How important is culture?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
This thread is inspired by the discussion going on in EastRams excellent "How important is coaching?" thread. As it went up the ladder to owners and GMs, it got me thinking about the different relationships the staffs can have. I tend to think of this as a culture for a football club - it lends itself to an identity for the guys between the lines. At the end of the day (and it may just be semantics, but whatevs), that synergy between owner, GM and coach is what I would call the culture of the staff, and to me it's probably the most vital factor to on the field success.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Culture is important on every club.

Culture+Club.jpg

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
EastRam said:
Didn't the dude standing up break Boy Georges heart.

I assure you there were many dudes that broke Boy Georges heart.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Culture's pretty damn important as well. Anyone who's played organized sports can attest to that. It only takes one or two guys to turn a locker room into a hostile environment, and it only takes one or two primadonnas to take morale down a couple of notches.

But I'd put it secondary to coaching. Mainly because guys that can ruin cultures on other teams, can somehow get "in line" with a different coach and/or coaching staff. Take Fisher, for instance. Only guy I know of that could get Haynesworth to play. Only guy who could manage this many different personalities and get them all on the same page too. It's probably the reason why Spagnuolo/Devaney wouldn't tolerate character risks. They probably weren't confident in their ability to manage those types of personalities.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He did end the relationship those two had. But the real heartbreak in Boy George's life was brought on by his ego and drug abuse. It's too bad, and a familiar story. The guy had a very good voice and knew how to get people to pay attention.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Let me think about this one....

Would I rather have an owner (creator of the culture) who makes all football decisions based off of -
NUMBER 1 what her horoscope tells her today,
and
NUMBER 2 how much money her bean counter tells her she can spend on tonight's dinner party.

Or would I rather have an owner who spares no expense hiring competent football people to handle the business of football.

:idk:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As to the actual subject matter of the thread the Culture is very important and you only have to look at the past two regimes to come away with a difference.

Steve Spagnuolo ran away from the GSOT days and any history of success the Rams had. He wanted a total new beginning and that's fine, but you always embrace the history of the success your franchise has endured and you bring the players in that can speak to that success.

Fisher had done that in more ways than one and yes Kroenke has allowed Fish to do so, but Dick Vermeil proved you have to get everyone to buy in even the person that sweeps the parking lot, they all have a part in the culture of the franchise.

As written about many times the issue with first time Head Coaches is they sweat the small stuff. Spagnuolo did that and that lead to his demise. Martz did that as well even though his team had so much talent and his system was special.

There was quite a bit of dysfunction under the regime of Billy Devaney & Steve Spagnuolo and Demoff, Snead & Fisher are making all the right moves and hopefully the wins will follow which makes the culture all that much better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'd like to take the opportunity to remake this song.

[mp3]http://ramsondemand.com/music/ccyes.mp3[/mp3]

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
One of the better remixes in awhile! LMAO