How Many Wrs In This Draft Are Potentially Better Than Rams Wrs?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
CoachO replied:
Simply cannot just go by the raw numbers.
Since that's what I said I can't argue with that. It is good to hear that you do in fact think that stats are indicative of potential. Even if they sometimes need to be qualified.

What I haven't heard in any of your posts in this thread is an answer to max's question. I frequently comment on just a small portion of someone's post so I'm not complaining but I am curious as to what your response to his question is. If you'd care to share.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Since that's what I said I can't argue with that. It is good to hear that you do in fact think that stats are indicative of potential. Even if they sometimes need to be qualified.

What I haven't heard in any of your posts in this thread is an answer to max's question. I frequently comment on just a small portion of someone's post so I'm not complaining but I am curious as to what your response to his question is. If you'd care to share.

Obviously, Watkins is the one guy who would come in with expectations to exceed what is already here. I just question the premise that he is a sure bet to be the #1 (have I mentioned I hate that term?) and why people seem to think he won't fall victim to the same types of issues that MOST rookie WRs struggle with. Ability aside, whoever they may bring just won't have the benefit of that veteran presence on the other side who will allow him to settle in.

As it has been said in here ad nausea, the majority of young receivers drafted high, have had that to fall back on. Jeffrey has Marshall. J. Jones had Roddy White. Torrey Smith had Boldin..... and so on. That guy just isn't here. Be it Watkins or whomever, they will have the burden of expectations to play at a HIGH level from day one. And its just not the norm.

Now, combine that with the offensive philosophy that they seem to have settled on, I just don't see any of these guys having the kind of impact on the offense that many in here want to believe they will.

I would rather they focus their attention on finding upgrades in the secondary, and on the interior OL, especially if they cannot re-sign Saffold.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
So we don't draft because of injury, we don't draft Safety because that nearly 20% of our D is not that important in our system. OL is out because we develop OL through FA and lower draft picks. WR, the learning curve and development time impair their immediate impact.
Process of elimination I think I am starting to get this.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So we don't draft because of injury, we don't draft Safety because that nearly 20% of our D is not that important in our system. OL is out because we develop OL through FA and lower draft picks. WR, the learning curve and development time impair their immediate impact.
Process of elimination I think I am starting to get this.
It's so clear - ain't it?

I thought we didn't draft LBs early because there are supposedly usually only 2 on the field. At least that was professed as common knowledge before we drafted AO. Think I'll just wait till May and be dazzled with Snead's craftiness. I never guess right anyway.

Alan

Legend
CoachO with his view of the available WRs:
I would rather they focus their attention on finding upgrades in the secondary, and on the interior OL, especially if they cannot re-sign Saffold.
That's a pretty damning critique of the WRs available in this draft. With the exception of Watkins of course. You seem to be out there on an island with that viewpoint but I've been there myself a time or two.:D Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

I like your bottom line that I quoted.

Alan

Legend
RamFan503 shirking his responsibilities:
Think I'll just wait till May and be dazzled with Snead's craftiness.
I'm extremely disappointed that you're not going to nitpick and complain about who we might draft. :disappoint:

I'm extremely disappointed that you're not going to nitpick and complain about who we might draft. :disappoint:

Best part of it, the draft is like Christmas, except you're allowed to complain that every present you get is awful :heh:.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I guess we will be drafting somewhere between #4 and #8 with our first pick. And Clowney will be gone and we aren't taking a QB.

I think that may be too high for Dennard, but who knows what happens in 3 months.

If they don't take an OT at that spot, I'm not sure who they take besides Watkins. I mean, I don't think they are taking a LB or FS there.

Alan

Legend
Yeah, I don't understand Stu's attitude. It's like Hanukkah in that we'll get to complain about 8 presents. :wow:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I guess we will be drafting somewhere between #4 and #8 with our first pick. And Clowney will be gone and we aren't taking a QB.

I think that may be too high for Dennard, but who knows what happens in 3 months.

If they don't take an OT at that spot, I'm not sure who they take besides Watkins. I mean, I don't think they are taking a LB or FS there.

Or they trade down again.

Me; I want a blue chip guy top 6, like Watkins. But a second trade down is very possible from the 4th-6th.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
"Alan, not understanding the futility of my weighing in on the draft." ]Yeah, I don't understand Stu's attitude. It's like Hanukkah in that we'll get to complain about 8 presents. :wow:

I get all geeked up on draft day as I see the trades and picks come in. Before that, I may read some of the projections and mocks but always with kind of a meh attitude. Rarely is anyone right about more than a pick or two so my give a damn doesn't show up much. I know - party pooper.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Or they trade down again.

Me; I want a blue chip guy top 6, like Watkins. But a second trade down is very possible from the 4th-6th.

Agreed. With 2 picks in the top half of the draft, I want a blue chip guy with one of them. And it looks like there will be a drop off after about 8 picks.

Outside of the 3 QBs and Clowney. There are 2 OTs, and Watkins and maybe Barr and/or Mack.

If there was a Patrick Peterson or Earl Thomas then I would like a DB. But it looks like Watkins is the best skill position guy on offense or defense in this draft.