How Many Starters?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
I'm not deviating from my belief that picks in the first 3 rounds should be starters. Eventually. How many this year, I'm hoping for FS, OT (at least at the start of the year), CB, and OG.

That's 4.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm voting 4. If that happens, we are playoff bound in 2014!

We need starters for day one at:
OT
LG
RG
CB
FS

One player can fill the OT/OG spot if you draft the right player, if we bring back Saffold then that would fill one of the OG spots, if not I wouldn't mind bringing back Dahl until Long is healthy and the OT we draft can fill Dahl's OG spot. So that amounts to two O line starters for me. Then you've got the two DBs, but can you find a decent CB in FA? Then if we can fill those holes I'd like a WR.

So I'll say 4, and if we can make a decent trade that should be easily doable.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I know for sure we'll draft a CB somewhere, but I don't think they'll start over TruJo or Jenkins their rookie year. Unless you consider nickelback a starting position?

I think Jenkins regressed a bit this season, so I don't know how set he would be as a starter if the right player were available at the right point in the draft.

I think a FS like Reynolds or Pryor are more of a need at this point though.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Barnes or Jones will be the starting center next year at Center, so I disagree with your comment not being on the roster. And Langford isn't going anywhere, contract is what it is, and he has played very well to justify it.

I agree with you to a point about McLeod, in that he is better served in a backup/depth role. But with him, Cody Davis, and Matt Daniels all still here, I have my doubts about them adding much there. Unless it is bringing in another veteran "depth" guy similar to Giordano like this past year. What seems to be overlooked here by almost everyone, Fisher does NOT differentiate between SS & FS, rather wanting guys with similar qualities in BOTH positions. The guy that is most likely to compete for that other safety spot, now with a year in the system could very well be C. Davis. he has the size, smarts, speed and is the best tackler of anyone currently on the roster. He would compliment McDonald and can play at the LOS or in coverage.

As far as how many DRAFT PICKS end up coming in and starting, I think the fewer the better. As Snead said recently ,the biggest area of improvement for this team will come from current players gaining more experience. Other than a 3rd CB and starters on the OL, I just don't see them adding more than 2 or 3 (at the most) new starters form the draft.

nighttrain

Legend
Barnes or Jones will be the starting center next year at Center, so I disagree with your comment not being on the roster. And Langford isn't going anywhere, contract is what it is, and he has played very well to justify it.

I agree with you to a point about McLeod, in that he is better served in a backup/depth role. But with him, Cody Davis, and Matt Daniels all still here, I have my doubts about them adding much there. Unless it is bringing in another veteran "depth" guy similar to Giordano like this past year. What seems to be overlooked here by almost everyone, Fisher does NOT differentiate between SS & FS, rather wanting guys with similar qualities in BOTH positions. The guy that is most likely to compete for that other safety spot, now with a year in the system could very well be C. Davis. he has the size, smarts, speed and is the best tackler of anyone currently on the roster. He would compliment McDonald and can play at the LOS or in coverage.

As far as how many DRAFT PICKS end up coming in and starting, I think the fewer the better. As Snead said recently ,the biggest area of improvement for this team will come from current players gaining more experience. Other than a 3rd CB and starters on the OL, I just don't see them adding more than 2 or 3 (at the most) new starters form the draft.
really hoping for Davis to stand out
train

jjab360

Legend
So, if I'm reading this right, you don't think the Rams will go safety early in the draft? Honestly, I've never viewed the guys you listed as much more than STers and depth guys. You really think Cody Davis is cut out to be a starting safety in the NFL right now?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
So, if I'm reading this right, you don't think the Rams will go safety early in the draft? Honestly, I've never viewed the guys you listed as much more than STers and depth guys. You really think Cody Davis is cut out to be a starting safety in the NFL right now?

As I gaze out over the prospects @ safety.... Myself.... could see the Rams going after a DB who could do many things CB/both safeties posts & Nickle & Dime posts i.e. Lamarcus Joyner on day two. But is as high as I see them taking anything close to a safety.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

It wouldn't surprise me to see them draft a Safety, but it would be similar to last year when they got McDonald in the mid rounds. I'm basing a lot of my opinion on something K. Demoff said on a couple of different occasion at the Season Ticket luncheons last winter. If anyone has the chance to attend these, I highly recommend it. He is very forthcoming with his comments. Obviously he has topics he steers clear of, but when it came to talking LAST YEAR about the safety position, he was quite direct. He all but echoed many fans sentiments regarding Dahl, and the unlikeliness of him being re-signed.

But his most telling comment, at least to me, was the value this staff places on the safety position. While he did say they are always looking to upgrade ANY position, he said that Fisher just does not place a high value (relative to other defensive positions) on the Safety position. Now granted, much of what he was talking about was referencing spending high $$$ on bringing in a FA. So, for those who think they will be in the Jarius Byrd sweepstakes, I have serious doubts.

Now, to answer your question regarding Davis. I absolutely think he could be a viable starter. In any other year, he would have been a mid round (3-4 round) draft pick. Last years safety crop was deep and he eventually was on the outside looking in.

But he has the measurable, size, speed, and most importantly, the smarts to play the position. IMO, the biggest thing that worked against hi last year, was the overall inexperience of the secondary. Having 2 CBs starting just their 2nd year, and a Safety in his ROOKIE season, just made it next to impossible to start a pair of rookies back there.

Watching Davis is training camp, along with McLeod, he showed the ability to see a play develop, and could anticipate where to be PRIOR to the ball being thrown. Whether it was Stewart, Daniels, or even Giordano, they all seemed to react to the play AFTER it was made, and either get there just a step late, if at all.

The other thing, if you look at Davis' numbers at Texas Tech, he was ranked among the nation's best in solo tackles. While not necessarily a big hitter, he gets guys on the ground. While I acknowledge he was not as consistent in the preseason, I think that had as much to do with needing to adjust to the speed of the game as anything else. Now that he got his feet wet, so to speak as a core ST player, and has a year in the system, I doubt that is an issue for him at this point.

He is in the exact same place as McLeod was going into this past season. A year to learn the system, but is bigger, faster, and a better tackler. Which, to me, was the biggest negative about the safety play in 2013. They were among the worst tackling group in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

It amazes me how many want to get rid of Kendall Langford. He wasn't bad his 1st year here, and just had a career year this past season. Plus he's only what, 26 or 27 years old?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It amazes me how many want to get rid of Kendall Langford. He wasn't bad his 1st year here, and just had a career year this past season. Plus he's only what, 26 or 27 years old?

So many wannabe GMS who like to place a "value" on contracts. Not sure how much they think replacing him with another 26/27 yr old vet would cost.

I have yet to hear of an instance where they weren't able to pursue a player they were serious about because lack of cap space. They might now OFFER what a particular player "thinks" he is worth, but when Fisher of Snead wants a player, they will pay what they have to to get him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have stated this before that to me Kendall Langford was more consistent than Brockers over the 16 games. I also thought that Kendall show'd real good improvement this season & finally settled down to his new 43 DT post. One more thing Kendall is no longer under 295 pounds as he is listed when he was with Miami @ DE but pushing closer to 320 & getting even stronger in the run game!

Whatever we do we have to improve the pass D, if we can do that without drafting a FS cool, but we're a not awful pass D away from an elite defence.