more tomorrow.

Tomorrow's hopes :

Round 4 :

WR - Rashard Higgins
TE - Jerell Adams

Round 6 :

FS - Tyvis Powell
LB - Nick Kwiatkowski or DE - Anthony Zettel

jmo.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

We had to move on with Long and Cook. We added Coples and Fairley was not all that really for his paycheck. Why do you not think Hager from Baylor won't step up if Tree needs a breather. Kid is no joke. He may earn his way this camp and Lynch can fill also hits a ton on ST's. I also like Longacre and our finds at DT that just need the usual Pro weight training and beefing up. Our LSU DT did not come that way either. Yes DB may be an issue yet I think Sensabaugh and our rookie back healthy will fill at Cb and I being right here at FSU still think we picked our future FS in the second round 2 years ago. I think Joyner is finally ready as many disagree. I really believe he has what it takes except he can grow any taller is his biggest detractor. He can thump and just plain tackle. What we pick up from 4TH round through UDFA will be key for depth and pass catchers to develop.Marquez needs to come along fast. Accurate throws will help emensely. Need at least one TE project and maybe a Center to challenge at least. Deepest DT group in long time ,Snead WILL get us a very Big boy in there. Just watch. Maybe not SB yet but a real team like we have'nt seen in many,many a year.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
QB play and non-divisional games have been the critical issues. QB play will improve. As for the other....it's inexplicable and borderline inexcusable. Look at the records of divisional gm's vs non-divisional under Fisher. This has nothing to do with team talent. Once this gets fixed we'll be a perennial playoff team.

TexasRam

Legend
If Gaines doesn't come back healthy and strong then I see our secondary as the one area we are worse.

Losing JJ was huge. Gaines can make up for him in pass coverage but not sure about run defense. JJ had a knack for that.

And Trumaine is always missing a few games for something.

And who's going to fill Mcleod's FS role.

We should be fine vs the NFC west for the most part but vs some good passing teams outside our division it could get rough.

nighttrain

Legend

But that's a dream.
but a darn nice dream, California Dreamin
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

But that's a dream.
That would be awesome.

Ram65

Legend
I think the defense is going top be better. A healthy Quinn is a big plus. Another year in Williams system and a faster Tree replacing JL is a big plus. Lot's of young talent going to compete in the secondary.

Hard to rate the offense without the new QB. Goff will make everyone better. He will also help the defense. Just cutting down the 3 and outs alone will help. He will also help score more points.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

But that's a dream.
One slight disagreement here..... the Vitale selection...... not that I don't like the player, but I see a need to add depth at the DT/NT position a bit higher than another H-Back/FB. We literally have no depth behind Brockers. We have a ton of DE/pass rushers and then nothing to clog the middle if MB happens to go down.

Now ... not having dome much scouting on the position for the draft... I have heard and read from many that this draft is soooo deep at the DT position, that guys getting picked in the late rounds and even UDFA will end up as starters. For my money ... I want in on that. Again ... not really disagreeing that we have a need at TE .. but I just place a bigger value on solidifying the DT depth. :)

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I think barring injuries, we are arguably better on our DL and LB. Chris Long in his prime, freed up Quinn, however he didn't help us much injured and older. Coples is exactly the type of project that can pay off big time. I think Ogletree will do great and the depth will be addressed... Not worried at all.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Obviously the Rams haven't suffered injuries for 2016 yet - but the defense in 2015 had the major Quinn injury, turning him from a great DE to just okay when he played. Long was injured, though Hayes played well in his stead - but that hurt depth. JL played all year, but shouldn't. Besides anything else about him, being one handed for much of the time made him less effective. Ogletree was hurt, but Barron filled in very capably at his position - enough that they didn't think twice of shifting Ogletree to MLB. They lost Jenkins but are regaining Gaines - hopefully. Fairley played well, but was just a rotation guy, and have some kids who are likely ready now.

Overall unless there is another large rash of injuries, I would expect the defense to be better. Especially if the offense can pick up a few more first downs to stay on the field.

The OL should be better overall - all those kids will have much more experience, which has to help. RB depth is less, they still need a WR or two and a new TE, though the Rams have 4 picks AND the chance to sign somebody else still. IF Goff is ready to play decently at QB, and not too many key players have major injuries, the Rams should be more than fine.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I think barring injuries, we are arguably better on our DL and LB. Chris Long in his prime, freed up Quinn, however he didn't help us much injured and older. Coples is exactly the type of project that can pay off big time. I think Ogletree will do great and the depth will be addressed... Not worried at all.
I am one that is really happy with the Coples pickup. I think he was totally used wrong at his previous stops and is tailor made for a defense like GW's and fits our scheme better. I truly think he can reach his original draft potential with us.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have two areas that stand to be much better in 2016 thats @ OL & LB units. The interior of the DL should also be better with he expereience from Aaron Donald & Micheal Brockers working together if nothing else if they remain healthy this defense will be Rock Hard. On the flip side a injury to either would weaken this unit seriously due to reserve talent. The Rams Defensive pass rush is all on DE Rob Quinn's damaged back:notsure:. CB & SS units should be the same. Deep Safety is not better.

Our WR/TE/RB units will be the same not good:palm:. QB unit should will improve week by week though & that does help this offense out(y). Way too many questions on this offense to really have any ideal what will happen:cautious:.